Upper Ferntree Gully railway station
Eastbound view in April 2006
|Location||Burwood Highway, Upper Ferntree Gully|
|Operated by||Metro Trains|
|Distance||37.66 kilometres from Southern Cross|
|Fare zone||Myki zone 2|
|Website||Public Transport Victoria|
|Opened||4 December 1889|
|Previous names||Upper Fern Tree Gully|
Upper Ferntree Gully railway station is located on the Belgrave line in Victoria, Australia. It serves the eastern Melbourne suburb of Upper Ferntree Gully and opened on 4 December 1889. It was upgraded to a premium station on 2 July 1996.
Upper Ferntree Gully contains a signal panel, installed in 1964, that controls the single-track line between Ferntree Gully and Belgrave stations. The station also monitors, via closed circuit television, all stations from Heathmont to Belgrave, and answers emergency calls from those stations. A few services each day originate and terminate at Upper Ferntree Gully. The trains are stabled overnight in six of the seven sidings opposite the station.
Upper Ferntree Gully station opened on 4 December 1889. After December 1900 it became the break-of-gauge station between the broad gauge used through most of Victoria, and the narrow gauge Gembrook line (now the Puffing Billy Railway), one of the five narrow gauge lines of the Victorian Railways. The narrow gauge line was closed in 1954, but the line as far as Belgrave was later rebuilt as a broad gauge electrified railway, which opened on 18 February 1962.
On 4 August 1975 the name of the station was altered slightly to Upper Fern Tree Gully, although in more recent times most references have reverted to the original name. Boom barriers were provided at Hilltop Road level crossing in 1985.
Platforms & services
- "Upper Ferntree Gully". Vicsig. Retrieved 4 January 2017.
- "Upgrading Eltham to a Premium Station". Newsrail. Australian Railway Historical Society. October 1997. p. 310.
- VR History by Andrew Waugh
- "Belgrave Line". Public Transport Victoria.
- "688 Croydon - Upper Ferntree Gully via Olinda and Tremont". Public Transport Victoria.
- "693 Belgrave - Oakleigh via Ferntree Gully & Brandon Park". Public Transport Victoria.
- "732 Box Hill - Upper Ferntree Gully via Vermont South & Knox City & Mountain Gate". Public Transport Victoria.