Upper Mulago Regional Referral Hospital
|Upper Mulago Regional Referral Hospital|
|Uganda Ministry of Health|
|Hospital type||General & referral|
|Other links||Hospitals in Uganda|
Upper Mulago Regional Referral Hospital, also known as Old Mulago Regional Referral Hospital, is a planned hospital in Uganda. When established, it is expected to serve as the regional referral hospital for the Kampala Metropolitan Area, which includes the capital city of Kampala (2014 population: 1,507,080) and the surrounding Wakiso District (2014 pop: 1,997,418).
Upper Mulago Hospital or Old Mulago Hospital is located on Mulago Hill, immediately north and north-east of the newly reconfigured Mulago National Referral Hospital, about 5 kilometres (3 mi) north of the central business district of Kampala. The coordinates of Upper Mulago are 0°20'27.0"N, 32°34'33.0"E (Latitude:0.340835; Longitude:32.575823).
Old Mulago Hospital was established in 1913. New Mulago Hospital or Lower Mulago Hospital as established in 1962. Together they form the "Mulago Hospital Complex" with 1,790 beds serving as the national referral hospital and the teaching hospital of the Makerere University College of Health Sciences. Lower Mulago is undergoing upgrades and renovation to make it a truly tertiary referral and teaching institution. What is planned is to upgrade Lower Mulago to a 900-bed facility, including a 400-bed Mulago Women's and Neonatal Referral Hospital. Upper Mulago will then be transformed into a 600-bed, regional referral hospital for the Kampala metropolitan area, which lacks a hospital in that category.
The hospital is intended to serve as a regional referral hospital for the population in the Kampala Metropolitan Area, as part of the "Improvement of Health Services At Mulago National Referral Hospital And The City Of Kampala", funded by the African Development Bank.
- List of hospitals in Uganda
- Naguru General Hospital
- Kawempe General Hospital
- Kiruddu General Hospital
- Ainebyoona, Emmanuel (1 July 2016). "Mulago split to create Kampala referral". Daily Monitor. Kampala. Retrieved 2 July 2016.
- UBOS (27 August 2014). "The Population of The Regions of the Republic of Uganda And All Cities And Towns of More Than 15,000 Inhabitants". Citypopulation.de Quoting Uganda Bureau of Statistics (UBOS). Retrieved 2 July 2016.
- UBOS (27 August 2014). "Population of Wakiso District As of 27 August 2014". Citypopulation.de Quoting Uganda Bureau of Statistics (UBOS). Retrieved 2 July 2016.
- Globefeed.com (2 July 2016). "Distance between Post Office Building, Kampala Road, Kampala, Central Region, Uganda and Mulago Hospital Assessment Center, Kampala, Central Region, Uganda". Globefeed.com. Retrieved 2 July 2016.
- Google (2 July 2016). "Location of Upper Mulago Regional Referral Hospital" (Map). Google Maps. Google. Retrieved 2 July 2016.
- Obore, Chris (20 January 2013). "Time bomb: The inside story of Mulago hospital's troubles". Daily Monitor. Kampala. Retrieved 2 June 2016.
- Ayebazibwe, Agatha (11 October 2014). "Mulago Hospital renovation starts". Daily Monitor. Kampala. Retrieved 2 July 2016.
- AfDB (January 2009). "Improvement of Health Services At Mulago National Referral Hospital And The City Of Kampala" (PDF). Abidjan: African Development Bank (AfDB). Retrieved 2 June 2016.
- Mulago National Referral Hospital
- Website of Uganda Ministry of Health
- Mulago To Be Split Into Five Hospitals As of 8 May 2018.