Ur was a supercontinent that formed Archean eon; perhaps the oldest continent on Earth, half a billion years older than Arctica, but it may have been preceded by one other supercontinent, Vaalbara, which is suggested to have formed about .(3 billion) in the early
Ur joined with the continents Nena and Atlantica about (1 billion) to form the supercontinent Rodinia. Ur survived as a single unit until it was sundered when the supercontinent Pangaea broke apart into Laurasia and Gondwana.
Formation and breakup
- ~3 billion years ago, Ur formed as the only continent on Earth.
- ~2.8 billion years ago, Ur was a part of the major supercontinent Kenorland.
- ~2 billion years ago, Ur was a part of the major supercontinent Columbia.
- ~1 billion years ago, Ur was a part of the major supercontinent Rodinia.
- ~550 million years ago, Ur was a part of the major supercontinent Pannotia.
- ~300 million years ago, Ur was a part of the major supercontinent Pangaea.
- ~208 million years ago, Ur was torn apart into parts of Laurasia and Gondwana.
- ~65 million years ago, the African part of Ur was torn apart as part of India.
- ~Present, Ur is part of Australia and Madagascar.
- Lerner, K. Lee; Lerner, Brenda Wilmoth, eds. (2003). "Supercontinents". Gale Cengage/eNotes.com.
- Zubritsky, Elizabeth (1997). "In the beginning, there was Ur". Endeavors.