Urmas Tartes in 2013.
September 19, 1963 (age 54)|
Urmas Tartes (September 19, 1963) is an Estonian biologist and nature photographer.
He ended his studies in Nõo Secondary school in 1982 with a gold medal and graduated from University of Tartu in 1989 with cum laude as biologist-zoologist. He became Doctor of Philosophy in 1995 with a thesis "Respiration Rhythms in Insects".
Since 1989 he worked in Estonian Institute of Zoology and Botany. Between 1996 and 2004 he served as the director of the institute. In 2005–2010 he was a professor in Estonian University of Life Sciences. From then on, he continued as a freelance nature photographer and writer.
In 2009 he won Veolia Environnement Wildlife Photographer of the Year in the category "Animals in their Environment" with a photo of a springtail on a snowflake.
Tartes has co-authored several books:
- 2001 – Bioloogia gümnaasiumile (part III), Eesti Loodusfoto. ISBN 9985830466
- 2008 – Legendiloomad, Varrak. ISBN 9789985317822
- 2009 – Loodusfoto lugu ja lumm, Varrak. ISBN 9789985319901
- 2012 – Putukad õhus, maas ja vees, Valgus. ISBN 9789985682692
- 2014 – Eesti päevaliblikad, Varrak. ISBN 9789985329993
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Urmas Tartes.|