||This article is written like a travel guide rather than an encyclopedic description of the subject. (July 2013)|
Panoramic view of Urappakkam Panchayat village
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|PIN||kanchipuram -603202, 603210 , 603211|
It is part of Chengalpattu taluk of Kancheepuram district and it has been categorised as Village panchayat under Kattankulathur Panchayat Union in Kanchipuram Region.The population was 29,122 during the 2011.
It is situated on the busy National Highway 45. It is situated between Chennai Tambaram and Chengalpattu at a distance of 8 km from Chennai Tambaram and 21 km from Chengalpattu. It is one of the fast-growing area outside Chennai Metropolitan region.
Urapakkam is located between Entrance Gateway of South Chennai Vandalur Chennai city Limit and Kanchipuram region Guduvancheri Town in Chengalpattu taluk.. The railway line that runs through it separates the place into Urappakkam east and Urappakkam west. Urappakkam is bound on the western side by the Madambakkam and Adhanur villages, the eastern side by periyar nagar, Karanai-Puducheri(belong to karanaipuducheri panchyat) and Iyenchery villages(Part of Urappakkam Panchyat), the northern side by Chennai Vandalur Chennai corporation limit , and the southern side by Guduvancheri Town panchayat. Also, it is very close to the fast-developing Chennai City corridors like Vandalur-Kelambakkam Road and Chengalpattu taulk region like SP Koil-Oragadam-Sriperumbudur Road, and the Chennai outer Outer Ring Road (Chennai Vandalur to Minjur).
The village that buffers Urapakkam with Guduvancheri is Nandivaram and the village that buffers Urapakkam..
Urapakkam is supported by a fully functional electricity board and a village panchayat office. It has two sub post offices - one in east and the other is in west. The Rail over bridge opened before few years has contributed to the increase in the real estate prices, the area has witnessed a lot of growth with increase in the number of residential houses, real estate projects, Apartments, Banks, commercial shops. Despite abundance growth many parts of Urapakkam lacks even basic civic amenities such as drinking water, electricity connection and proper roads. There is huge water logging in the roads during the rainy season and no roads have been laid in many areas despite the increase in the number of residencies and population. 
There are lots of financial institutions that are opening in Urapakkam. Most of them are on the GST road itself.
Even though the area is touted as a rapidly developing area, civic amenities and public services are very poor. The area doesn't have underground sewage, forcing people to let their water waste on the roads. There are no dedicated telephone exchange and police stations in Urapakkam, forcing them to go to Guduvancherry for their needs. As a result, people residing in the interior areas don't have access to internet through service providers like Airtel and BSNL, and depend only on wireless internet.
The following banks have opened their branches or ATMs
- Karur Vysya bank - This was the first Bank
- Canara Bank
- Indian Overseas Bank
- ICICI Bank
- City Union Bank
- State Bank of India
- State Bank of Hyderabad - This is in Urapakkam West
- Axis Bank - ATM only
- There are a few other financial institutions like Muthoot Finance that are also in GST
- Gyms / Martial Arts centers
There are a few Gyms around here that have been there for a long time. A few of them have started spring up in the last 3 years predominantly on GST.
- Phoenix Gym
- My Gym
- Rock Gym and Fitness
- Twins Badminton Club near Railway over bridge.
- Dance / Song classes
There has been lot of activity recently in Urapakkam with respect to training in music and dance. The interest has peaked after the Super Singer program that Star Vijay airs every day.
There have been lot of individuals that teach in and around Urapakkam. As an institution, there are a few that actually teach.
- K School of Music
- Kalyani Music Class
College in Chennai region
- B. S. Abdur Rahman Institute of Science and Technology (formerly Crescent Engineering College) at Chennai Vandalur
College in Kanchipuram region
Schools in Urapakkam
- Ananthavalli Matriculation School
- Sri Sankara Vidyalaya
- Prakash Institute
- Neelan Matriculation School
- Holy Sai International School
- Government School
- Deva Annai School
- Emmanuel School
Play School in Urapakkam.
- Chocolate Kids Play School (Raliway St Road,Urapakkam).
