Upper Palatine Forest
|Upper Palatinate Forest|
View to Mt. Velký Zvon
|Elevation||3,419 ft (1,042 m)|
|Countries||Germany and Czech Republic|
|States/Provinces||Bavaria and Bohemia|
|Parent range||Central Uplands
|Type of rock||Metamorphic Gneiss, Granite and Serpentinite rocks|
The Upper Palatine Forest (German: Oberpfälzer Wald, Czech: Český les, "Bohemian Forest") is a mountain range in Central Europe that is divided between Germany and the Czech Republic. It is part of the larger Bohemian Massif and the German Central Uplands.
The German side belongs to the Upper Palatinate region of Bavaria, it stretches about 100 km (330,000 ft) from the Bavarian Forest in the south up to the Fichtel Mountains and the Steinwald range in the north. However, the highest peaks of the range lie along the eastern Czech side in the Plzeň Region of western Bohemia, northwest of the Bohemian Forest. The southern rim runs from the Cham and Furth Basin across the border to the Všeruby (Neumark) mountain pass, which is part of the Main European Watershed. The other end is marked by Waldsassen, the northernmost town of the Upper Palatinate.
The Mittelgebirge range is a mountainous solid mass, its highest point being at an altitude of 1,042 m (3,419 ft). Prominent rocks include the Wolfenstein and the Parkstein hill. Once a mining area for iron and gold, the uplands feature many steep valleys, medieval castle ruins and numerous hiking trails. It is a popular destination for recreation.
Rivers rising in the Upper Palatinate Forest include
- Wondreb (Odrava), a tributary of the Ohře (Eger), with Muglbach waterfall
- the Waldnaab headstream of the Naab (Nába) and its Pfreimd and Schwarzach tributaries
- the Mže (Mies) – headstream of the Berounka – and its Hammerbach (Hamerský potok) tributary.
|German name||Czech name||Height (m)||Height (ft)||State/Region||Country|
|Tillenberg||Dyleň||939||3,081||Karlovy Vary||Czech Republic|
|Großer Rabenberg||Havran||894||2,933||Plzeň||Czech Republic|
|Plattenberg||Velký Zvon||856||2,808||Plzeň||Czech Republic|
|Schwarzwihrberg / Schloßberg||706||2,316||Bavaria||Germany|
Towns and municipalities
- www.oberpfaelzerwald.de - Oberpfälzerwald.de (German) (also available in English)
- www.oberpfaelzer-waldverein.de - Upper Palatine Forest Club (German)
- www.heimat-now.de - Information about the Schellenberg Ruins (German)
- www.bocklradweg.de - Cycling the od railway routes and info about the Upper Palatine Forest (German)