Uruguayans in Paraguay
There are lots of Uruguayan-born persons living in Paraguay, for a number of reasons. Both countries share the Spanish language; the historical origins of both nations is common (part of the Spanish Empire until the early 19th century); both countries are members of MERCOSUR, there is no need of special migration documents, and geographical vicinity makes circulation easy.
In the decade of the 2010s there have been several Uruguayan investors purchasing productive land in Paraguay.
- José Gervasio Artigas (1764-1850), honored as national hero of the Uruguayans, spent his last 30 years exiled in Paraguay
- Luis Cubilla (1940-2013), footballer, manager of Club Olimpia
- Ever Hugo Almeida (born 1948 in Salto), manager of Club Olimpia
- Eduardo Gavarret (born 1956 in Minas), general authority of the LDS Church
- "Uruguayan residents in Paraguay". Presidency of Uruguay. 6 June 2007. (Spanish)
- "Uruguayans investing in Paraguay and Bolivia". El Observador. 12 June 2015. (Spanish)
- Consejo Consultivo en Paraguay "José Gervasio Artigas" (Spanish)
- "List of Consultative Councils of Uruguayans abroad". Retrieved 1 November 2013. (Spanish)
- "Paraguay-Uruguay relations". Brecha. 18 July 2014. (Spanish)
|This article article about the history of Uruguay is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about the history of Paraguay is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|