- Bolster Institution- Aathichudi International Play school
Schools Near Urapakkam
- Velammal Vidyashramam - In Padappai and Guduvanchery
- St. Johns Matriculation School - In Gudubanchery
- Vidhya Mandir - In L&T Estancia, Guduvanchery
- Chocolate Kids Innovative School - In Guduvanchery
Schools in Chennai region Below
- Zion Matriculation School - Chennai Vandalur
- Srimathi Sundaravalli Memorial School - Chennai Perungalathur
- Good Earth School - Near Kishkinta Chennai
New CMBT Bus terminus
On 7 September 2016, Govt of Tamil Nadu Announced Urapakkam Panchayat Town Located Outside Chennai has been selected for Proposed New CMBT Bus Terminus Like one in Koyembedu Chennai. Earlier it was Planned in Guduvancheri but it was dropped due Land Accommodation Problem's.
New Bus Termius is Going to Built in outside Chennai due to InSufficient of Lands in Chennai City Region.
New mall at Chennai region
- Gold Souk Grande Mall Chennai (Under Construction), Near Crescent Engineering College, Vandalur Chennai This mall has been "under construction" for the past eight years.
Urapakkam is strategically located on GST Road and has good road connectivity to major locations In Chennai Airport, Chennai Tambaram and Kanchipuram Regions Like Mahindra City, OMR, ORR, Oragadam, Sriperumbudur, etc. Urapakkam has an added advantage of good connectivity via Suburban railway network (Chennai Beach-Tambaram-Chengalpattu).
- Nearest Bus Stops - Tea Shop Bus stop and Govt. School bus stop (even some SETC buses stop here)
- Nearest Railway Station - Urapakkam
Some MTC buses passing through Urapakkam are :
|XPP21||Broadway - Guduvancheri|
|W500CV||C.M.B.T. - Chenglepet N.T.|
|M55B||Guduvancheri - Pazhanthandalam|
|X500A||Hasthinapuram - Chenglepet N.T.|
|M18G||Hasthinapuram - Guduvancheri|
|XE18, WE18V, SE18, SPP21||High Court - Guduvancheri|
|S518EX||High Court - Maraimalai Nagar I.E.|
|S500B||High Court - S.P.Koil|
|X70V||Koymabedu Market - Guduvancheri|
|M18N||Nanganallur - Guduvancheri|
|M52EXT||Pozhichalur - Guduvancheri|
|118P||Puzhuthivakkam B.S - Guduvancheri|
|S500, W500V, X500||T.Nagar - Chenglepet N.T.|
|G18NS, LG18, SG18, XG18||T.Nagar - Guduvancheri|
|XG118||T.Nagar - Kavanoor Koot Road|
|S518||T.Nagar - Maraimalai Nagar I.E.|
|M500||Tambaram - Chenglepet N.T.|
|M18||Tambaram - Guduvanchery|
|18L, M18L||Tambaram - Madambakkam|
|M118||Tambaram - Maraimalai Nagar I.E.|
|X555N||Tambaram - Thirupporur|
|XG70, SG70||Vadapalani B.S - Guduvancheri|
|V 21||Guduvancheri B.S - Thiruvanmiyur B.S|
|W500VV, 500J||Velachery - Chenglepet N.T.|
|T51S||Guduvancheri - Thiruvanmiyur|
|A21extn||Gudavancheri - Okiyam Thoraipakkam|
|S5||Guduvanchery - keerapakkam|
Suburban Train Timings
- Urappakkam to Chennai Beach Jn - http://erail.in/?T=UPM::MSB
- Chennai Beach Jn to Urappakkam - http://erail.in/?T=MSB::UPM
||Mannivakkam Chennai||VandalurChennai||Vandalur-Kelambakkam Road Chennai|
|Adhanur Kanchipuram||Karanai Puducheri / Iyenchery Kanchipuram|
- B. S. Abdur Rahman Institute of Science and Technologyat Chennai
- Arignar Anna Zoological Park at Chennai
- Kalyan Hometel-Sarovar Hotel at Vandalur
- SRM University at Chengalpattu
- Vandalur Chennai
- Guduvancheri Kanchipuram
- Tambaram Chennai
- Gold Souk Grande Mall Chennai
- Valliammai Engineering College at Chengalpattu
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Urapakkam.|