From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The term upstate may refer to the northerly portions of several U.S. states. It also can refer to parts of states that have a higher elevation, away from sea level. These regions tend to be rural; an exception is Delaware.
- Maine, except for "Down East"
- Upstate California, a 2001 marketing campaign to promote the northern half of Northern California
- Upstate New York, an area of New York north of the New York City metropolitan area
- Upstate South Carolina, the northwestern "corner" of South Carolina
- Upstate Pennsylvania, a tourism region that includes much of Northeastern Pennsylvania
- A term used to refer to going to the penitentiary in New York or California, as all of New York's state prison's are Upstate, and the majority of California's are as well.
|This disambiguation page lists articles about distinct geographical locations with the same name.
If an internal link led you here, you may wish to change the link to point directly to the intended article.