A major contributor to this article appears to have a close connection with its subject. (October 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Urban Saints is a Christian youth charity based in the United Kingdom. Previously known as Crusaders, it has been operating since the early 1900s. Urban Saints is a member of the Evangelical Alliance.
The original Crusaders group was formed in 1900 in north London by Rev Albert Kestin, with the intention of teaching the Bible to young people who did not attend church. Several similar groups started in the years that following and in 1906, under the leadership of Herbert Bevington, the leaders of eleven groups voted to form the Crusaders’ Union as an umbrella organisation. By 1939 there were 256 groups.
In 2000, Matt Summerfield became chief executive. Since then, the organisation has developed Energize, online resources, discipleship activities, discussions and videos for youth and children’s groups. As of 2018, Energize had over 1600 subscribers.
Urban Saints also offers summer camps, overseas adventure trips and additional needs training. Urban Saints own Urban Saints Westbrook, a residential centre and campsite on the Isle of Wight. This site has been in operation since 1948.
In 2017, following the arrival of Richard Langmead as chief executive, the organisation's strategy placed focus on planting and supporting new groups in churches, schools and communities across the UK and Ireland.
- "Find an Organisation". Evangelical Alliance UK. Retrieved 28 September 2018.
- "Crusaders - 100 Not Out". Cross Rhythm. Retrieved 28 September 2018.
- "Our History". Urban Saints. Retrieved 20 September 2018.
- Watford, J (1995). Yesterday and Today. Rushden: Stanley L Hunt (Printers) Ltd. p. 7. ISBN 9781897987131.
- "SCANLAN, MARK CHRISTOPHER (2017) Urban Saints: An Interweaving Ecclesiology as a Contribution to the Fresh Expressions Debate , Durham theses, Durham University". Durham Theses. Retrieved 28 September 2018.
- "Sir Cliff Richard Shares Faith at Crusaders' Centenary". Christian Today. Retrieved 28 September 2018.
- "No Turning Back: Crusaders 100th Anniversary Concert". Cross Rhythms. Retrieved 20 September 2018.
- "Resource: Energize". Big Bible UK. Retrieved 28 September 2018.
- "Energize". Great Commission. Retrieved 28 September 2018.
- "Annual Report 2017" (PDF). Urban Saints. Retrieved 28 September 2018.
- "Partners". Additional Needs Alliance. Retrieved 28 September 2018.
- "All Inclusive: Getting Started". Premier Youth and Children's Work. Retrieved 28 September 2018.
- "Urban Saints Residential Centre". UK School Trips. Retrieved 28 September 2018.
- "Our Story". Urban Saints Westbrook. Retrieved 20 September 2018.
- "Welcome to Urban Saints!". Poole Christian Fellowship. Retrieved 28 September 2018.
- "Q&A: Richard Langmead". Premier Youth and Children's Work. Retrieved 20 September 2018.