The Betrayal Knows My Name
|The Betrayal Knows My Name|
Cover of the first manga volume
(Uragiri wa Boku no Namae o Shitteiru)
|Genre||Action-Adventure, Supernatural, Fantasy, Thriller|
|Written by||Odagiri Hotaru|
|Published by||Kadokawa Shoten|
|Original run||October 2005 – May 2017|
|Anime television series|
|Directed by||Katsushi Sakurabi|
|Music by||Shōgo Kaida|
|Original network||Chiba TV|
|Original run||April 11, 2010 – September 19, 2010|
The Betrayal Knows My Name (Japanese: 裏切りは僕の名前を知っている Hepburn: Uragiri wa Boku no Namae o Shitteiru) is a Japanese Shounen-ai and shōjo manga written and illustrated by Odagiri Hotaru. It was serialized in Kadokawa Shoten's shōjo magazine Monthly Asuka in October 2005. An anime adaptation began in April 2010 on Chiba TV.
Sakurai Yuki is a teenager with a mysterious power. He was abandoned at birth near the Asahi orphanage. Because of that event, Yuki strives for independence. He hates being a burden to anyone near him, but at the same time, he is afraid of being left alone. Moreover, ever since he can remember, he has had a strange ability that when he touches others, he can feel their emotion. Unable to control it, he's often made insensitive blunders in the past. He later meets a mysterious yet beautiful stranger who saves his life, but for some reason he feels like they've met before. While death looms and his ability gets stronger and stronger, a man who claims to be his older brother suddenly appears, which rises the question, "What will Yuki do when he learns the truth?"
- Yuki Giou (Sakurai) (桜井(祗王)夕月 Sakurai (Giō) Yuki) Voiced by: Sōichirō Hoshi (Japanese); Cole Howard (English)
- The bearer of Kami no Hikari (神の光 (The Light of God)) or "God's light". The main protagonist, and a freshman in high school. His mother left him at birth in order to protect him and he has been living in Asahi Orphanage. When Yuki touches someone who is in emotional pain, he's able to read that person's emotions and see that person's past. This causes him to suffer greatly, but he has unexpectedly grown into an unyielding individual. With absolutely no recollection of his past life, he feels an odd nostalgia for Zess, and ends up relying on him quite often. After he leaves the orphanage and heads off to the Twilight Mansion, he becomes known as "Giou Yuki". Yuki is the most important member of the Giou Clan. He's even mentioned as the "master" of the other Zweilts. His special technique is Halo Wall, which puts up a barrier of light around others, protecting them from harm. However, he can't use it for long, because it requires a lot of energy. Yuki's ability is to bear the pain, and "sins" of the other members. He also heals the other Zweilts by taking their injuries upon himself, usually to the point that he collapses and won't wake for several days. The Zweilt Guardians feel a great amount of guilt for this. Yuki has been reincarnated many times, however this is the first time he was born male. It has been mentioned this may be a sign that the fighting is coming to an end or that she wants to forget the past.
- Zess (Luka Crosszeria) (ゼス(ルカ＝クロスゼリア) Zesu (Ruka Kurosuzeria)) Voiced by: Takahiro Sakurai (Japanese); Victor Atelevich (English)
- A man with silver eyes and black hair who's been protecting Yuki from the shadows ever since his birth 15 years ago. Despite being a Duras (a.k.a. demon), he's currently an ally of the Giou Clan and is recognized as a traitor by the other Duras. Although his real age is unknown, his appearance is that of a college student. Normally reserved and indifferent, his facial expressions soften when he's with Yuki. His relationship with Yuki is complicated. He is completely dedicated to Yuki, considering him more important than anything else in the world, yet he won't tell him of their relationship in Yuki's previous life. This is yet to be explained. It was during the last war that he changed sides to the Giou Clan, as he apparently made a binding "contract" with Yuki. Luka is a descendant of the "family of sinners" (Zess) and a high-grade demon (Opasts). As the only Crosszeria with a red Brand Zess, he is also known as "Bloody Cross". Luka battles with a large black sword that can use powerful magic and has a powerful Salamander dragon (Sodom) as his familiar. He was once the loyal dog for the demon king and used to drink his blood, that's why he is stronger than any opasts. But he left his position after meeting Yuki. It was during the previous battle that Luka met Yuki and they fell in love. Luka promises he will stay with Yuki as long as Yuki wants him to.
- The manga suggests a bit of a darker history. Luka tells Yuki he was considered a slave because he was born into the "sinner" clan, Crosszeria, and that all the other Duras were intent on punishing the whole family and all its descendants for their ancestor's sin. The demon king owned Luka, and as a symbol of their contract, put his own blood into Luka's brand. The demon king's blood made the brand on Luka's arm glow red, and it caused Luka a great deal of pain during the process. Years later, Luka is still haunted by the memory and feels physically ill when recalling it. Because it was a blood seal, if Luka should ever betray the demon king, he would die. Luka explains to the current incarnation of Yuki that since he made a new contract with Yuki, the previous contract with the demon king was voided, allowing Luka to live.
- Tsukumo Murasame (叢雨九十九 Murasame Tsukumo) Voiced by: Jun Fukuyama (Japanese); Sean Broadhurst (English)
- The bearer of Kami no Mimi, God's Ears. A high school boy who appears to Yuki along with his sister at the start of the story. He is one of the Zweilt Guardians and also part of the Giou Clan, making him and his sister Yuki's distant relatives. His powers seem to be the ability to speak with animals, sense people, 'hear' the voices of people's hearts, 'hear' the memories of an object, extraordinary hearing, project his voice/thoughts and the ability to draw a gun from his ring during a battle. The name of his gun is Knell (Funeral Bell). For some reason he always has snacks with him. He seems to be extremely close with his older sister Toko, whom he calls Toko-chan and says he will always protect. He was severely injured by Reiga in episode 10, but Yuki managed to heal him.
