User Experience Professionals Association
User Experience Professionals Association (UXPA) International, formerly the Usability Professionals Association (UPA), is a professional association for people interested in user experience (UX). UXPA International supports people who research, design, and evaluate the UX of products and services.
Founded in 1991, the original 50-member group has grown to serve a community that includes nearly 2,400 members worldwide by promoting UX concepts and techniques through its annual international conference, publishing new UX findings through both the Journal of Usability Studies (JUS) and User Experience Magazine, and its 59 local chapters in 30 countries around the world.
In 2004, UXPA International established World Usability Day, which in 2011 was celebrated in 44 countries. In 2012, the organization announced a name change from the Usability Professionals Association (UPA) to User Experience Professionals Association (UXPA) International.
According to the UXPA International website, organizational goals include:
- Provide an international network through which UX design professionals can share information about the techniques and methodologies in the profession.
- Create an inclusive community for those interested in UX design, whether as a primary focus or related discipline.
- Change new product development processes to include a concern for the people who use them by presenting the business case for UX in product development to colleagues, customers, the public and government agencies.
- Increase the body of knowledge about UX and user-centered design through professional education, meetings, conferences, and other related resources.
- 2018: June 26–28, Rio Mar, Puerto Rico, USA
- 2017: June 6–8, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
- 2016: May 31 - June 3, Seattle, Washington, USA
- 2015: Simplicity, June 22–25, Coronado, California, USA
- 2014: Motivation, July 21–24, London, UK
- 2013: Collaboration, July 9–12, Washington, DC, USA
- 2012: Leadership, June 4–8, Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
- 2011: Designing for Social Change, June 20–24, Atlanta, Georgia, USA
- 2010: Embracing Cultural Diversity: User Experience Design for the World, May 24–28, Munich, Germany
- 2009: Bringing Usability to Life, June 8–12, Portland, Oregon, USA
- 2008: The Many Faces of User Experience, June 16–20, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
- 2007: Patterns: Blueprints for Usability, June 11–15, Austin, Texas, USA
- 2006: Usability Through Storytelling, June 12–16, Denver, Colorado, USA
- 2005: Bridging Cultures, June 27 - July 1, Montréal, Québec, Canada
- 2004: Connecting Communities, June 7–11, Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
- 2003: Ubiquitous Usability, June 23–27, Scottsdale, Arizona, USA
- 2002: Humanizing Design, July 8–12, Orlando, Florida, USA
- 2001: Usability - A Winning Experience, June 25–29, Lake Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
- 2000: August 14–18, Asheville, North Carolina, USA
- 1999: June 29 - July 2, Scottsdale, Arizona, USA
- 1998: June 22–26, Washington, DC, USA
- 1997: August 13–15, Monterey, California, USA
- 1996: Portland, Maine, USA
- 1995: Copper Mountain, Colorado, USA
- 1994: Santa Clara, California, USA
- 1993: July 21–23, Redmond, Washington, USA
- 1992: Orem, Utah, USA
UXPA International publishes a magazine, a peer-reviewed journal, and a newsletter:
- User Experience Magazine (quarterly, online)
- Journal of Usability Studies (quarterly, online)
- UXPA Newsletter (monthly, email)