Upper Arlington High School
|Upper Arlington High School|
|1650 Ridgeview Road
Upper Arlington, Ohio, 43221
|Type||Public, Coeducational high school|
|Color(s)||Black and Gold |
|Fight song||Stand Up And Cheer|
|Athletics conference||Ohio Capital Conference|
|Rival||Dublin Coffman High School|
Upper Arlington High School is the sole high school in the Upper Arlington City School District in Upper Arlington, Ohio, a northwest suburb of Columbus, Ohio. It receives students from Jones Middle School and Hastings Middle School. The current principal of the high school is Mr. Andrew Theado. The school is located at 1650 Ridgeview Road, Upper Arlington, Ohio, 43221. The mascot is a golden bear.
Upper Arlington High School offers Honors and Advanced Placement courses two to three years ahead of requirements and joined the International Baccalaureate program in 2005. As a requirement for graduation, Upper Arlington High School requires 4 credits in language arts, including a "Capstone"; 4 credits in mathematics; 3 credits in science; 3 credits in social studies; 2 credits in foreign language, cooperative, and family and consumer sciences ; 1 credit in art (either in music, visual arts, or drama); one half-credit in health and one half-credit in physical education; one half-credit in speech; and 2.5 credits in electives.
The high school sports teams are named the Golden Bears. Golf pro and UAHS alumnus Jack Nicklaus received his Golden Bear nickname from his alma mater. Golden Bear sports teams consistently rank among the top Division I schools in Ohio, particularly in the sports of football, golf, tennis, basketball, water polo, cross country, lacrosse, and swimming. The Upper Arlington football team captured the Division One state title in football in 2000, and were led by Jeff Backes, who earned the Mr. Football Award for Ohio, and Simon Fraser, who went on to play for the Ohio State Buckeyes and Cleveland Browns.
The school also has a rowing team that competes throughout the school year, rowing during Fall and Spring seasons. The Upper Arlington Crew team is the only scholastic rowing program in central Ohio, and it consistently races to top finishes at prestigious events such as the Midwest Scholastic, Midwest Junior, Scholastic Nationals and US Rowing Youth National Championship Regattas. The team also frequently sends boats to the Head of the Charles Regatta, a selective rowing event that attracts the best rowers from all over the world.
Upper Arlington is 3rd all-time in Ohio with 44 Ohio High School Athletic Association team state championships. Upper Arlington has won 116 state titles overall, including sports not sponsored by the OHSAA. Upper Arlington holds the record for most OHSAA state championships in one year (Boys Golf, Girls Cross Country, Boy's Swimming & Diving, Boys Baseball) set in 1986-1987.
Ohio High School Athletic Association State Championships
- Boys Baseball - 1987, 1990
- Boys Basketball - 1937
- Boys Football – 1967, 1968, 1969, 2000
- Boys Golf – 1941,1956,1960,1965,1968,1969,1972,1974,1977,1981,1982,1985,1986,1992,1993,1999,2006
- Boys Swimming – 1985, 1986, 1987
- Boys Track and Field – 1937, 1939
- Girls Basketball - 1988 
- Girls Cross Country – 1978, 1981, 1982, 1985, 1986, 1990
- Girls Gymnastics - 1995
- Girls Swimming – 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2015
- Girls Track and Field – 1985
Other team state championships
- Boys Tennis* - 1972, 1977, 1979, 1980, 1981, 1982, 1983, 1986, 1989, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2010, 2012, 2013 
- Girls Tennis* - 1981, 1982, 1996, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2008, 2010, 2013 
- Boys Water Polo** - 1992, 1993, 1994, 2000, 2004, 2009, 2012 
- Girls Water Polo** - 1994, 1995, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014
- Boys Lacrosse*** - 1994, 1995, 1997, 1998, 2000, 2001, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2013, 2014 
- Girls Lacrosse - 2002, 2004, 2005, 2008, 2013
- * Sponsored by The Ohio Tennis Coaches' Association
- ** Sponsored by Ohio High School Swim Coaches Association
- *** Sponsored by Ohio High School Lacrosse Association
The high school has a number of clubs and activities that are available to the students. What is unique about these clubs is that the majority of them are student created and organized, with supervision of a teacher advisor. List of Clubs
The school's student-run, nationally accredited and award-winning newsmagazine, Arlingtonian, runs 9 issues each school year and as well as a spring supplement.
The school's public access broadcast network, WARL, is operated by broadcasting students and also helps plan the community's annual film festival in the spring.
The speech and debate club regularly qualifies students for both state and national competition, as well as hosting one Ohio tournament each year.
- Blake Annen - NFL player
- Lois McMaster Bujold - Hugo Award winning novelist
- Cathy Busby - Geologist, University of California
- Beverly D'Angelo - Actress
- Sam Devine - Former United States Representative
- Inka Essenhigh - Painter
- Richard Foltz - Historian
- Simon Fraser - former Atlanta Falcons football player
- Rose Goettemoeller - Assistant Secretary of State for Arms Control, Verification, and Compliance and the Chief Negotiator of the New START Treaty
- Abigail Johnston - Olympics diver, silver medalist
- Erin Moriarty - News Correspondent for 48 Hours on CBS
- Jack Nicklaus - Professional golfer
- Randy Skinner - Director, Choreographer, Performer
- George Smoot - Nobel Prize winning astrophysicist
- Melinda Lou Thomas - "Wendy" of Wendy's Restaurants
- Terry Waldo - Ragtime Artist
- Jeffrey Sharp - President and CEO of Story Mining & Supply Co.
Notes and references
- OHSAA. "Ohio High School Athletic Association member directory". Retrieved 2010-02-17.
- "Arlingtonian". arlingtonian.com. Retrieved 12 May 2015.
- "Norwester Yearbooks". uaarchives.org. Retrieved 12 May 2015.
- UAHS. "Upper Arlington High School Program of Study" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 2007-10-20. Retrieved 2007-12-13.
- UA Crew. "UA Crew". Retrieved 2013-09-29.
- Yappi. "Yappi Sports Baseball". Retrieved 2007-02-12.
- Yappi. "Yappi Sports Basketball A". Retrieved 2007-02-12.
- http://www.goldenbearfootball.com/RecordsAwards.htm. Missing or empty
- OHSAA. "Ohio High School Athletic Association Web site". Retrieved 2006-12-31.
- OTCA. "Ohio Tennis Coaches' Association Web site". Retrieved 2007-03-08.
- OHSSCA. "Ohio High School Swim Coaches' Association-Boys Water Polo State Champions" (PDF). Retrieved 2011-02-21.
- OHSSCA. "Ohio High School Swim Coaches' Association-Girls Water Polo State Champions" (PDF). Retrieved 2011-02-21.
- OHSSCA. "Ohio High School Lacrosse Association". Retrieved 2007-03-08.
- UAN. "UA News". Retrieved 2009-08-14.
- UAHS. "Program of Studies" (PDF). UAHS. Retrieved 21 March 2011.