Upper Soudley Halt railway station
|Upper Soudley Halt railway station|
|Area||Forest of Dean|
|Original company||Great Western Railway|
|Pre-grouping||Great Western Railway|
|Post-grouping||Great Western Railway|
|3 August 1907||Station opened|
|3 November 1958||Station closed|
|Disused railway stations in the United Kingdom|
|Closed railway stations in Britain|
A B C D–F G H–J K–L M–O P–R S T–V W–Z
The station - serving the village of Soudley; was located at 2 miles 16 chains from Newnham and opened when passenger services were introduced on 3 August 1907. From the outset the station (which had been built on a 1 in 66 gradient) was provided with a wooden fronted platform and a GWR Pagoda type hut. This platform was situated on the up (eastern) side of the line, adjacent to the public highway and was rebuilt from its original height of 1 foot 2 inches to the standard height of 3 feet during November 1908 (similar alterations were also made to other platforms on the line).
The platform, as well as being accessible from the public highway, could also be accessed from the former Bullo Pill Tramway (locally known as the Dram Road) which was latterly used as a footpath, but there is no record of a boarded crossing over the track ever being provided at that location. In the later years, crews working down trains (uphill towards Bilson) claimed to have run short on steam and regularly abandoned their trains on the unofficial foot crossing; conveniently located next to the White Horse Public House.
|Preceding station||Disused railways||Following station|
|Bullo Cross Halt
Line and station closed
|Great Western Railway
Bullo Pill Railway
|Staple Edge Halt|
Line and station closed
- Pope, Ian; Karau, Paul (1997). The Forest of Dean Branch - Volume 2. Didcot: Wild Swan Publications Ltd. p. 235. ISBN 1-874103-36-4.
- Yorke, Stan (2009). Lost Railways of Gloucestershire. Newbury: Countryside Books. p. 32. ISBN 978-1-84674-163-0.
- Smith, Peter (1983). An Historical Survey of the Forest of Dean Railways - Layouts and Illustrations. Poole: Oxford Publishing Co. p. 124. ISBN 0-86093-167-6.
- Paar, H. W. (1971). The Great Western Railway in Dean. Newton Abbot: David & Charles. p. 60. ISBN 0-7153-5369-1.
- "Tramroad remains in the Forest of Dean" (PDF). Gloucestershire Society for Industrial Archaeology. Retrieved 29 January 2015.
- Pope, Ian; Karau, Paul (1992). The Forest of Dean Branch - Volume 1. Didcot: Wild Swan Publications Ltd. p. 111. ISBN 1-874103-05-4.