Uppsala rape Facebook live streaming incident
This article may be in need of reorganization to comply with Wikipedia's layout guidelines. (March 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
On 21 January 2017, in Uppsala, Sweden, Facebook users committed a live streaming crime, gang raping an unconscious woman for several hours. The crime was stopped when viewers of the Facebook live feed realized what was happening and phoned the police, who entered the apartment and interrupted the crime still in progress.
The Local, an English language news website, reported that "the alleged crime took place in an apartment in the city of Uppsala early on Sunday morning. The victim was reportedly close to unconscious." The BBC reports that "Josefine Lundgren, 21, called the police when she saw the video. Speaking to Swedish tabloid Expressen, she said she saw one of the men tear the woman's clothes off and lie on top of her. She also said one of the men had a gun." The Expressen online newspaper went on to say that "Police are investigating a case of suspected sexual abuse against a woman who was filmed and sent out live on Facebook on Sunday morning."
Two Afghan immigrants, one 18 and one 20 years old, were arrested, and a 24-year-old Swedish citizen is being held for failing to report the crime; under Swedish law their identities cannot be released.
- "Facebook Live 'broadcasts gang rape' of woman in Sweden". BBC. BBC. 23 January 2017. Retrieved 24 January 2017.
- "Man in Sweden 'live-streamed gang rape on Facebook'". The Local Europe AB. 22 January 2017. Retrieved 24 January 2017.
- Reuters (2017-01-23). "Three men arrested in Sweden after Facebook Live 'gang-rape'". The Guardian.
- "Swedish police arrest 3 for broadcasting rape live to Facebook". Deutsche Welle. Reuters. 23 January 2017. Retrieved 29 January 2017.
- Sharman, Jon (2017-01-23). "Sweden gang rape 'live-streamed on Facebook'". The Independent.
- The Local se – Man in Sweden 'live-streamed gang rape on Facebook'. The Local se (2017-01-22). Retrieved on 2017-01-23.
- BBC – News – Europe – Facebook Live 'broadcasts gang rape' of woman in Sweden. BBC News (2017-01-23). Retrieved on 2017-01-23.
- Expressen – Misstänkt våldtäkt sändes på Facebook. Expressen (2017-01-22). Retrieved on 2017-01-23.
- Steinbush, Yaron (26 January 2017). "Suspects in live-streamed gang rape are Afghan immigrants". New York Post. Retrieved 27 January 2017.
|This Sweden-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|