Ursula Lehr 2008
|Minister of Youth, Family, Women and Health|
1989 – December 1990
|Preceded by||Rita Suessmuth|
5 June 1930 |
|Political party||Christian Democratic Union|
|Alma mater||University of Frankfurt/Main
University of Bonn
Ursula Lehr (born 5 June 1930) is a German academic, age researcher and politician who served as federal minister of youth, family, women and health from 1989 to 1990. She was also a member of the Bundestag.
Early life and education
Lehr is an academic. She was a member of the Christian Democratic Union (CDU). In a cabinet reshuffle on 9 April 1989 Lehr became federal minister of youth, family, women and health in the cabinet led by Chancellor Helmut Kohl. Lehr replaced popular politician Rita Suessmuth in the aforementioned post. Lehr's term lasted until December 1990 when she resigned from office due to harsh criticisms since she was not very successful and popular. Lehr served at the Bundestag from 1990 to 1991. After leaving politics, she returned to her teaching post.
Lehr is the founder of the German centre for research on aging (DZFA) at the University of Heidelberg that was established in 1995 and headed the centre until 1998. She also served as the chair of the German society of gerontology and geriatrics from 1997 to 1998. She was elected the head of the BAGSO (German National Association of Senior Citizens’ Organisations) in 2009. She was reelected to the post in October 2012 for further three years. She is also the honorary president of the BAGSO.
- "Advisory board". Demographic. Retrieved 9 April 2013.
- "Ursula Lehr". AARP. Retrieved 9 April 2013.
- "Germany faces escalating costs". The Deseret News. 24 December 1990. Retrieved 10 April 2013.
- Gerhard A. Ritter (5 May 2011). The Price of German Unity: Reunification and the Crisis of the Welfare State. Oxford University Press. p. 204. ISBN 978-0-19-955682-3. Retrieved 10 April 2013.
- Tuohy, William (14 April 1989). "Kohl Shuffles Cabinet to Aid Image Before Election". Los Angeles Times. Bonn. Retrieved 10 April 2013.
- Sarah Elise Wiliarty (16 August 2010). The CDU and the Politics of Gender in Germany: Bringing Women to the Party. Cambridge University Press. p. 167. ISBN 978-1-139-49116-7. Retrieved 10 April 2013.
- "News from the European Senior Citizens' Union (ESCU)" (PDF). Senior International. 33. 6 December 2009. Retrieved 10 April 2013.
- "News from the European Senior Citizens' Union" (PDF). Senior International. 69. 29 October 2012.
- "Closing Event". Europa. 13 December 2012. Retrieved 9 April 2013.
- "International Projects" (PDF). BAGSO. Retrieved 9 April 2013.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Ursula Lehr.|