Ursuline Academy (Cincinnati, Ohio)
We learn not for school but for life.
|5535 Pfeiffer Road
Blue Ash (Cincinnati), Ohio, (Hamilton County) 45242
|Religious affiliation(s)||Roman Catholic|
|President||Sharon L. Redmond|
|Principal||Tom M. Barhorst|
|Average class size||18-25|
|Student to teacher ratio||12:1|
|Color(s)||Green and Gold|
|Slogan||Voice. Values. Vision.|
|Athletics conference||Girls Greater Cincinnati League|
|Rival||Mount Notre Dame|
|Accreditation||North Central Association of Colleges and Schools |
|Newspaper||The Lion's Roar|
|Director of Admissions||Molly McClarnon|
|Athletic Director||Diane Redmond|
Ursuline Academy is a four-year college-preparatory independent girls’ Catholic high school founded by the Ursuline sisters of Brown County, Ohio in 1896. As of 2015[update], 700 students from all over Greater Cincinnati are enrolled in the school, representing 50 different ZIP codes.
Ursuline offers a curriculum of over 100 courses specifically designed to prepare the student for the demands of college level programs. A modular schedule (see below) is enhanced by the open-area structure which provides flexible learning areas. Twenty-six different co-curricular activities are available to students including 13 different sports at various levels.
The tuition for 2014-2015 is $11,850, $275 additional for technology; $175 additional for activity fee. Tuition does not include fees for Kairos and Graduation. Each class level has certain fees such as retreat fees, special class equipment fees, etc.
During the 1970s, Ursuline switched to a modular schedule. This consists of 6 days (lettered A-F) each with 18 modules. Each mod is 20 min, with a 3 min passing time between each one added in 2004. Classes range from 2-4 modules long. Students say that the schedule works very well in helping them with time management and responsibility.
Each also has a certain number of free mods each day to eat, study, do homework, work in the library, or socialize. As the choice of classes becomes more open to each student, free mods become more abundant. A typical student would have between 21 and 40 free mods a cycle, depending on the number of classes taken.
Different schedule days are set up so that mods can be shortened, (to incorporate time for a pep rally, department meeting, etc.) but are never skipped.
Clubs and activities
Ursuline has an extensive Electronic and Digital Media Program, complete with six film courses and four digital media courses. Ursuline hosts the annual Golden Lion Awards Film Festival each Spring, which includes schools from Ohio, Kentucky, and Indiana.
The Ursuline Writing Center is a service for students seeking dialogue and assistance regarding their writing. The Writing Center is staffed by carefully selected and trained upperclasswomen and the English Department faculty. Through one-on-one sessions of reading, response, conversation and writing -- peer tutors and faculty members assist students to become their own best composers and editors. Within this format, the center's core mission is to support writing at all grade levels and in all subjects and offered languages. The Writing Center is open every school day during Mods 3-16.
Ohio High School Athletic Association State Championships
- Girls Tennis - 1994
- Girls Tennis - Doubles 2012
- Girls Tennis - Singles 2011
- Girls Volleyball - 1975, 1993, 2002, 2009, 2012
- Girls Swimming and Diving – 1991, 1998, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2013, 2014
- Girls Golf – 1999
Other Athletic Accomplishments
- Golf State Runner-up 1992, 1998, 2003
- Swimming and Diving State Runner-up 1992, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1999, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2011, 2012
- Volleyball State Runner-up 1995, 2001, 2003, 2008
- Volleyball National Runner Up 2009
- Tennis State Runner-up 2000, 2011
- Field Hockey Final Four State - 1998, 2001, 2012
- Cross Country State Qualifier - 2003, 2013
- Marguerite Clark (1899) - Silent film actress
- Theresa Rebeck (1976) - Playwright, novelist and screenwriter
- Amy Yasbeck (1980) - Actress and widow of actor John Ritter
- Linda Vester (1983) - Former news anchor at NBC and Fox News
- Sharon Wheatley (1985) - Broadway actress and writer
- Erin Phenix (1999) - 2000 Olympics - Swimming gold medalist Women's 4x100 Freestyle Relay
- "Catholic High School open house listing". The Catholic Telegraph. 184 (10). Archdiocese of Cincinnati. October 2015. p. 13.
- NCA-CASI. "NCA-Council on Accreditation and School Improvement". Archived from the original on April 29, 2009. Retrieved 2009-06-23.
- "2009 Convention – Club Point Summary" (PDF). Ohio Junior Classical League. 2009. Retrieved 10 August 2009.
- "2010 State Convention – Club Point Summary" (PDF). OJCL.org. Ohio Junior Classical League. 2010. Retrieved 7 March 2010.
- "Constitution of the Ohio Junior Classical League" (PDF). Ohio Junior Classical League. March 2008. Retrieved 18 September 2009.
...by paying both OJCL annual chapter dues and any annual chapter membership dues required by NJCL.
- OHSAA. "Ohio High School Athletic Association Web site". Retrieved 2006-12-31.
- Nunn, Curtis (1981). Marguerite Clark, America's Darling of Broadway and the Silent Screen. TCU Press. p. 4.