- Toko Murasame (叢雨十瑚 Murasame Tōko) Voiced by: Marina Inoue (Japanese); Tara Strong (English)
- Tsukumo's older sister, Yuki's relative and also a Zweilt guardian. Her ring produces a huge sword called Eon (Eternity). She attends the same high school as her brother, where their closeness make all the girls jealous of her. She is very fond of Yuki (whom she calls Yuki-chan), telling him that "He is a person who is too kind for his own good" and asking him to refer to her in a more close way (Tōko-chan) instead of calling her Tōko-san. She is the guardian that most interacts with Luka, and sometimes blushes when she is near him, which was due the fact that in her past life, Tōko had a lover that resembled Luka.
- Hotsuma Renjou (蓮城焔椎真 Renjou Hotsuma) Voiced by: Daisuke Ono (Japanese); Lucas Gilbertson (English)
- The bearer of Kami no Koe, God's Voice. Hotsuma is one of the Zweilt guardians, and he has an uncertain control over his gift, which usually manifests as fire. He is short tempered and impulsive. He has been friends with Shuusei since childhood. At first he dislikes Yuki, since he thinks that he has the same personality he had in his previous life, but with time it seems that he grows somewhat close to him. He was basically abandoned by his parents who labeled him a monster, and the only time they come see him is whenever they need money. Hotsuma's past was shadowed by his fire abilities, and while protecting a classmate, he ended up attacking a few of his classmates, which isolated him from everyone else. Afterwards, he attempted to kill himself, but Shuusei stopped him, but he is burnt in the process. Hotsuma constantly blames himself for Shuusei's scar and is scared of hurting someone, but Yuki is able to calm him. His ring produces a curvy blade called Masterstroke (Divine Skill).
- Shūsei Usui (碓氷愁生 Usui Shūsei) Voiced by: Mamoru Miyano (Japanese); Jonathan Love (English)
- The bearer of Kami no Me, God's Eyes. Shuusei, also part of the guardians, is Hotsuma's childhood friend. He helps the police in solving crimes with his "sixth sense". Fights using crystal balls that he mainly uses for supporting the others and a pair of short swords, called Kurai Kurou (Crime & Punishment), for offense. He seems to be a quiet and sensitive person. He has a tendency of not eating a lot most of the time, as he doesn't have much of an appetite. He disappears suddenly, after seeing that Hotsuma was on better terms with Yuki, stating that he has 'served his purpose' and recognizes the fact that Yuki was able to shatter Hotsuma's fears of being a monster. Then he is kidnapped by Ashley and put into a deep sleep never to wake again. Although Ashley states that it was more that Shusei, desiring to die, stopped his own heart. However, Hotsuma uses his Kami no Koe to command him to "live", which revives Shuusei.
- Kuroto Hourai (蓬莱 黒刀 Hourai Kuroto) Voiced by: Hiroshi Kamiya (Japanese); Matthew Erickson (English)
- A professional shogi player prodigy who is very quiet and serious by nature. But, once he decides to do something he'll put full effort into doing it even if it means quitting something he loves (e.g., shogi). He gained a love for shogi after he was taken in by Senshirou's grandfather. He lost his original partner during the previous war and Senshirou is now his second partner. He fights with a black katana called Izanagi (Hell).
- Senshirou Furuori (降織 千紫郎 Furuori Senshirou) Voiced by: Satoshi Hino (Japanese); Brent Miller (English)
- A zweilt-in-training and is a klutz by nature. Decided to become a zweilt after his grandfather was killed by the Opast Cadenza while protecting him and Kuroto. He has a love for calligraphy and is a college student studying art. He uses a large calligraphy brush to draw spells and a gigantic scythe called Death Scythe.
- Takashiro Giou (祇王 天白 Giou Takashiro) Voiced by: Takehito Koyasu (Japanese); Ethan Cole (English)
- Takashiro is first introduced as Yuki's older half-brother. When he meets Yuki for the first time, he tells him that he and his father had been looking for him ever since his birth fifteen years earlier. He is also the head of the Giou clan. As revealed later in the series, Takashiro performed a forbidden ritual that allowed him to take a Duras into his body. Because of this he, unlike the Zweilt Guardians, has not been reincarnated. Instead he has lived for over a thousand years, remembering everything, including how the war with Reiga first began. He also heals almost immediately after being injured. He believes that in order to win the war, there have to be sacrifices. He possesses a grimoire (the Book of Solomon) much like Kanata, although his is red. It has been told that Reiga was his friend. He is also the one responsible for continually causing Yuki and the Zweilts to reincarnate so they can continue fighting Reiga. He apologizes for lying to Yuki, telling him that he is not really Yuki's brother, but Yuki forgives him, telling him that despite that, Takashiro is still very important to him.
- Tachibana Giou (祇王 橘 Giou Tachibana) Voiced by: Shin-ichiro Miki (Japanese); Jeffrey Watson (English)
- The curator at Twilight Mansion and a member of the Giou clan. Tachibana has an upbeat personality and likes to keep conversation going. It is also mentioned in the manga that he may be a opast.
- Isuzu Fujiwara (藤原 彌涼 Fujiwara Isuzu) Voiced by: Ken Narita (Japanese); Allan Boss (English)
- Isuzu is the Giou's family doctor who works full time at the infirmary located at Twilight Mansion. Isuzu is known for passing out for various days from lack of sleep, which is caused by his sleepless and restless nights of researching the subject of Duras. His words and actions about treatment come out as perverted whether or not he is aware of it. He is fascinated by Duras and always wants to examine Luka.
