Upādhyāya is the surname of some members of the Madhwa Shivalli Brahmins and Havyaka Brahmins of Karnataka, Kota Brahmins of the Kundapur and surrounding areas of Udupi and the Audichya Brahmins of Gujarat and Uttar Pradesh. The Gujarat Brahmins of Shandilya are in Surat. Amongst Telugu Brahmins, Upadhyay is turned into Upadhyayula, with an "ula" at the end.
Upadhyay is also one of the surnames of the brahmin community Trivedi Mewada Brahmin Barishi of Gujarat. Brahmins of Trivedi Mewada Brahmin Barishi belonged to Mewar region of Rajasthan but later migrated to Gujarat during the time of Maharana Pratap.
Notable people with the surname include:
- Amar Upadhyay, Indian model, film and television actor
- Amod Prasad Upadhyay (born 1936), Nepalese social worker and politician
- Brahmabandhab Upadhyay (1861–1907), Bengali Brahmin, nephew of the Indian freedom-fighter Kalicharan Banerjee
- Chandramauli Upadhyay, Indian astrologer
- Harilal Upadhyay (1916–1994), Gujarati author
- Hema Upadhyay (born 1972), Indian artist who has lived and worked in Mumbai, India since 1998
- Munishwar Dutt Upadhyay, Indian politician and statesman, leader in the Indian independence movement
- Ram Kinkar Upadhyay, noted scholar on Indian scriptures and a recepeient of Padma Bhushan, the third highest civil award of India
- Samrat Upadhyay, Nepalese writer who writes in English
- Seema Upadhyay (born 1965), Indian politician, belonging to Bahujan Samaj Party
- Shrikrishna Upadhyay (born 1945), Nepalese economist
- Umesh Upadhyay, veteran Indian television journalist & media executive, President News at Network18
- Vikas Upadhyay, General Secretary for All India Youth Congress
In Jainism, an upadhyay is the second highest leader of a Jain ascetic order after Acharya. Fourth Shloka of Namokar Mantra says Namo Uvvajhayanam meaning bow to all upadhyayas. Current Upadhyay in Jainism is Upadhyay Niyamsagar Ji.
Ravi Kant Upadhyay
- Nepal, an historical miscellany By Mahesh Chandra Regmi
|This page or section lists people with the surname Upadhyay. If an internal link intending to refer to a specific person led you to this page, you may wish to change that link by adding the person's given name(s) to the link.|