I first discovered this fantastic resource in May 2005. Amazing how one can navigate unexpectedly from Clinical depression to Hairy ball theorem in 2 hours, perhaps one causes the other ... :-) This is the quick way to do it, but it's not the route I used!!
I have now discovered the Symbolist painter Odilon Redon and his fantastic early charcoal works, including the incredibly appropriate Cactus Man. Also, check out the utterly brilliant Spirit of the Forest - this leaves Munch for dead. Not to mention Julio González, cubist sculptor, a contemporary of Picasso, and his enigmatic Monsieur Cactus.
Some Words of Wisdom
|“||... An atheist is a man who has no invisible means of support. ...||”|
|“||... There are two rules for drinking whisky.
First, never take whisky without water, and second, never take water without whisky. ...
|“||... This is our land, this is our Scotland, these are our people, these are our men, our works, our women and children: can you beat it? ...||”|
Contributions and things to do
|Articles • Featured on DYK • Images|
|Articles for re-write / expansion / cleanup|
|Floors Castle • John MacLean • Mary Barbour • Mellerstain House • Peter Howson • Ray Winstone • Drummond Castle • Wilhelmina Barns-Graham • Ben Nicholson • Trevor Bell • Sandra Blow • David Bomberg • Beryl Cook • Jessica Dismorr • Alfred East • Stanhope Forbes • Terry Frost • Patrick Heron • Howard Hodgkin • Bill Brandt • Kevin Carter • Alfred Eisenstaedt • Peter Lanyon • Bob Law • Tom Phillips • Annie Leibovitz • Niko Pirosmanashvili • Jane Bown • Robert Capa • Larry Burrows • 1943 Naples post office bombing • Foulis Castle • Balvaird Castle • Drummond Castle • Braemar • Duns Castle • Stirling Castle • Hammerbeam roof • Rannoch Moor • Dunbar Castle • Castle Campbell|
The Wikipedia Signpost
Did you know...
- ... that the San Francisco Historic Trolley Festival featured streetcars from cities in Australia, Japan, Mexico, Russia, England, Germany, and Italy (pictured)?
- ... that manhua artist Xia Da's April Story was published in 2003 before she had even graduated college?
- ... that by approving selinexor, the FDA overruled a panel of independent experts that had voted 8–5 against the anti-cancer drug?
- ... that after John R. Allan died, seven complete and partly-finished unpublished novels were found in his effects?
- ... that librettist Gerhard Müller and composer Georg Katzer wrote Antigone oder die Stadt in East Germany, but it premiered at the Komische Oper Berlin only after reunification?
- ... that footage of Ann Peterson diving was the first 1968 Summer Olympics coverage to be aired by ABC in the eastern United States?
- ... that antelope grass can recover quickly after wildfires even in the middle of the dry season?
- ... that pilot Walter Anderson and observer John Mitchell were hit by communist fire but landed, rescued two pilots, and took off with Mitchell on the wing and his fingers plugging their leaking tank?
In the news
- At least 63 people are killed in a bombing at a wedding in Kabul, Afghanistan.
- All 233 people on board Ural Airlines Flight 178 (aircraft pictured) survive a crash following bird strikes in both engines of an Airbus A321.
- Typhoon Lekima impacts the Philippines, the Ryukyu Islands, Taiwan and East China, killing at least 80 people.
- At least 75 people are killed and more than 50 others injured in a fuel tanker truck explosion in Morogoro, Tanzania.
Tasks we can all help with
You can help improve the articles listed below! This list updates frequently, so check back here for more tasks to try. (See Wikipedia:Task Center for brief guides.)
Images of Scotland to make you smile
More words of wisdom
|“||... It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it. ...||”|
|“||... Every line of strength in American history is a line coloured with Scottish blood. ...||”|
|“||... Look to your consciences and remember that the theatre of the world is wider than the realm of England. ...||”|
|“||... We look to Scotland for all our ideas of civilisation. ...||”|
|“||... We all know that Prime Ministers are wedded to the truth, but like other wedded couples, they sometimes live apart. ...||”|
|“||... Minds are like parachutes. They only function when they are open. ...||”|
|“||... I am not young enough to know everything. ...||”|
|“||... Oh, what a tangled web we weave,
When first we practice to deceive. ...
|“||... God help England if she had no Scots to think for her. ...||”|
|“||... He who has provoked the lash of wit, cannot complain that he smarts from it. ...||”|
|“||... All political parties die at last of swallowing their own lies. ...||”|
- The secrets behind Thierry Henry's success are finally revealed
- The medical cause which leads people to give The finger
- The importance of the humble doughnut as an economic indicator
- How to become an FA Premier League football player, courtesy of Wikipedia
- Is this feline origin of the Question mark really true?