- Kanata Wakamiya (若宮奏多 Wakamiya Kanata) Voiced by: Akira Ishida (Japanese); Tommy Campbell[disambiguation needed] (English)
- A childhood friend of Yuki, who grew up with him in the orphanage. Yuki considers him to be an older brother and wanted to emulate his independence. Kanata carries the "Book of Raziel." Kanata frequently asked Yuki to come live with him and appears to be against Yuki's residence in the Twilight Mansion. He mysteriously appears in Ashley's amusement park and him, which Yuki declines. Afterwards, Kanata's eyes seem to turn silver, and his appearance looks very similar to Giou Reiga's. He is actually Reiga's human reincarnation. Due to an as yet unspecified incident involving fire, he has come to hate humans and desires their destruction, although he's conflicted on whether or not to kill Yuki. He even asks himself if he will be "consumed by his memories or his hate?." In the manga, it is explained that the power of the soul of the half-Duras Reiga was too strong for his fully human incarnations before they reached maturity, which is why his power and memories as Reiga are sealed away until his physical body could withstand the strain of all his power.
- Yuki (Previous Life) (ユキ(前世)) Voiced by: Yukana (Japanese); Elizabeth Stepkowski (English)
- She fell in love with Zess (Luka) and it was said that that is why Luka betrayed the King. In the manga, Hotsuma said she was stubborn and proud and that is why he didn't like her. She was reincarnated as a boy and it was 'her dying wish'. Some of the members believe it's a sign that the fighting is coming to an end.
- Ibuki Shikibe (式部 為吹 Shikibe Ibuki) Voiced by: Yuri Amano (Japanese); Meredith Taylor-Perry (English)
- Takashiro's talented secretary. Ibuki is also the sister of Tsubaki and Yuki's aunt on his mother's side.
- Tsubaki Shikibe (式部 椿姫 ShikibeTsubaki) Voiced by: Hōko Kuwashima (Japanese); Cheryl McMaster (English)
- She is Ibuki's younger sister and one of Yuki's aunts on his mother's side. She's betrothed to Senshirou. She hates most men, with the exception of Yuki and Senshirou.
- Fuyutoki Kureha (呉羽 冬解 Kureha Fuyutoki) Voiced by: Kenji Hamada (Japanese); Dave Kelly (English)
- The butler of the main residence of the Giou clan.
- Aya Kureha (呉羽 綾 Kureha Aya) Voiced by: Sayuri Yahagi (Japanese); Katie Rowen (English)
- Although not much is yet revealed about Aya, Aya takes care of those in the Twilight Mansion. She is also the younger sister of Fuyutoki.
- Katsumi Tooma (遠間 克己 Tooma Katsumi) Voiced by: Nobuhiko Okamoto (Japanese); Ryan Stockert (English)
- Katsumi is a full time cook at "Twilight Mansion" and a world-class chef. He created tomato bread for Hotsuma
- Masamune Shinmei (神命 正宗 Shinmei Masamune) Voiced by: Shintarō Asanuma (Japanese); Paul Hunter (English)
- He is a member of the Giou clan and is a necromancer in training.
- He was the past partner of Kuroto who was killed by Cadenza.
- Ashley (アシュレイ Ashurei) Voiced by: Kana Ueda (Japanese); Carol Anne-Day (English)
- She is an Opast who was responsible for the "Sleeping Beauty" syndrome and the abduction of male students. She likes good-looking teenage guys and has a legion of low-class duras that look like dolls at her command.
- Elegy (エレジー Erejī)
- She is a General class Opast who claims to be in love with Zess (Luka). In the manga, Luka says Elegy is actually male, though Elegy says (s)he possesses both genders.
- Cadenza (カデンツァ Kadentsa)
- He is a General class Opast who killed Kuroto's previous partner, but left Kuroto alive. After Kuroto was reincarnated and put into the custody of Senshirou's grandfather for Zweilt training, Cadenza returned to kill Kuroto. The old man died protecting Senshirou and Kuroto, who both now want Cadenza dead. He is also known as the "Master Killer" due to his reputation of turning on the person who summons him.
- Luze (ルゼ Ruze) Voiced by: Shinnosuke Tachibana (Japanese); Jordan Schartnet (English)
- He is Luka's younger twin brother. Unlike Luka, he has amethyst-colored eyes, and his hair is longer in length and is worn in a ponytail. In the manga, he seems to relate with Reiga/Kanata in the fact that he is also half Duras, and he harbors feelings of resentment towards Luka because he betrayed the Duras and further soiled the Crosszeria Clan.
- Jekyll & Hyde (ジキル＆ハイド Jikiru & Haido)
- Twin Opast brothers that fought as a team like the Zweilts. After Jekyll was killed, Elegy allowed Hyde to drink her blood, which gave him a power boost, enabling him to create a copy of himself and fight as though Jekyll were still with him. In the manga, both Jekyll and Hyde were killed in the same battle.
Uragiri wa Boku no Namae o Shitteiru began running in the Shōjo magazine Monthly Asuka in October 2005. The first volume was published by Kadokawa Shoten in July 2006. As of August 2016, twelve volumes have been released. German publisher Carlsen Comics has licensed the series as Fesseln des Verrats (which means "Shackles of Betrayal"). The translator is Dorothea Überall. As of November 2012, nine volumes have been released. At the 2010 San Diego Comic-Con, manga publisher Yen Press announced they had acquired the license for publication beginning in 2011, under the title The Betrayal Knows My Name. The Yen edition is a two-in-one omnibus edition, translated by Melissa Tanaka.
