Ural State University
|Уральский государственный университет
им. А. М. Горького
|Motto||Hominem ūnīus librī timeō|
Motto in English
|Beware the man of one book (Thomas Aquinas)|
|Established||19 October 1920|
|Students||8,000+ Full Time
10,000+ part-time and distance-education students
|Address||51, Lenina str., 620083, Yekaterinburg, Russia, Yekaterinburg, Sverdlovsk Oblast, Russia|
The Ural State University (Russian: Урáльский госудáрственный университéт и́мени А.М. Гóрького, Urál'skiy gosudárstvennyy universitét ímeni A. M. Gór'kogo, often shortened to USU, УрГУ) is located in the city of Yekaterinburg, Sverdlovsk Oblast, Russian Federation. Founded in 1920, it was an exclusive educational establishment made of several institutes (educational and scientific divisions) which later became independent universities and schools.
Established in 1936 the University was named after one of its founders, Russian author Maxim Gorky. It is the second oldest University in the Middle Urals (the oldest being Urals State University of Mines) and one of the most prestigious universities in Russia; preparing research, educational and managerial elite on the basis of the integration of academic process and scientific research. It offers education in dozens of scientific and educational fields including 53 graduate programs. In 2007 Dmitriy Bugrov was elected new rector, while the incumbent Vladimir Tretyakov took the office of the President, representing the University in international affairs.
The USU is organized into 95 chairs and 14 departments. These are Biology, Journalism, Culturology & Arts, History, Mathematics and Mechanics, Politology and Sociology, Psychology, Physics, Philology, Philosophy, Public relations, Chemistry, Foreign affairs, and Economics. Among the University's faculty there are 18 academicians of the Russian Academy of Sciences.
The University also has a Lyceum, the Leonardo Italian College, an Institute of Physics and Applied Mathematics, an Interregional Institute of Social Sciences, the Russian-American Institute of Economy and Business, the Institute of Management and Entrepreneurship, a distance education center, the Russian Culture Institute, an observatory, a botanical garden, a scientific library with over 1,200,000 volumes, a publishing house, several museums, a special chair of Russian as foreign language, a laboratory for e-learning of foreign languages, and offers refresher courses and Institutes for Further Education and Training.
Every year the Ural State University hosts the Demidov Lectures - a series of lectures given by the Demidov Prize winners.
Since 2010, the University has been The Ural Federal university after Boris Yeltsin. It was caused by the Russian Federation's President's decree #1172 from 21.10.2010. The University is now joint with The Ural State Technical University.
The most prominent scientific schools created in Ural State University:
- Ural scientific school in electrochemistry founded by Professor S. V. Karpachiov
- Ural scientific school in ferromagnetism founded by Academician Sergei Vonsovsky
- Ural scientific school in population ecology founded by Academician Stanislav Shwarts
- Ural scientific school in sociology founded by Professor L. N. Kogan
- Ural scientific school in Byzantine studies founded by Professor M. Syuzyumov
- Ural scientific school in algebra founded by Professor P. G. Kontorovich
- Ural scientific school in the generalized functions theory and the ill-posed problems theory founded by Professor V. K. Ivanov
- Ural scientific school in mathematical theory of control and the theory of differential games founded by Academician Nikolai Nikolaevich Krasovsky, winner of the Lomonosov Gold Medal of the Russian Academy of Sciences
- Ural scientific school in toponymy founded by Professor Aleksandr Matveyev
- Ural scientific school in photosynthesis founded by Academician A. T. Mokronosov
USU was ranked 25th among Russian Ministry of Education's top universities in 2004. According to the Webometrics Ranking's which is based on the volume of the Web presence and the amount of Web publications, USU is ranked 7th in Russia.
