|Developer(s)||Bruce Allen, Christian Franke, Guido Guenther|
|Initial release||October 2002|
6.6 / November 5, 2017
|Written in||C, C++|
|Operating system||Unix-like (Linux, Mac OS X, BSD, others) and Microsoft Windows|
|Type||Hard Disk utility|
Smartmontools (S.M.A.R.T. Monitoring Tools) is a set of utility programs (smartctl and smartd) to control and monitor computer storage systems using the Self-Monitoring, Analysis and Reporting Technology (S.M.A.R.T.) system built into most modern (P)ATA, Serial ATA, SCSI/SAS and NVMe hard drives.
Smartmontools displays early warning signs of hard drive problems detected by S.M.A.R.T., often giving notice of impending failure while it is still possible to back data up.
From late 2010 ATA Error Recovery Control configuration has been supported by Smartmontools, allowing it to configure many desktop-and laptop-class hard drives for use in a RAID array and vice versa.
smartctl and smartd have a command-line interface.
- GSmartControl is an open_source multi-platform graphical user interface (GUI) for smartctl developed by Alexander Shaduri.
- SMART Utility is a program for Mac OS X with a GUI based on smartmontools.
- HDD Guardian was an open-source Windows-only GUI for smartctl, discontinued on 28 April 2017. The author said that the program could still be downloaded from various sites, but that the entire HDD Guardian project (source code, builds and documentation) had been retired.
- "smartmontools wiki". Retrieved 2017-11-28.
- von Hagen, William; Jones, Brian K. (2005). "Hack 78: Avoid Catastrophic Disk Failure". Linux Server Hacks, Volume Two. O'Reilly Media, Inc. pp. 346–350. ISBN 978-0-596-10082-7. via Google Books
- Nemeth, Evi; Snyder, Garth; Hein, Trent R.; Whaley, Ben (2010). Unix and Linux System Administration Handbook. Pearson Education. p. 366.
- Allen, Bruce (2004-01-01). "Monitoring Hard Disks with SMART". Linux Journal. Retrieved 2010-07-26.
- Gregory, Richard. "Error recovery control with smartmontools". Liverpool University Department of Computer Science. Archived from the original on 2011-09-28. Retrieved 2013-11-26.
- Danen, Vincent (2010-03-30). "Using smartctl to get SMART status information on your hard drives". TechRepublic. Archived from the original on 2012-07-07. Retrieved 2010-07-26.
- "How S.M.A.R.T. are your disks?". LinuxInsight. 2009-02-08. Retrieved 2010-07-26.
- Frakes, Dan (2009-10-29). "SMART Utility Monitors Hard Drives' Health". PC World. Retrieved 2010-07-26.
- "HDD Guardian 0.7.1 (archived)". hddguardian.codeplex.com. 5 January 2017. Archived from the original on 8 January 2017. Retrieved 14 May 2017.
- "HDD Guardian - Home". hddguardian.codeplex.com. 28 April 2017. Archived from the original on 14 May 2017. Retrieved 14 May 2017.
|This free-software-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|