|No.||Original release date||Original ISBN||English release date||English ISBN|
|1||July 21, 2006||ISBN 4-04-853971-X||June 2011||ISBN 978-0-316-11941-2|
|2||May 23, 2007||ISBN 978-4-04-854090-2||December 2011||ISBN 978-0-316-11942-9|
|3||November 21, 2007||ISBN 978-4-04-854135-0||April 2012||ISBN 978-0-316-11943-6|
|4||June 20, 2008||ISBN 978-4-04-854187-9||August 2012||ISBN 978-0-316-21615-9|
|5||January 23, 2009||ISBN 978-4-04-854276-0||February 2013||ISBN 978-0-316-23268-5|
|6||August 22, 2009||ISBN 978-4-04-854360-6||September 2013||ISBN 978-0-316-24311-7|
|7||March 19, 2010||ISBN 978-4-04-854441-2||July 18, 2017||ISBN 978-0-31-643966-4|
|8||October 21, 2010||ISBN 978-4-04-854543-3||—||—|
|9||September 17, 2011||ISBN 978-4-04-854687-4||—||—|
|10||June 21, 2012||ISBN 978-4-04-120264-7||—||—|
|11||October 24, 2012||ISBN 978-4-04-120469-6||—||—|
|12||August 26, 2016||ISBN 978-4-04-104089-8||—||—|
In July 2009, announcement was made that an anime adaption would be directed by Katsushi Sakurabi and produced by J.C.Staff. It was officially announced in Monthly Asuka 2009 October issue. The anime officially started airing on April 11, 2010 with 24 planned episodes. The first DVD was released June 1, 2010 and the second DVD, October 1, 2010. The opening theme for the first arc is "Uragiri no nai Sekai made" and the ending theme is "Aoi Ito," both sung by Japanese band Rayflower. The single for both the opening and ending themes was released May 26, 2010. The opening and ending for the second arc are "Inishie" and "Uraboku", sung by the same Japanese band Rayflower who also provided the themes for the first arc. The opening and ending for the second arc are due to be released August 4, 2010.
|No.||Title||Original air date|
|1||"Time, Set in Motion"
"Toki, Ugokidasu" (刻、動き出す)
|April 11, 2010|
|Yuki Sakurai was abandoned by his biological mother and left in an orphanage, where he spent his childhood alone with other orphans. Now, as a high school student, Yuki has recently begun to have several mysterious dreams that leave him with a nostalgic feeling that he has seen it all before. In the evening he receives a letter from an unknown sender that leaves him worried by its contents. When he answers the cries for help of a fellow student, Yuki is almost hit by a truck but is saved by the quick actions taken by a mysterious silver-eyed man.|
"Eikō no Shirabe" (永劫の調べ)
|April 18, 2010|
|Yuki meets a young man with long hair who introduces himself as Takashiro Giou, who claims to be his older brother and asks him to come with him to Tokyo. Yuki is initially confused by the sudden revelation and as a result (of the female Yuki accusing him of running away) causes his power to break the orphanages' windows. Later, he has a confrontation with Uzuki at school, and his powers almost goes berserk again. Frightened and confused at his growing powers, he runs away only to meet up with Zess who comforts him. As they begin walking, they are attacked by Duras or demons and are saved by Touko and Tsukumo, along with Takashiro who talks about the Giou Clan and how everyone of its members have special powers and that they need his power.|
"Warupurugisu no Yoru" (ワルプルギスの夜)
|April 25, 2010|
|Yuki is troubled after his meeting with Murasame Toko and Tsukumo and Giou Takashiro, head of a family with special powers known as the Giou Clan. Does Yuki belong with Takashiro or with the children of the orphanage? Zess kindly watches over the confused Yuki while agents of evil approach. Zess warns Yuki to remain at the orphanage on Walpurgis Night but that night two orphans go missing and Yuki is asked to help look for them.|
|4||"Lost Days, White Future"
"Kaeranu Hibi Shiroki Ashita" (帰らぬ日々 白き明日)
|May 02, 2010|
|While searching for the missing orphans, Yuki receives a call from his classmate Uzuki and heads to school, where he finds someone unexpected. Worried for Yuki, Tsukumo uses his power to find him and heads to his rescue.|
|5||"A New Encounter"
"Arata na Deai" (新たな出逢い)
|May 09, 2010|
|Having found his place among the Giou Clan, Yuki decides to travel to Tokyo with Luka and the Zweilt Guardians. On the way there, inexplicable feelings well up inside Yuki as Luka sleeps by his side. Meanwhile, the police bring a case thought to be the work of demons to Takashiro in Tokyo, and two new Zweilt Guardians await Yuki at the police station.|
|6||"The Boundary Between Light and Despair"
"Hikari to Zetsubō no Sakaime" (光と絶望の境目)
|May 16, 2010|
|In Tokyo, Yuki and Luka wait for Takashiro as he makes a stop at a police station. A girl is attacked by a man whose identity is revealed to be nothing more than a golem, holding the girl hostage. The girl is then possessed by a Duras, who reveals her motive to about kill Yuki in exchange for being granted a wish. The Voice of God (a Zweilt Guardian) Hotsuma steps into the battlefield with his burning flame.|
|7||"The Twilight Mansion"
"Tasogare Kan" (黄昏館)
|May 23, 2010|
|Yuki and the others finally make their arrival to the Twilight Mansion at dusk. Upon arrival they are greeted by Aya Kureha and Tachibana Giou, the steward and director of the mansion. Yuki is disturbed by the nostalgic feeling surrounding the mansion, almost as if he has seen it all before.|
"Burando Zesu" (ブランド・ゼス)
|May 30, 2010|
|After everyone had breakfast at the Twilight Mansion, Tachibana Giou leads Yuki along with the Zweilt Guardians to the Communal bath which happens to be occupied by Toko Murasame and Aya Kureha. Luka drives Yuki to school in the morning. Outside the school, Kanata Wakamiya attempts to persuade Yuki to return with him but is interrupted by Toko's and Tsukumo's arrival. After the talk with Kanata, Yuki starts to doubt his decision to join the Giou clan. However, Luka reassures him that he should follow whatever he believes in, but suddenly three Mid-villains attack and attempt to capture Yuki.|
|June 6, 2010|
|Yuki sees the scar on Shusei's chest and asks Luka what things he is unable to heal. Luka responds "scars that come from friends". The others are worried about Shusei because he seems unwell. The police come to Takashiro with a missing person case: 8 high-school boys are missing. They seem to think it's tied into the Sleeping Beauty Syndrome. Later, Hotsuma walks Yuki home and flashes back to being picked on as a kid. The other kids find out he can set them on fire and despise him even more. Shusei is his only friend. In the present, Hotsuma finds out his parents have really abandoned him as they want their payment in exchange for him. Yuki runs to comfort him and sees his past. Angered, Hotsuma starts a fire. He flashes back to when he tried to kill himself with his fire, only for Shusei to hold him and convince him to stop. Now, Hotsuma is able to extinguish his fire before it really hurts him or Yuki. Meanwhile, Shusei accepts that he wasn't the one to help Hotsuma and disappears. Hotsuma desperately wants to find him.|
