Upside Travel is an American travel company.
The company was founded by Jay S. Walker, whom had previously founded the travel company Priceline.com. Based in Washington, D.C., Upside was launched in January 2017, and was used by ten thousand companies over its first year. The company received $50 million in its first round of funding, reaching a valuation of $200 million. In the Summer of 2017, the company pivoted from package and gift card rewards to en route servicing.
The platform is used by those engaging in business travel, in order to compile accommodations and transportation arrangements. Packages are rated by the site, and search results can be refined by user-generated search parameters. The company has named its platform a “flexibility engine”, which scores and analyzes the entire travel industry’s available options every twenty-four hours. It is designed for use by employees of small and medium sized businesses.
The platform is used by employees themselves instead of travel managers to create individual travel plans. In addition to their travel, users are given a retail gift card. The gift cards are intended to try to convince employees booking their own travel to reduce the cost of their travel plans to their employers, by providing a portion of the savings to the employee themselves (via the card).
- Brady, Ryan Craggs,Paul. "5 Clever Ways to Score a Hotel Deal". CN Traveler.
- "Priceline founder's DC-based travel site makes public debut". WTOP. 16 January 2017.
- Gorce, Tammy La (28 August 2017). "Business Trip or Vacation? Travel Start-Ups Try to Blur the Line". New York Times.
- "Skift's Most Interesting Corporate Travel Startups 2017". Skift. 22 March 2017.
- "Priceline Founder Raises $50 Million for New Venture". Bloomberg. 16 January 2017.
- "Upside's Big Valuation Shows Hunger for Biz Travel Tech — Skift Corporate Travel Innovation Report". Skift. 19 January 2017.
- "Paging Frugal Business Travelers: A New Perk". Wall Street Journal.
- Reiss, Robert. "The Five CEOs Who Are Reinventing Industry Through Digital". Forbes Magazine.
- Gardner, Terry. "Here's the upside for business — and leisure travelers: A new site saves you money and rewards you with gift cards for doing so". latimes.com. Los Angeles Times.
- Koenig, David. "Get ready for busy travel season; airlines could set record". Chicago Tribune.
- Hobica, George (3 March 2017). "Here's a new travel booking site you REALLY haven't heard of yet". Huffington Post.
- "The Man Who Told Leisure Travelers to 'Name Your Price' Would Like a Word With Business Travelers". Fortune Magazine.
- "Tech Tools for Entrepreneurs". KTLA. 29 November 2017.
- "Upside looks beyond US business travellers following WSJ deal". Tnooz.