User:Brian Tomasik/Pages to create or improve
This is a list of pages that Brian Tomasik would like to see created, improved, or just refined.
- Creating a page means it doesn't already exist yet. (But you should double-check this yourself, since the page may have been created since I wrote this.)
- Improving a page means it's not currently in great shape.
- Refining a page means it's already good but could always use more information.
This list just scratches the surface of possibilities. There's basically no limit to places you can add important information (or clean up existing information). I'd recommend focusing on whatever topic you care a lot about and/or happen to be reading papers about, rather than writing an article just for the sake of writing an article.
Differential progress: I also recommend focusing on contributions in the realm of social science, ethics, humanities, or popular science rather than on technical details of fields like artificial intelligence. Highly technical contributions may accelerate the risks in addition to helping reduce the risks of disruptive technologies.
Niche articles: Vipul Naik recommends avoiding high-level pages that tend to be edited a lot and instead seeking more niche articles. Thus, when I recommend an article for refinement, I don't necessarily mean focusing on that article itself but rather the kinds of articles in its general neighborhood.
- 1 Insects
- 2 AI ethics
- 3 Animal welfare
- 4 Other tech ethics
- 5 Anthropics
- 6 International relations
- 7 Moral psychology
- 8 Influences on history
- 9 Philanthropy
- Ethics of artificial intelligence
- Recursive self-improvement
- Machine ethics
- Differential technological development
- Controlled-atmosphere killing: There's already a section about this, but it could be expanded to a full article. Here is a draft beginning such a page, but it needs inline citations for each sentence and many more references. Perhaps that draft should just be discarded and the article started from scratch.
- Animal ethics
- Animal euthanasia
- Humane Slaughter Act#Criticism of the HMSLA
- Welfare vs. abolition debates: Animal protectionism vs. Abolitionism (animal rights)
- Fish welfare at slaughter
- Pain in crustaceans
- Pain in fish
- Foie gras
- Islamic and Jewish slaughter
- Animal welfare
- Articles on any type of animal product
Other tech ethics
- Impact of nanotechnology
- Societal impact of nanotechnology
- The Transparent Society
- DARPA, IARPA, etc.
- Doomsday argument (including discussion of "universal doomsday" and the effect of multiple civilizations)
- Self-Indication Assumption Doomsday argument rebuttal
- Fermi paradox
- Democratic peace theory
- World government
- Any of these arms-control agreements
- Any good arms-control organizations (more)
- Potential superpowers (low pri)