|10||"Cry of Despair"
|June 13, 2010|
|Takashiro orders the Zweilt not to look for Shusei as World's End is searching. Shusei wakes up in a strange place surrounded by the 8 missing high school boys. Ashley comes in and reveals herself to be behind the Sleeping Beauty Syndrome. She puts the infatuated girls into a fatal sleep to harvest the power of their emotions and keeps their desired boys for herself. The Zweilt find a video left for them asking for God's Light in exchange for Shusei's life. Meanwhile, Ashley tries to get information on the Zweilt out of Shusei, but puts him to sleep when he doesn't talk. Toko and Tsukumo go to the most recent girl's house to find any more clues on Shusei's disappearance. While Toko is inside, Tsukumo answers a call for help then is attacked by twin Opasts and nearly killed by Reiga.|
|11||"That Which is Fleeting, Strong, and Precious"
"Hakanaku Tsuyoku Totoi Mono" (儚く強く尊いもの)
|June 20, 2010|
|With Yuki's help, Tsukumo wakes up long enough to warn the others of Reiga. Yuki, Luka, and Hotsuma set off to find Ashley and Shusei while Takashiro handles things at the mansion before catching up. The three enter Ashley's barrier, a suspicious amusement park where her stuffed dolls attack them. Luka takes care of them while Hotsuma and Yuki continue on. They run into Kanata, who tries to persuade Yuki to forget it and come back with him. Yuki declines and leaves Kanata. Hotsuma and Yuki finally reach Shusei, who appears to be lifeless.|
|12||"To Be a "Pair""
"“Futari” to Iu Koto" (“二人” ということ)
|June 27, 2010|
|Hotsuma fights Ashley, but can't keep up because of his injuries. Just as she's about to kill him, his shouts wake up Shusei who stabs Ashley. The two take her on with renewed strength from being back together. Just as they're about to kill her, the twin Opasts, Jekyll and Hyde, show up and turn the fight around in their favor. Luka arrives in time to kill Ashley, and save them. Just as they're about to finish off Jekyll and Hyde, Reiga appears. Yuki recognizes him as Kanata.|
|13||"Irony of Fate"
"Unmei no Hiniku" (運命の皮肉)
|July 4, 2010|
|Yuki is stunned at the appearance of his childhood friend, Kanata, as Reiga. While Yuki struggles to deny the fact that Reiga is trying to kill him, the others try to protect Yuki from harm. Shusei and Hotsuma defend against the Opast twins who recovered from their injuries due to Reiga's power. Meanwhile, Luka is distracted by Fenrir, the familiar beast of Reiga. Luka, Shusei, and Hotsuma all manage to defeat their respective foes and rush to Yuki's side as Reiga aims icicle daggers to kill him. Takashiro appears just in time to shield Yuki. Takashiro and Reiga both use their ancient books to summon powerful beasts which then engage in a furious battle. Takashiro notices that Reiga has not fully awakened and thus manages to overpower Reiga's summon beast, also injuring him in the process. As Takashiro readies himself to deal the finishing blow, Yuki stops him by pleading for Reiga to tell him that their past memories were not lies. Reiga leaves after cautioning Yuki not to trust all that Takashiro tells him.|
|14||"The Name of Said Bonded Contract"
"Keiyaku to Iu Na no Kusari" (契約という名の鎖)
|July 11, 2010|
|After the end of the brief confrontation with Reiga, Yuki sleeps for two full days due to the shock he received at knowing that his childhood friend Kanata was in fact, Reiga. While the others worry about Yuki, he busies himself with house chores and helping around in the mansion in order to forget the pain of Kanata's betrayal. On the other hand, Shusei and Hotsuma reconcile with each other, promising that they wouldn't avoid the other again because of guilt while Tsukumo and Touko try to confront Luka about telling Yuki of his previous life. As Yuki mentioned that he would like to remember more about Luka, Tachibana approaches them and informs Yuki of Takashiro's request that Yuki visit the Kamakura residence to learn more about the past.|
"Ketsui, soshite..." (決意、そして…)
|July 18, 2010|
|Yuki is scheduled to leave for the Kamakura residence with only Luka and Tachibana. While the others want to accompany him, they finally acquiesce to Takashiro's order that only Yuki should go to the Giou main house. Senshiro, a Zweilt-in-training from the main family comes to pick up Yuki and his entourage, making a stop on the way to pick up his partner, Kuroto, a prodigy in shogi who decided to quit in order to focus on the battle. Arriving at the main house, Luka tells Yuki that he is unable to enter the residence as certain people wouldn't want him there due to him being a Duras. Yuki assures Luka that he is determined to know everything about his powers, the battle and also of his past life while Luka internally wonders if Yuki would feel differently after knowing about their past. At the entrance of Kamakura residence, Yuki was greeted by the butler of the Giou main house, Fuyutoki, who is the older brother of Aya, the one who manages the Twilight Mansion. Yuki was then shown to a room where Takashiro later enters after completing a purifying ritual.|
"Touketsusareta Jikan" (凍結された時間)
|July 25, 2010|
|Takashiro invites Yuki to accompany him on a stroll through the gardens. Passing through a bamboo grove, Yuki feels a sense of nostalgia towards the place. When Takashiro winces in sudden pain, Yuki gets to know more about Takashiro's real self: Takashiro is harboring a Duras within himself, enabling him to heal his wounds and making him immortal and renewing his memories. Takashiro has actually lived for more than 1000 years and was present since the start of the battle. He proceeds to tells Yuki that he was not related by blood to Yuki and that it was a lie to gain Yuki's initial trust. The reincarnation of the Zweilt guardians are also due to Takashiro summoning their souls back into the world in order to participate in the battle. Receiving empathy and understanding from Yuki who assures Takashiro that he remains an important person to him even if they do not possess blood ties, Takashiro brings Yuki to a monument which is known as God's Stone, the source of the Giou family's powers. There, he explains the origins of Reiga who was born from a union between a Giou-clan mother and an Opast father, making him a forbidden child. Reiga's main intent is to destroy humans as he views them as not fit to live. Takashiro mentions that Reiga who was reincarnated as Kanata holds no memory of his past self before his awakening, assuring Yuki that the Kanata he has spent his childhood with is not a set up facade. Relieved, Yuki confronts Takashiro to reveal the event that causes Reiga to betray the Giou clan.|
