Upton by Chester
|Upton by Chester|
Holy Ascension Church, Upton by Chester
|Upton by Chester shown within Cheshire|
|OS grid reference|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|Postcode district||CH2, CH3|
|EU Parliament||North West England|
Upton by Chester is a civil parish and a large suburb on the outskirts of Chester, in the Borough of Cheshire West and Chester and the ceremonial county of Cheshire in England. It includes the villages of Upton and Upton Heath. At the 2001 Census the population was recorded as 7,800, rising to 7,956 at the 2011 Census.
Formerly a township in Broxton Hundred, it included the hamlet of Upton Heath. The population was 173 in 1801, 555 in 1851, 1,769 in 1901 and 6,343 in 1951. An illustrated 300 page book on the history of Upton called 'Upton-by-Chester: A People's History' was published in 2005.
Upton-by-Chester as we know it today started when the railway was built in the mid-1800s. Gentlemen's country houses were built and provided employment other than traditional rural jobs. Initially ribbon development but then housing estates were built as more people moved out of the overcrowded city. Following the post-WW2 building boom there is now little development land left.
One building of particular interest is Upton Mill. Built in 1775 this was a full working flour mill with outhouses, yard and orchard. The wind sails were removed in the early 1920s when electricity was installed. The mill became closed in 1953 and remained uninhabited until 1979 when the mill was sold and converted as a private residence. Renovation was completed in 1988.
Another interesting feature is Upton-by-Chester Golf Club which is an established, 18-hole parkland course with mature tree lined fairways and some of nature's water hazards. The course was originally designed as a 9-hole course in 1934. It's changed a lot since those early days when plant pots were used as holes and garden canes as flags. Upton is now one of Cheshire's finest golf courses, with a reputation for being a family friendly club that welcomes new members and visitors alike.
Shopping and leisure
There are several shops including Bache, Upton-Heath, Weston Grove, at least four pubs including the Race Horse, the Frog, the Egerton Arms and The Wheatsheaf Inn, an Indian Restaurant called Indian Brasserie, and a cafe called Russian Style Crepes.
Labour Party former Deputy Prime Minister, John Prescott, lived with his parents in Upton after moving from Yorkshire, and married his wife Pauline (nee Tilston) at Church of the Holy Ascension in 1961.
- 2001 Census: Upton-by-Chester (Parish), Office for National Statistics, retrieved 15 April 2008
- "Parish population 2011". Retrieved 31 May 2015.
- Cheshire Towns & Parishes: Upton by Chester, GENUKI UK & Ireland Genealogy, retrieved 15 April 2008
- ISBN 0-9548854-0-6
- "Moston Hall". History of Upton by Chester. Retrieved 24 May 2014.
- "Upton ward population 2011". Retrieved 31 May 2015.
- "Upton-by-Chester Village Hall". Retrieved 15 November 2014.
- "The Wheatsheaf Inn". Sizzling Pubs.
- "Indian Brasserie website".
- "Russian Style Crepes". Visit Chester Website.
- Brown, Colin (29 April 2006). "Pauline Prescott: Wounded party". The Independent. London. Retrieved 17 November 2009.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Upton by Chester.|