Upbit is a South Korean cryptocurrency exchange.
Sirgoo Lee was named CEO of Dunamu, Upbit’s parent company, on December 21, 2017, with Dunamu founder and CEO Chi-hyung Song assuming the role of Chairman. Lee previously served as Co-CEO of Kakao Corp. and JOINS, Inc.
Approximately two months after its launch, Upbit became the top global cryptocurrency exchange in terms of 24-hour trading volume.
On May 10, 2018 its main office was raided as part of a fraud probe.
In December 2018, Upbit became the first cryptocurrency exchange in the world to receive certifications from the Korea Internet and Security Agency for Information Security Management System (ISMS) and the International Organization for Standardization (ISO) for information security (ISO 27001), cloud security (ISO 27017) and cloud privacy (ISO 27018).
Upbit ranked third globally and first in Korea in the April Market Surveillance Report published by the Blockchain Transparency Institute (BTI) on April 12, 2019. The ranking is based on 24-hour trading volume. BTI also recognized Upbit as a BTI Verified exchange, indicating that it is among the cleanest exchanges in BTI’s global ranking.
- "Korea's Largest Cryptocurrency Exchange 'Upbit' Starts Providing Open Beta Services". BusinessKorea. October 25, 2017.
- "Ex-Kakao CEO named to lead Upbit operator Dunamu". www.theinvestor.co.kr. Retrieved 2019-04-12.
- "Korea's Cryptocurrency Exchange 'Upbit' Ranks First in the World in Daily Transactions". 비즈니스코리아 - BusinessKorea (in Korean). 2018-01-17. Retrieved 2019-04-12.
- "Bitcoin Prices Slide as South Korea's Largest Crypto Exchange Gets Raided". The Wall Street Journal. May 11, 2018.
- "Upbit launches crypto exchange in Singapore". www.theinvestor.co.kr. Retrieved 2019-04-12.
- "Upbit indicted for issuing fake cryptocurrency orders". The Korea Times. December 21, 2018.
- "Another cryptocurrency fraud case further dampens market sentiment". The Korean Herald. December 21, 2018.
- "Upbit cryptoexchange may have faked trades". Korea JoongAng Daily. December 22, 2018.
- "Upbit wins 3 ISO information security certifications". 서울경제 (in Korean). 2018-12-11. Retrieved 2019-04-12.
- "Market Surveillance Report - April 2019". BTI. Retrieved 2019-04-12.