|August 1, 2010|
|Takashiro recounts the events that took place 1000 years ago, during the Heian period. The Giou clan was a well-known family who directly served the court and was led by 4 high-ranking personages: Ario, Takashiro, Reiga and a girl named Yomi. Reiga was feared and shunned due to his mixed parentage but he was supported by both Takashiro and Yomi. They lived in relative peace until a summons came from the royal court for the Giou clan to exterminate some high-ranking demons that were accidentally summoned. Takashiro accepted the task and set off from the village, leaving Reiga and Yomi in-charge of defending the village. Before he left, however, he remarked that he would be back to witness the blossoming of the lone sakura tree (representing Reiga) which had not put forth flowers for a long time. The demon-exterminating task took Takashiro longer than he initially thought and as he rode back, he noticed a great fire devastating the village. Hearing from an injured villager that Reiga had disarmed the barrier that protects the village, allowing a horde of monsters to assault the place, he ran to Yomi's room but found her dead. He received the scar on his face as Reiga directed a beam of light while Takashiro attempted to rush to Yomi's side. As Takashiro questioned Reiga as to his motive for burning the village, Reiga remarks that "everything is already too late" before disappearing. Yuki, after learning of the event that ignited the battle, decides to continue participating in it to stop others from getting hurt. It is also revealed that Ibuki and Tsubaki are his aunts; them being his mother, Mizuki's younger sisters. Handing over a picture of Mizuki to Yuki, they reassure him that his birth was not meaningless as he is loved and wanted. It was unknown, however, why Mizuki withheld the name of her husband from her sisters and also the reason Yuki was left at the orphanage.|
|18||"A World Without You"
"Anata no Inai Sekai" (あなたのいない世界)
|August 8, 2010|
|Yuki decides to visit Luka and is assigned Senshiro and Kuroto as his bodyguards by Takashiro. At Yuki's prompting, Kuroto reveals that he and Senshiro owe Luka a great debt. Meanwhile, Touko and Tsukumo secretly takes a train to the Kamakura mansion in order to check up on Yuki. While Yuki wanders around the compound outside the mansion searching for Luka, Luka encounters Elegy, a General-class Opast from his past, at a clearing within a forest. She tries to persuade Luka to return to the Duras' side but is rejected. A brief fight ensues with Luka easily disarming Elegy, most probably because she refuses to use her full power. As he is about to deal the finishing blow, a figure appears before him: the female Yuki from the past. Luka is stunned to see her and lowers his guard, embracing her as she repeatedly tells him that she loves him. The figure proved to be an illusion when Tsukumo injures Elegy with a shot from his gun and both he and Touko run up to Luka to provide back-up. Elegy, outnumbered, retreats. On the other side of the forest, Yuki is rushed back to the mansion by Senshiro and Kuroto after they sensed Elegy while searching for Luka. Yuki, however, remains worried about Luka's whereabouts as he enters the safety of the mansion.|
|19||"The Vengeful Pair"
"Fukushuu no Imashime no Pea" (復讐の戒めの手(ペア))
|August 15, 2010|
|Kuroto asks Yuki to play shogi with him, where Kuroto shares his past of how Senshiro becomes his second partner. Hotsuma and Shusei are summoned to the Kamakura residence.|
|20||"Sin and Punishment and Promise"
"Tsumi to Bachi to Yakusoku to" (罪と罰と約束と)
|August 22, 2010|
|Deeply concerned for his master Takashiro, Fuyutoki feels frustration with his inability to do anything but simply wait. Inspired by his words, Yuki disobeys Takashiro's orders and leaves the mansion to search for Luka. Meanwhile, Kuroto and Senshiro's nemesis Cadenza, who was summoned by Reiga, vigilantly watches for an opportunity to attack the Giou Clan. When Yuki emerges from the safety of the compound, Cadenza raises a barrier to trap him. Kuroto and Senshiro arrive in time to defend Yuki but are badly outclassed. Yuki raises a wall of defense around Kuroto, Senshiro and himself but starts to fail under repeated attacks from Cadenza. Reiga appears and deflects Cadenza's attack that would shatter Yuki's wall.|
|21||"The Indelible Image"
"Kienu Omokage" (消えぬ面影)
|August 29, 2010|
|Reiga commands Cadenza to retreat by invoking his summoner's right, enveloping Cadenza in chains, which Kuroto explains, will burn through him if he still refuses to obey Reiga's commands. Cadenza remarks slyly that since Reiga already has 2 General-Class Opasts under him, his powers are currently split, making him weaker. Breaking the chains easily, Cadenza turns on his master as befit his title "Master Killer" and they exchange blows. Reiga is overpowered soon enough but as Cadenza readies the finishing strike, Luka appears and blocks the attack, saving Reiga. Telling both Kuroto and Senshiro to escort Yuki back to the mansion, Luka promises Yuki that he will protect Reiga if that is Yuki's wish. As both Luka and Cadenza release their powers in preparation for a duel, the other Zweilts appear. Cadenza aims for a sneak attack at Yuki but is stopped by Reiga, yet again coming to Yuki's aid, surprising everyone. Yuki is even more assured that it is Kanata who wants to protect him and confronts Reiga. However, Reiga mentions that it was just his plan not to kill Yuki so early in the battle and reiterates the fact that Kanata is now gone. As Yuki continues to deny Reiga's words, Cadenza finally asks Reiga where his loyalties lie.|
|22||"To the Final Battle..."
