- Este læti. Et mirabiles. Bibite coffeam!
Hi, I'm AlisonW and though I worked in IT for most of my life I'm now mostly retired. In the past I worked in the entertainment world as a sound engineer, lighting designer, and tour manager. I used to be very active in and around the Westminster Bubble for the LibDems, for remaining in the EU, and in LGBT politics since the early 1980s, being one of the founders of the UK Chapter of the Lesbian Avengers and of the London Lesbian and Gay Centre (LLGC).
I live in Highgate and Markyate, have an MBA from the Open University Business School, drink a lot of strong black coffee, am polyamorous, and drive a Land Rover Freelander 2 car. I love Off-roading, especially on BOATs. As of 2022 I am now effectively retired from work.
My Wish for Wikipedia
Is that people would spend less time on seeking to delete articles or useful information on pages, and actually spend their time here *adding* to "the sum of all human knowledge". The Wikimedia Foundation and its allied Chapters fund this operation through thousands of individual donations, and editing the content in order to increase that record of knowledge is and will always be far more important than getting hung up on 'process' and 'policy'. The only policy that matters is to *add useful stuff*, so yes, I'm definitely an 'Inclusionist'.
I can do no better than to quote someone who wrote a comment on one of my blogs:
- "Deleting stuff is really stupid, there´s been a few times I've looked things up on wp, and it´s had ´marked for deletion´ pasted over it, I've felt lucky to get there and find the info I wanted before the vandals who run lurk there wiped it. Often I don´t need to know a lot of in depth detail so even a stub is enough to be really useful.
- "Probably a good many people who actually *use* the site find things out just want as much info as possible, so long as it´s accurate it doesn't matter if it´s not complete so long as the gaps are marked. Most people won´t have an account and don´t have time to get into a long argument with some troll who spends their life being negative rather than actually contributing content and filling in the gaps."
Another commenter had noted:
- "Then again, it may just be naivety on my part in assuming that an encyclopædia is about amassing as much knowledge as possible."
A note on editing
Because my account was one of those hacked in late 2016 I switched to the two-factor authentication on this account. Thing is, I don't always have the authenticator to hand when I want to do a quick one-off edit via my phone or tablet, so you'll often see them as IP-only edits instead. As I have fixed IP addresses I can verify that any edits associated with 188.8.131.52/28 are by me.
- with this account (Until 2006 I used a different account which also had 'admin powers')
|This is a Wikipedia user page.|
This is not an encyclopedia article or the talk page for an encyclopedia article. If you find this page on any site other than Wikipedia, you are viewing a mirror site. Be aware that the page may be outdated and that the user whom this page is about may have no personal affiliation with any site other than Wikipedia. The original page is located at
|This user is a member of the Association of Inclusionist Wikipedians.
The motto of the AIW is conservata veritate, which translates to "with the preserved truth".