Up All Night: The Live Tour
|Up All Night: The Live Tour|
|Video by One Direction|
|Released||28 May 2012|
|Recorded||3 January 2012 at International Centre in Bournemouth, England|
Up All Night: The Live Tour is a video album documenting the 3 January 2012 show of English-Irish boy band One Direction's Up All Night Tour. It was released on 28 May 2012 by Syco Music. Filmed at the International Centre in the British city of Bournemouth, the 73-minute recording was directed by Andy Saunders and produced by Saunders and Tom Bairstaw. Up All Night: The Live Tour features concert footage and backstage content.
It attracted positive commentary and global success, having topped the charts in twenty-five countries and selling one million copies by August 2012. The recording additionally obtained multi-platinum certifications from the Australian Recording Industry Association (ARIA), Music Canada (MC), the Syndicat National de l'Édition Phonographique (SNEP), and the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA).
Development and release
The 73-minute recording was directed by Andy Saunders, and was produced by Saunders and Tom Bairstaw. Security was provided by Preston Mahon and Jag Chagger. Karen Ringland was the band chaperone, and Jon Shone was the musical director. During the concert, Shone additionally performed key boards, Sandy Beales performed bass guitar, Josh Devine performed drums, and Dan Richards performed guitar. Paul Higgins, Richard Griffiths, Harry Magee, Will Bloomfield served as managers, and Marco Gastel assistant. Tom Bairstow carried out the video production, Rob Derbyshire soundtracks, and Rob Arbuckle screen 3D visualisations. Matt English served as show's graphic designer, Helene Horlyck vocal coach, Louise Doyle creative director, Paul Roberts choreographer, Caroline Watson and Lydia Taylor costume stylists, and Crystabel Riley and Lou Teasdale groomers.
Up All Night: The Live Tour was available to pre-order by early April 2012. In support of the release, a preview of the recording, its performance of "Moments", was released on 12 April. A 30-second preview of its "More than This" performance premiered on the CBS entertainment television news show Entertainment Tonight on 9 May. The entire "More than This" performance debuted on YouTube on 11 May, with MTV News editor Jocelyn Vena suggesting that fans would appreciate the recording's sequences. The video album was released on DVD and Blu-ray on 28 May, by Syco Music and Columbia Records. One Direction held a global Twitter viewing party for Up All Night: The Live Tour on 31 May. Utilising the hashtag #1DVDWatchParty, fans had the opportunity to talk to the band directly on Twitter as the group's members and fans watched the recording simultaneously.
Up All Night: The Live Tour garnered positive commentary and global success, having topped the charts in twenty-five countries and selling one million copies by August 2012. A Yahoo! contributor favoured the concert's acoustic performances as showcasing the members' individual tones and vocal prowess. Joanne Dorken, writing for MTV News, praised the group's stage presence and the content itself as having "all the thrills and spills you would expect from a 1D concert". She additionally deemed it "a must have for any Directioner", a One Direction fan, as it gives "an up-close-and-personal insight into the world" of the boy band.  An editor for Sugarscape shared Dorken's sentiments and summarised it as "all good fun", but was dismayed by the choreography in the "What Makes You Beautiful" performance. The recording reached number six on the United Kingdom's Official Video Chart, and had sold 61,000 units in the United Kingdom by 2 August 2012. In Australia, it debuted at number one on the ARIA DVD chart and was certified six times platinum by the Australian Recording Industry Association (ARIA) for shipments of 90,000 units in its first week of sale. The recording was ultimately certified nine times platinum in Australia for shipments of 135,000 units.
In the United States, Up All Night: The Live Tour debuted at number one on Billboard's Top Music Videos chart with first-week sales of 76,000 copies, surpassing sales of the Billboard 200 number one album, John Mayer's Born and Raised, which sold 65,000 copies. One Direction made US chart history as the feat marks the first time a music DVD had outsold the Billboard 200 number one album. Its opening figure also makes it the highest music DVD debut of 2012 and the second highest debut in the past five years behind Adele's Live at the Royal Albert Hall, which launched at number one in December 2011, with 96,000 copies. In the week ending 27 January 2013, Up All Night: The Live Tour claimed its 30th week on top of the Top Music Videos Chart, which is longer than any other title since the chart originated in March 1995. It surpassed Ray Stevens' Comedy Video Classics, which logged 29 weeks on top in 1993-1994. The recording was ultimately certified five times platinum by the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) on 29 May 2013, indicating shipments of 500,000 copies. In Mexico the DVD debuted at number-one of the Music DVD Chart selling over 10,000 copies, being certified Gold in its first week. Two months after its release it had gone on to sell over 40,000 copies and was certified double platinum by Mexican Recording Industry Association (AMPROFON). Up All Night: The Live Tour ended up as the best selling International DVD of the year with sales of 50,000.
|1.||"Na Na Na"||3:05|
|4.||"Medley: "I Gotta Feeling", "Stereo Hearts", "Valerie", "Torn""||4:23|
|6.||"Gotta Be You"||3.21|
|7.||"More than This"||Jamie Scott||3:48|
|8.||"Up All Night"||
|9.||"Tell Me a Lie"||
|10.||"Everything About You"||3:35|
|11.||"Use Somebody"||Kings of Leon||4:13|
|13.||"Save You Tonight"||3:24|
|14.||"What Makes You Beautiful"||
|15.||"I Want"||Tom Fletcher||3.27|
- Special features
- "On Tour with One Direction"
- Music videos of "What Makes You Beautiful", "Gotta Be You", and "One Thing"
|Australia (ARIA)||10× Platinum||150,000^|
|Canada (Music Canada)||6× Platinum||60,000^|
|France (SNEP)||3× Platinum||45,000*|
|United Kingdom (BPI)||2× Platinum||100,000^|
|United States (RIAA)||5× Platinum||500,000^|
*sales figures based on certification alone
- Up All Night: The Live Tour (booklet). One Direction. London, United Kingdom: Syco Music, a division of Sony Music Entertainment. 2012.
