|Original author(s)||Pascal Rigaux|
8.105 / October 20, 2016
|Type||Package management system|
urpmi is a package management tool for installing, removing, updating and querying software packages of local or remote (networked) media. It wraps around the RPM Package Manager (RPM) package manager so that the user will not suffer the often-encountered dependency hell. It works with official sources from Mandriva or unofficial sources such as those from the Penguin Liberation Front. It has a graphical front-end: Rpmdrake.
In addition to the now-defunct Mandriva Linux, it is also being used by:
- Uruk GNU/Linux, a 100% free software system origin in Iraq, based on this package manager virtually for Uruk package manager simulator, and Linux-libre kernels and apt real package manager from Trisquel, also named after a city in Iraq
- Mageia (a French fork of Mandriva Linux that is the base for future Mandriva products)
- ROSA Linux and openMandriva (the Russian forks of Mandriva Linux that is the base for future OpenMandriva products).
urpmi was developed as an experiment by Pascal Rigaux (Pixel) to address RPM install limitations; it was further maintained by François Pons and different Mandriva employees. It is currently (2010-2013) maintained by Thierry Vignaud who was the maintainer of rpmdrake and one of the co-maintainers of the drakx installer and tools at Mandriva before he continued doing that job at Mageia. This is the version that will be used by Mandriva in its future products which will be based on Mageia.
Per Øyvind Karlsen maintains a fork of urpmi at Rosa Linux, backporting fixes and improvements from Thierry Vignaud work, but this is not the version used by Mandriva Business Server (which is based on Mageia).
|Uninstall package with link (dependencies)|
|Query the package database|
|Find package that contains a file|
|Find package knowing only a part of an rpm name|
|Update your package list|
|Update your system (using all repositories)|
|Update your system (only using update repositories)|
|Find package containing <word> in their name|
|Find package without link (dependencies)|
- distrowatch.com: OpenMandriva
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2015-05-23. Retrieved 2015-05-23.
|This installation software article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|