User:Brion VIBBER/Maps and images for Wikipedia
These maps are based on public domain maps, and I'm providing them for the good of Wikipedia in any language that needs em. Yea verily etc etc.
Here I'm linking to the articles which contain the maps. I've also put up versions without text (in Photoshop, Gimp, and/or PNG formats) at http://leuksman.com/misc/maps.php, so if you want to adapt them for your own nefarious purposes (or just label in another language I haven't done yet), feel free to do so!
- European Union: en eo fr pl ja ro cy (needed: es, nl...)
- State maps for California counties showing county borders and location within the state. See hi-res source image.
Continents, with countries marked
- Europe: en eo de cy (needed: fr, ja, pl, es, nl...)
- Africa: eo de cy
- North America: eo cy
- South America: eo en de cy
- Asia: eo de cy
- Australia and Oceania (not finished yet)
- Antarctica (not done yet)
- Middle-east close up (not done yet)
Warning: I'm not putting all of the following in public domain (that is, I retain copyright unless I say otherwise), but you may use them freely in accordance with the GFDL.
- 35mm film: simulated image of a couple frames of 35mm motion picture film. Needs some adjustment; could use markings to indicate what's what. This is projection film with all the soundtracks put in; something with key numbers etc. as you get it from the camera (via the developer, that is) would be nice too. en eo
- Multicamera setup: overhead diagram of set with a couple of actors and four cameras. I put this one in the public domain; what are you gonna do, copy it? Ha!
- The United Nations building: I took this photo on a visit in 1996 (an overcast wintry day, unfortunately), and now release it to the public domain, at least at low resolution. ;) en eo
- The Eiffel Tower: I took this photo in 1997, and now release it to public domain. en fr
- Light meter - a photo of my light meter. GFDL.
- Circle of confusion - attempt at a diagram clarifying what this thang means. GFDL.
- Telecine - 3:2 pulldown visual demonstration. GFDL.
Scanned images from public domain sources
- Illustrations of North American birds from Citizen Bird (first printed 1897; using a 1907 edition)
- Hummingbird, Golden eagle, Goldfinch, Kingfisher
- (More to come... optionally I can put up higher-res copies as well; I'm scanning at 600dpi and scaling down. For a preview, see an online copy of the book with lower-quality scans. Caveat: these are black-and-white, no color. However they're quite nice, and much better than nothing.)
Not exactly maps or images, but I don't feel like creating another page just now. I've recorded a few language samples (in MP3 format; others can be made available instead [ogg?] if Wikipedia is concerned about license issues). The texts are public domain, and what the heck, so are my recordings. Enjoy!