- Strange goings on at a New Zealand high school
Cactus.man's Committed Identity
Second Committed ID
Latest Committed ID
-----BEGIN PGP PUBLIC KEY BLOCK----- Version: GnuPG v1.4.7 (MingW32) mQGiBEaXahsRBACPn5Ueb7eN5GsCOsNBiu/JHKAlThXVKEx7v97Cei5TQ2ERxBAi DMfJY+7NJGlvo5ZR3I6+92+KYVDIzaD2fmoiB0UyRIqkgKPfTtTcZjRQCbwE5PTC 3KmME1pAgOrSHG6SEQ9GqXFh0t7hmUR7Z9Lt9itDvhr7GtsPEZsa2MEPJwCgqxvj uf83mi43dJMcllz7y52fzbUD/jEGkASjDUedqAR8Vlu43w9e1rfytAJvnoHdL2qi Q4c7XgLJ//c98+3xQdf01zP3upRLkxouy+7Olhdxiyuf9a5gNgXvXofB3yXpU0tp spchSRg9cCFmd7EGU/+0NSwBM32BlAQ4qVGcGsh6scNf4xfzY3J0tuMD6n15g0v8 HKa/A/9M2J7ZSPd+zYcS+WrmNor5MTIHEl7FtnNqMsHb592YQ5ztPvMI+4jxcS0W rUxy6NHG+Cl+r0KHawfCni9Wg143MtPnNcReG/3jNl4ukRCt0fgE8lUK5nV0GcLn GrCYBopedWOjdDBXl7hsOVaawXENH+hnhxqbw/htxGIV+vad9bQpQ2FjdHVzLm1h biA8Y2FjdHVzLm1hbi53cEBnb29nbGVtYWlsLmNvbT6IYAQTEQIAIAUCRpdqGwIb AwYLCQgHAwIEFQIIAwQWAgMBAh4BAheAAAoJEHqt1/o7PrHE7gYAnRD+8joME2RV /Ako83SzDhuPU1K9AJ9EvAIGjOQc7KX+t+Lw68eKe8qqFrkCDQRGl2obEAgAt66X zBJR/ZEnz5jam+8VhHgoHqtDs7PWwZyoRB6l72EPN9Lcy0xQl78cFF6s/xiOL/gG OR0CLGBh5t5ecbbCeYJXLt8m5FPv6oCQb9TuWuYvbnr2yKBlzQTfRG3OCRVhyall DiQ9WeAjTesSV6NkVlQwABCbLQYy7xXkASZ7rZHxea7hJrt6CM1m1oIwpVmR2InQ FS5CfFEHTltupfd2/XawXIEOeCCj0SbOzrdL7EhpAyr6mIoQr5LpadUECAD6jrTF EYZUv0oxciSSjnLHzcxKFryN4wEmFb9szL31g4MllzAbTNaF0xzk2wtiFwdB0A32 hV2BpKTsKUO+1TumfwADBQf/cw23L4blIfM2H4d3Vaz0lkJ+zBdqrHfLF4TCVHeq Neu3/tGtbtuhJe2msbMj1/uvS6KY/alUZvtmvCzoDvIyL7+zAXC37JRoVDJQJWqc klp8ZiXW+Dq2sgJSpUDM8GGbL1NEP54rpBT2hzoadU/R+6CFkO6iBG3dTKCqsTZk 0PrzbKI0an6gKed1k7trR3CMkEQRDvHQwYMi1lMyx/UQVy2+fT99sKaSdCCniLkf ld6SJ3vHzUCbYkycUx7b9D2Hr+NuJzMlrs/BgAXyBioxKUHwescgAAeFaDHnwAqs P2cOyAv3qktQfV8HtjYuav2h93ul6LGSAgjcQwsQT1E2uYhJBBgRAgAJBQJGl2ob AhsMAAoJEHqt1/o7PrHEP0cAn18gmj05cLxtt94C5LrJZu5N1ArmAKCF8lVl3Uv0 fv1VF+pZxgqnSX5OKg== =ABpU -----END PGP PUBLIC KEY BLOCK----- ---- ----|float=center}}
|I do not dual-license my work|
|I am against voluntary dual-licensing of Wikipedia contributions.|