Urban Renewal (tribute album)
|Studio album by Various artists|
|Released||February 2001 (Europe)
February 25, 2003 (United States)
|Singles from Urban Renewal|
Urban Renewal is a tribute album to singer Phil Collins, released in 2001 in most European markets and in 2003 in the United States, containing remakes of his songs by R&B and hip hop performers. Collins remarked:
"We all think black R&B artists know what they're talking about. The first time I was aware of it was when I watched a documentary on Ice-T. This smug UK journalist looking at his record collection said, 'What's with all the Phil Collins stuff?' He said, 'Don't mess with my Phil.' I remember thinking, 'My God!' You feel like ringing people up and saying, 'Are you watching this?!'"
Although the album itself was not a worldwide success, only charting in Germany at number three, individual singles from the album performed well in various markets, including "Another Day in Paradise" as performed by Brandy and Ray J and "In the Air Tonite" as performed by rapper Lil' Kim. A remake by Deborah Cox, "Something Happened on the Way to Heaven", was later released as a dance remix on her 2003 album, Remixed. It reached number one on the Billboard Dance Radio Airplay chart and peaked at ninety-five on the Billboard Hot 100.
The chief pop and rock critic of The Guardian, Alexis Petridis, described it as a "horrid and inexplicable album of hip-hop and R&B covers" with the "solitary redeeming track" being the version of "Sussudio". In 2006, Q magazine listed Urban Renewal as No. 3 in their list of the 50 worst albums ever.
- "Ray J Prelude" - Ray J
- "Another Day in Paradise" - Brandy and Ray J
- "Sussudio" - Ol' Dirty Bastard
- "Something Happened on the Way to Heaven" - Deborah Cox
- "This Must Be Love" - Dane Bowers featuring Kelis
- "In the Air Tonite" - Lil' Kim featuring Phil Collins
- "Gotta Hold Over Me" - Coko
- "I Don't Care Anymore" - Kelis
- "Can't Turn Back the Years" - Joe
- "Do You Remember?" - Debelah Morgan
- "Against All Odds" - Montell Jordan
- "One More Night" - Changing Faces
- "All of My Life" - TQ
- "I Wish It Would Rain Down" - Brian McKnight and Monique S.V.
- "Take Me Home" - Malik Pendleton
- "Separate Lives" - Chico DeBarge <Japanese Bonus Track>
- "Long Long Way to Go" - Tony Rich Project <Japanese Bonus Track>
- "Another Day in Paradise" (Black Legend VS. J-Reverse Club Mix) - Brandy and Ray J" <Japanese Bonus Track>