- Yury Osipov - President of the Russian Academy of Sciences, member of the Russian government
- Faina Mihajlovna Kirillova - mathematician and control theorist
- Viktor Koksharov - head of the government of Sverdlovsk Oblast
- Vladislav Krapivin - author of children's books
- Ilya Kormiltsev - poet, interpreter, rock musician
- Alexander Bashlachev - famous poet, rock musician, songwriter
- Arkadiy Krazhimskiy - Russian mathematician, full member of RAS
- Dmitriy Bugrov - present-day rector of the USU
- Vladimir Tretyakov - former rector, present-day president of the USU
Also the next famous people and scientists are Notable alumni of the Ural state university:
- Babochenko, Yuri Petrovich - film producer;
- Bashlachev, Alexander - a poet, a rock singer;
- Bugrov, Vitaly - Soviet literary critic, historian of science fiction;
- Burbulis, Gennady E. - State and public figure, the State Secretary of the RSFSR;
- Chernikov, Sergei - mathematician, Academician
- Gerasimov, Iosif - writer, journalist, playwright and screenwriter;
- Grigoriev, Gennady - playwright, poet;
- Guselnikov, Leonid - social activist, journalist and chairman of OGTRK Yamal-Region ";
- Ivanov, Alexei V. - writer;
- Kara-ool, Sholban - statesman, Prime Minister of the Republic of Tuva;
- Kogan, Shulim - Soviet and American physicist, author of the theory of semiclassical fluctuations in nonequilibrium systems;
- Kozhushanaya, Nadezhda - writer, screenwriter, author of the screenplay for the film "The Mirror for a Hero" (1987) and "Foot" (1991);
- Koksharov, Victor - statesman, former chairman of the Government of Sverdlovsk region;
- Konovalov, Anatoly - mathematician, Academician;
- Kormiltsev, Ilya - poet, translator, activist rock movement;
- Krapivin, Vladislav - writer, journalist;
- Krasnopolsky, Vladimir - film director, People's Artist of Russia;
- Kuzmin, Anton - conceptual artist and writer.
- Kuritsyn, Vyacheslav - critic, novelist, literary figure;
- Likhanov, Albert - writer and public figure, academician of the waste;
- Loyevskiy, Oleg - a theater critic, director of the festival "real theater";
- Malakhin, Eugene (Pseudonym: "The old man imprisoned") - painter, poet, folk artist of Russia;
- Maltsev, Stanislav - writer, journalist;
- Brain, Vladimir - writer, journalist;
- Motyl, Vladimir - film director;
- Naumov, Stanislav - philosopher, sociologist, Deputy. Minister of Industry and Trade;
- Osipov, Yuri - mathematician, academician, president of the Institute;
- Petrov, Alexander Y. - entrepreneur, CEO of OJSC Concern Kalina (Yekaterinburg);
- Pikhoya, Rudolph - historian, head of the State Archival Service of Russia, Chief Archivist of Russia (1993–1996);
- Plotnikov, Boris G. - Actor, People's Artist of Russia;
- Presnyakov brothers - playwrights;
- Ryzhy, Boris - poet;
- Semin, Konstantin - journalist, TV presenter;
- Shemetev, Alexander A. - interpreter, writer(graduated from the university with honors 3 times);
- Shkolnik, Alexander - a journalist and social activist;
- Shmatko, Sergei - statesman, Minister of Energy (May 12, 2008).
- Slavnikova, Olga - writer, winner of the "Russian Booker;
- Slobodin, Mikhail - entrepreneur, president of Integrated Energy Systems ".
- Uskov, Valerii - director, People's Artist of Russia;
- Valery, Chichkanov - Economist correspondent member at RAS, Deputy. Chairman of the Council of Ministers of the RSFSR deputy. Minister of Foreign Economic Relations of the Russian Federation;
- Volchik, Andrey - chairman of the bank "Northern Treasury";
- Zatoka, Andrew L. - environmentalist and social activist;
- Zdanovich, Gennady B. - archeologists, the creator of the archaeological school.
- Zyablitsev Evgeny - politicians, public figures;
The location and the set of the symbols on the emblem of the Ural State University were officially approved on 24 April 2008.
The emblem centre represents the cross of Saint Catherine of Alexandria, the patroness of Yekaterinburg. This is the concave-spiked four-part cross. Spikes, which form the cross, refer to one more symbol – the staff of Egyptian priests, keepers of sacred knowledge. This staff is also called the staff of Anthony the Great, which symbolizes search and attainment of truth. A solar symbol – a cogwheel, put on the cross, symbolizes the sun and the light of knowledge. At the same time the wheel and the cross are St. Catherine’s attribute, who, according to the legend, was condemned to be broken on the wheel.
- Ural State Law Academy
- Ural State Technical University
- List of modern universities in Europe (1801–1945)
- The official site of the Ural State University
- Proceedings of the Ural State University - free on-line version