"Kessen he..." (決戦へ…)
|September 05, 2010|
|Reiga and Cadenza retreat to Infernus, granting everyone a temporary reprieve from battle. Having pushed the limits of his power, Yuki loses consciousness and collapses. Witnessing the damage Yuki suffered in battle, the Zweilts gathered at the Kamakura mansion renew their promise to end the war. The doctor warns Tachibana and Luka that if Yuki uses his power again while he still lacks control, Yuki will die. While Yuki and Takashiro are bedridden, Elegy gives Hyde, the surviving Twin Opast, her blood to drink, enabling him to power up. Then the three Opasts attack the Kamakura residence. The Zweilts put up a fight. When Yuki tells Luka he intends to join the fight, Luka goes in his stead, leaving Sodom to guard Yuki. However, Yuki is unable to remain behind in safety and forces himself to go to the fight. As Yuki summons his power to help the Zweilts, Reiga arrives and steals Yuki away, then the three Opasts withdraw.|
|23||"The Battle Of Traitors..."
"Uragiri no Tatakai" (裏切りの戦い)
|September 12, 2010|
|Reiga kidnaps Yuki and uses him to lure Luka and the Zweilts into his territory. Takashiro discovers Reiga's whereabouts and sends Luka and the Zweilts to rescue him. Hyde is held back by Hotsuma and Shusei, Elegy is held back by Tsukumo and Touko, and Cadenza is held back by Kuroto and Senshiro, leaving Luka to confront Reiga and save Yuki. During the magical battle with Reiga, Luka is badly injured. Then Reiga blasts Yuki, intending to kill him, but Luze who addresses Luka as "older brother" arrives and stops the blast because his understanding was that Yuki is essential to their plans.|
"Kokoro o Tsunagu Mono" (心ヲツナグ者)
|September 19, 2010|
|Reiga orders Luze, Luka's younger twin brother, to destroy everything that stands in their way, so Luze challenges Luka. During the fight of Luze and Luka, Takashiro breaks through Reiga's barrier and takes on Reiga, using the darkness within him (the Duras in his body) to put him on equal standing with Reiga. Yuki decides to summon his power to end the cycle and his power goes out of control. Reiga orders Luze to leave because when God's Light is unleashed, it dispels all darkness and can endanger a Duras' existence. Luze, Cadenza and Elegy flee God's Light while Hyde is destroyed and the Zweilts' injuries are healed. Yuki is unable to stop his power but Luka manages to save him. Luka, Takashiro and the Zweilts return to the Kamakura residence with Yuki. Takashiro says the prophetic ritual revealed no emergency, so it is assumed that there's no immediate threat from Reiga in the near future. Takashiro releases the Zweilts to live as they wish until the next battle.|
The August 2011 issue of Kadokawa Shoten's Asuka magazine announced that the manga would be adapted into a live-action stage production which will run in the Ginza district of Tokyo from December 21 to December 25. The cast included Genki Okawa as Yuki Giou (Sakurai), Ire Shiozaki as Zess (Luka Crosszeria), Masakazu Nemoto as Kanata Wakamiya/Reiga Giou, Yu Kariwa as Tsukumo Murasame, Sayaka Chinen as Toko Murasame, Bishin Kawasumi as Hotsuma Renjou, Yamamoto Ikkei as Shūsei Usui, Takafumi Miki as Takashiro Giou, and Tetsuya as Isuzu Fujiwara. The script of the play, staged in November 2012, was published by Kadokawa Shoten in a volume that includes an original UraBoku manga story.
This section needs expansion with: reviews. You can help by adding to it. (August 2016)
- 裏切りは僕の名前を知っている 第12巻 (in Japanese). Kadokawa Shoten. Retrieved November 20, 2016.
- "Fesseln des Verrats Band 1~8". Carlsen Comics. 2008-07-01. Retrieved 2010-05-09.
- "Yen Press Adds Highschool of the Dead, Uraboku". Anime News Network. 2010-07-23.
- "The Betrayal Knows My Name". Yen Press. Retrieved July 31, 2014.
- 裏切りは僕の名前を知っている 第1巻 (in Japanese). Kadokawa Shoten. Retrieved July 31, 2014.
- 裏切りは僕の名前を知っている 第2巻 (in Japanese). Kadokawa Shoten. Retrieved July 31, 2014.
- 裏切りは僕の名前を知っている 第3巻 (in Japanese). Kadokawa Shoten. Retrieved July 31, 2014.
- 裏切りは僕の名前を知っている 第4巻 (in Japanese). Kadokawa Shoten. Retrieved July 31, 2014.
- 裏切りは僕の名前を知っている 第5巻 (in Japanese). Kadokawa Shoten. Retrieved July 31, 2014.
- 裏切りは僕の名前を知っている 第6巻 (in Japanese). Kadokawa Shoten. Retrieved July 31, 2014.
- 裏切りは僕の名前を知っている 第7巻 (in Japanese). Kadokawa Shoten. Retrieved July 31, 2014.
- 裏切りは僕の名前を知っている 第8巻 (in Japanese). Kadokawa Shoten. Retrieved July 31, 2014.
- 裏切りは僕の名前を知っている 第9巻 (in Japanese). Kadokawa Shoten. Retrieved July 31, 2014.
- 裏切りは僕の名前を知っている 第10巻 (in Japanese). Kadokawa Shoten. Retrieved July 31, 2014.
