|Single by Matchbox Twenty|
|from the album More Than You Think You Are|
|Released||April 3, 2003|
|Matchbox Twenty singles chronology|
"Unwell" is a song by American alternative rock group Matchbox Twenty. It was released in April 2003 as the second single from their third album, More Than You Think You Are (2002). It was written by Matchbox Twenty lead singer Rob Thomas. It was very successful on the radio, spending 18 weeks at the top of the US Billboard Adult Top 40 chart, two weeks atop the Billboard Hot Adult Contemporary Tracks chart, as well as reaching No. 5 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart. The song was nominated for a Grammy Award in 2004 for Best Pop Performance by a Duo or Group with Vocal.
On the live DVD Show: A Night in the Life of Matchbox Twenty, Rob Thomas states that he wrote the song as a metaphor for humanity in general, a song for people who are "messed up and feel alone like that. We all feel a little messed up sometimes... you're not alone."
Directed by Meiert Avis, the music video predominantly features lead singer Rob Thomas seeing various odd occurrences throughout, all the while singing along to the song. The other band members only appear in cameos, notably when Thomas boards a subway and they are seen in the background. The appearance of the other band mates is also altered like most of the video (their noses are rather large). The other band members are also seen at the end of the video gathered in Thomas' room, and each takes their turn waving goodbye to the camera before Thomas does so as well at the end of the video. One of the reasons Rob Thomas picked Meiert Avis to direct is because his concept for the video was the closest thing to an acid trip out of every other idea.
The song also was the second most-played song in the United States in 2003 according to Billboard magazine. The music video was No. 1 on VH1's Top 40 Videos of 2003. In 2011, VH1 named the song as the 82nd best song of the 2000s.
- Australia Maxi-CD
- "Unwell" – 3:55
- "All I Need" (live) – 3:41
- "Unwell" (live acoustic) – 4:12
- Whitburn, Joel (2004). The Billboard Book of Top 40 Hits, 8th Edition (Billboard Publications)
- "Australian-charts.com – Matchbox Twenty – Unwell". ARIA Top 50 Singles.
- "Brazil" (PDF). ABPD. October 6, 2001. Retrieved April 1, 2014.
- "Charts.nz – Matchbox Twenty – Unwell". Top 40 Singles.
- Romanian Top 100: Editia 37, saptamina 29.09-05-10, 2003
- "Official Singles Chart Top 100". Official Charts Company.
- "Matchbox Twenty Chart History (Hot 100)". Billboard.
- "Matchbox Twenty Chart History (Adult Pop Songs)". Billboard.
- "Matchbox Twenty Chart History (Adult Contemporary)". Billboard.
- "Matchbox Twenty Chart History (Pop Songs)". Billboard.
- "End of Year Charts 2003". Recorded Music NZ. Retrieved December 12, 2017.
- "Billboard Top 100 – 2003". Archived from the original on 2009-03-04. Retrieved 2010-08-28.
- "Billboard Hot 100 Decade-End 2000-2009". Retrieved 2018-05-19.