- Corner, Lewis (12 April 2012). "One Direction perform 'Moments' on tour – video". Digital Spy. Hearst Corporation. Retrieved 27 April 2012.
- Vena, Jocelyn (10 May 2012). "One Direction tease 'More Than This' from live DVD release". MTV News. Viacom. Retrieved 4 April 2013.
- Lane, Dan (2 August 2012). "One Direction sell 12 million singles, albums and DVD and Blu-rays worldwide". United Kingdom: Official Charts Company. Retrieved 2 August 2012.
- "One Direction to hold global Twitter viewing party for new concert DVD". Music Week. Intent Media. 30 May 2012. Retrieved 11 June 2012.
- Jones, Rhian (8 June 2012). "One Direction live DVD hits No.1 in 25 countries". Music Week. Intent Media. Retrieved 11 June 2012.
- "One Direction Up All Night Tour DVD review (what you really need to know)". Yahoo!. 15 May 2012. Retrieved 13 February 2013.
- Dorken, Joanne (29 May 2012). "One Direction - Up All Night: Live Tour DVD Review!". MTV News. (Viacom). Retrieved 13 February 2013.
- "Review: One Direction 'Up All Night - the live tour' dvd". Sugarscape. Hearst Corporation. 28 May 2012. Retrieved 11 May 2013.
- "One Direction's live DVD reaches 6x platinum after one week". Nova FM. DMG Radio Australia. Retrieved 9 July 2012.
- "ARIA Charts – Accreditations – 2012 DVDs". Australian Recording Industry Association (ARIA). Retrieved 2 October 2012.
- Caufield, Keith (6 June 2012). "One Direction's 'Up All Night: The Live Tour' Debuts at No. 1". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved 11 June 2012.
- Grein, Paul (30 January 2013). "Week Ending Jan. 27, 2013. Albums: Gary Allan Bumps Off Swift". Yahoo!. Retrieved 11 June 2013.
- "Gold and Platinum > Searchable Database > One Direction". Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA). Archived from the original on 5 January 2015. Retrieved 29 May 2012.
- 1D consigue un Platino más con su DVD en México
- Up All Night: The Live Tour Platino + Oro en México
- "Hitlisten.NU – Danmarks officielle hitlister". Tracklisten (in Danish). Hitlisten.NU. Retrieved August 29, 2015.
- "Top 20 DVD 12/25". Productores de Música de España (in Spanish). promusicae.es. Retrieved August 29, 2015.
- "Sverigetopplistan – Sveriges Officiella Topplista". IFPI Sweden (in Swedish). sverigetopplistan.se. Retrieved August 29, 2015. Note: Search for "One Direction", then press "Sök" to see the results. Select the video album and press "VISA" to see selected charting positions.
- "One Direction – Up All Night – The Live Tour [DVD] – hitparade.ch". Schweizer Hitparade (in German). Steffen Hung (Hung Medien). Retrieved August 29, 2015.
- "ARIA Charts - End Of Year Charts - Top 50 Music DVDs 2012". Australian Recording Industry Association (ARIA). Retrieved 10 January 2013.
- "ultratop.be - Ultratop Belgian charts". ultratop.be. Hung Medien. Retrieved 24 December 2012.
- "Top 20 DVDs 2012" (PDF) (in Portuguese). Associação Brasileira dos Produtores de Discos. p. 8. Archived from the original (pdf) on 7 September 2013. Retrieved 6 September 2013.
- "Best of 2012". Irish Recorded Music Association (IRMA). Retrieved 12 June 2013.
- "ARIA Charts – Accreditations – 2015 DVDs". Australian Recording Industry Association. Retrieved August 29, 2015.
- "Canadian video certifications – One Direction – Up All Night - The Live Tour". Music Canada. Retrieved August 29, 2015.
- "French video certifications – One Direction – Up All Night - The Live Tour" (in French). Syndicat National de l'Édition Phonographique. Retrieved August 29, 2015.
- "Certificaciones – One Direction" (in Spanish). Asociación Mexicana de Productores de Fonogramas y Videogramas. Retrieved August 29, 2015.
- "PARI - List of PARI Gold, Platinum & Diamond Awardees". PARI. 3 January 2016.
- "Sverigetopplistan – Sveriges Officiella Topplista". IFPI Sweden (in Swedish). sverigetopplistan.se. Retrieved August 29, 2015. Note: Search for "One Direction", then press "Sök" to see the results. Select the video album and press "VISA" to see selected certificaten awards.
- "British video certifications – One Direction – UP ALL NIGHT - THE LIVE TOUR". British Phonographic Industry. Retrieved August 29, 2015. Enter UP ALL NIGHT - THE LIVE TOUR in the field Keywords. Select Title in the field Search by. Select DVD in the field By Format. Select Platinum in the field By Award. Click Search
- "American video certifications – One Direction – UP ALL NIGHT - THE LIVE TOUR". Recording Industry Association of America. Retrieved August 29, 2015. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Video Longform, then click SEARCH