- 裏切りは僕の名前を知っている 第11巻 (in Japanese). Kadokawa Shoten. Retrieved July 31, 2014.
- "ドラマCD 裏切りは僕の名前を知っている" (in Japanese). Retrieved 2010-04-12.
- "ドラマCD 裏切りは僕の名前を知っている 2" (in Japanese). Retrieved 2010-04-12.
- "ドラマCD 裏切りは僕の名前を知っている 3" (in Japanese). Retrieved 2010-04-12.
- "Uragiri wa Boku no Namae o Shitteiru Manga Gets Anime". Anime News Network. 2009-07-30. Retrieved 2010-03-04.
- 放送情報｜裏切りは僕の名前を知っている｜アニメ公式サイト (in Japanese). Archived from the original on 2009-12-27. Retrieved 2010-03-27.
- "【DVD】TV 裏切りは僕の名前を知っている 1 限定版". Animate (in Japanese). Retrieved 2010-03-27.
- "【DVD】TV 裏切りは僕の名前を知っている 2 限定版". Animate (in Japanese). Retrieved 2011-07-21.
- スペシャル｜裏切りは僕の名前を知っている｜アニメ公式サイト (in Japanese). Retrieved 2010-03-27.
- "作品詳細 TVアニメーション「裏切りは僕の名前を知っている」OP&EDテーマ「裏切りのない世界まで」／「蒼い糸」" (in Japanese). Retrieved 2010-03-27.
- "Amazon.co.jp： 裏切りのない世界まで: Rayflower: 音楽" (in Japanese). Amazon.com. Retrieved 2010-04-12.
- "ミュージック・ドラマCD ｜裏切りは僕の名前を知っている｜アニメ公式サイト" (in Japanese). Retrieved 2010-08-02.
- "商品詳細 【主題歌】TV 裏切りは僕の名前を知っている OP「イニシエ」/Rayflower アニメイトオンラインショップ" (in Japanese). animate. Retrieved 2010-08-02.
- 放送情報｜裏切りは僕の名前を知っている｜アニメ公式サイト1 (in Japanese). Archived from the original on 2009-12-27. Retrieved 2010-05-09.
- 放送情報｜裏切りは僕の名前を知っている｜アニメ公式サイト2 (in Japanese). Archived from the original on 2009-12-27. Retrieved 2010-05-09.
- 放送情報｜裏切りは僕の名前を知っている｜アニメ公式サイト3 (in Japanese). Archived from the original on 2009-12-27. Retrieved 2010-05-09.
- 放送情報｜裏切りは僕の名前を知っている｜アニメ公式サイト4 (in Japanese). Archived from the original on 2009-12-27. Retrieved 2010-05-09.
- 放送情報｜裏切りは僕の名前を知っている｜アニメ公式サイト5 (in Japanese). Archived from the original on 2009-12-27. Retrieved 2010-05-09.
- 放送情報｜裏切りは僕の名前を知っている｜アニメ公式サイト6 (in Japanese). Archived from the original on 2009-12-27. Retrieved 2010-05-14.
- 放送情報｜裏切りは僕の名前を知っている｜アニメ公式サイト7 (in Japanese). Archived from the original on 2009-12-27. Retrieved 2010-05-14.
- 放送情報｜裏切りは僕の名前を知っている｜アニメ公式サイト8 (in Japanese). Archived from the original on 2009-12-27. Retrieved 2010-05-22.
- 放送情報｜裏切りは僕の名前を知っている｜アニメ公式サイト9 (in Japanese). Archived from the original on 2009-12-27. Retrieved 2010-05-30.
- 放送情報｜裏切りは僕の名前を知っている｜アニメ公式サイト10 (in Japanese). Archived from the original on 2009-12-27. Retrieved 2010-06-05.
- 放送情報｜裏切りは僕の名前を知っている アニメ公式サイト11 (in Japanese). Archived from the original on 2009-12-27. Retrieved 2010-07-11.
- 放送情報｜裏切りは僕の名前を知っている アニメ公式サイト12 (in Japanese). Archived from the original on 2009-12-27. Retrieved 2010-07-11.
- 放送情報｜裏切りは僕の名前を知っている アニメ公式サイト13 (in Japanese). Archived from the original on 2009-12-27. Retrieved 2010-07-11.
- 放送情報｜裏切りは僕の名前を知っている アニメ公式サイト14 (in Japanese). Archived from the original on 2009-12-27. Retrieved 2010-07-11.
- 放送情報｜裏切りは僕の名前を知っている アニメ公式サイト15 (in Japanese). Archived from the original on 2009-12-27. Retrieved 2010-07-11.
- 放送情報｜裏切りは僕の名前を知っている アニメ公式サイト16 (in Japanese). Archived from the original on 2009-12-27. Retrieved 2010-07-27.
- 放送情報｜裏切りは僕の名前を知っている アニメ公式サイト17 (in Japanese). Archived from the original on 2009-12-27. Retrieved 2010-07-27.
- 放送情報｜裏切りは僕の名前を知っている アニメ公式サイト18 (in Japanese). Archived from the original on 2009-12-27. Retrieved 2010-08-02.
- "UraBoku Boys-Love Manga Gets Stage Play in Japan". Retrieved November 20, 2016.
- "UraBoku to Become Stage Play". Retrieved November 20, 2016.
- 裏切りは僕の名前を知っている 深紅にとけゆく想いの果てに (in Japanese). Kadokawa Shoten. Retrieved November 20, 2016.
- "New York Times Manga Best Seller List, August 26-September 1". Anime News Network. September 7, 2012. Retrieved September 16, 2016.
"New York Times Manga Best Seller List, March 10–16". Anime News Network. March 22, 2013. Retrieved September 16, 2016.
"New York Times Manga Best Seller List, September 22–28". Anime News Network. October 4, 2013. Retrieved September 16, 2016.