Upper Hill, Nairobi
Upper Hill in 2008
|Nickname(s): Uppa, Upper|
|Elevation||5,600 ft (1,700 m)|
Upper Hill is a district of the city of Nairobi, the capital and largest city of Kenya. The district has seen an increased in major construction in recent years, with several multinational corporations setting up their offices there.
Upper Hill is located 4 kilometres (2 mi) by road west of the central business district of Nairobi. The coordinates of Upper Hill are: 1°17'59.0"S, 36°48'58.0"E (Latitude:-1.299719; Longitude:36.816097).
Upper Hill was historically one of the residential neighbourhoods of the city of Nairobi, during the colonial times. The 700 acres that comprise Upper Hill were previously owned by Kenya Railways. During the 1990s and early 2000s, as land and office space became scarce and exorbitantly priced in the central business district, more businesses relocated to Upper Hill and Westlands, where land and office space were more readily available and less expensive. Today, Upper Hill possesses a new modern skyline that is still being filled by modern skyscrapers of different and prestigious designs in the architectural world.
In Upper Hill or near the boundaries of the suburb, there are several landmarks, including the following:
- The Kenyan regional offices of EMC Corporation
- Nairobi Hospital
- Nairobi Club Ground – An upscale private membership cricket club, with a clubhouse and cricket oval.
- The offices of the World Health Organization in Kenya
- Upper Hill School
- The British High Commission in Kenya
- The Kenyan headquarters of the African Development Bank
- The Kenyan headquarters of Citibank
- The East and Central African headquarters of Coca Cola
- The Rahimtulla Tower, a twenty-two storey office skyscraper
- The Kenyan headquarters of PriceWaterhouseCoopers, located in the Rahimtulla Tower
- The Kenyan headquarters of Africaonline, located in the Rahimtulla Tower
- The Kenyan offices of the World Bank, located in Hill Park Building
- The Kenyan offices of the International Finance Corporation, located in the CBA Building.
- The headquarters of Victoria Commercial Bank, located in Victoria Towers on Kilimanjaro Avenue
- Kenya Commercial Bank Plaza (KCB Plaza) – Construction began in December 2010. Occupancy expected in 2013.
- Waitathu, Nicholas (30 January 2015). "Upperhill land most expensive at Sh470 million an acre, report shows". The Star (Kenya). Nairobi. Retrieved 27 April 2016.
- Munda, Constant (26 January 2016). "An acre of land in Upper Hill shoots to Sh510 million". The Star (Kenya). Nairobi. Retrieved 27 April 2016.
- GFC (27 April 2016). "Distance between Nairobi, Kenya and Nairobi Upper Hill, Nairobi, Kenya". Globefeed.com (GFC). Retrieved 27 April 2016.
- Google (27 April 2016). "Location of Upper Hill, Nairobi" (Map). Google Maps. Google. Retrieved 27 April 2016.
- Azarius Karanja, Eric Mugendi (16 June 2013). "Nairobi past and present". Africa Review. Nairobi. Retrieved 27 April 2016.
- Liloba, Humphrey (3 March 2014). "Nairobi heading for office glut by 2016". East African Business Week. Kampala. Retrieved 27 April 2016.
- MMtairo (29 October 2013). "Nairobi Skyline Set to Undergo a Major Transformation". Nairobi: Build Design Magazine. Retrieved 27 April 2016.
- Kariuki, James (29 March 2016). "Knight Frank begins leasing of UAP-Old Mutual towers". Business Daily Africa. Nairobi. Retrieved 27 April 2016.
- Omollo, Chris (14 March 2016). "Upper Hill stop Nairobi School to lift rugby title". Daily Nation. Nairobi. Retrieved 27 April 2016.
- Google (27 April 2016). "Location of the British High Commission to Kenya" (Map). Google Maps. Google. Retrieved 27 April 2016.
- Nation Correspondent (6 December 2010). "KCB staff fund to put up Sh2.1bn office block". Daily Nation. Nairobi. Retrieved 27 April 2016.