I first discovered this fantastic resource in May 2005. Amazing how one can navigate unexpectedly from Clinical depression to Hairy ball theorem in 2 hours, perhaps one causes the other ... :-) This is the quick way to do it, but it's not the route I used!!
I have now discovered the Symbolist painter Odilon Redon and his fantastic early charcoal works, including the incredibly appropriate Cactus Man. Also, check out the utterly brilliant Spirit of the Forest - this leaves Munch for dead. Not to mention Julio González, cubist sculptor, a contemporary of Picasso, and his enigmatic Monsieur Cactus.
Some Words of Wisdom
|“||... An atheist is a man who has no invisible means of support. ...||”|
|“||... There are two rules for drinking whisky.
First, never take whisky without water, and second, never take water without whisky. ...
|“||... This is our land, this is our Scotland, these are our people, these are our men, our works, our women and children: can you beat it? ...||”|
Contributions and things to do
|Articles • Featured on DYK • Images|
|Articles for re-write / expansion / cleanup|
|Floors Castle • John MacLean • Mary Barbour • Mellerstain House • Peter Howson • Ray Winstone • Drummond Castle • Wilhelmina Barns-Graham • Ben Nicholson • Trevor Bell • Sandra Blow • David Bomberg • Beryl Cook • Jessica Dismorr • Alfred East • Stanhope Forbes • Terry Frost • Patrick Heron • Howard Hodgkin • Bill Brandt • Kevin Carter • Alfred Eisenstaedt • Peter Lanyon • Bob Law • Tom Phillips • Annie Leibovitz • Niko Pirosmanashvili • Jane Bown • Robert Capa • Larry Burrows • 1943 Naples post office bombing • Foulis Castle • Balvaird Castle • Drummond Castle • Braemar • Duns Castle • Stirling Castle • Hammerbeam roof • Rannoch Moor • Dunbar Castle • Castle Campbell|
The Wikipedia Signpost
Did you know...
- ... that American suffragists arrested for protesting at the White House later toured the country on the Prison Special while dressed in their prison uniforms (Lucy Branham pictured)?
- ... that on 20 January 1990, Sakina Aliyeva signed the first declaration of independence by a part of the Soviet Union, and announced it on Nakhichevan television?
- ... that the bite of the red-bellied black snake can result in necrosis, and has been known to require amputation of an affected finger?
- ... that Andrew Traynor received a Medal of Honor after escaping from Confederate guerrillas?
- ... that at the Battle of Blanchetaque, English longbowmen stood in a tidal river to engage French mercenary crossbowmen?
- ... that the surgeon Cuthbert Hilton Golding-Bird invented a dilator for use in tracheotomies?
- ... that Román Chalbaud's 1977 film El Pez que Fuma was inspired by stories from prostitutes at a brothel he used to frequent?
- ... that Gwen Grant Mellon, who co-founded a hospital for the poor in Haiti, was buried in a cardboard box?
In the news
- More than 70 people are killed and dozens of others are injured in an explosion at an oil pipeline near Tlahuelilpan, Mexico.
- Four months after the Swedish general election, the Riksdag re-elects incumbent Stefan Löfven (pictured) as Prime Minister.
- A car bombing at the General Santander National Police Academy in Bogotá, Colombia, kills twenty-one people.
- In Zimbabwe, eight people are killed amid protests over the government's increase in the price of fuel.
- Former Ivory Coast President Laurent Gbagbo is acquitted of crimes against humanity by the International Criminal Court.
Tasks we can all help with
You can help improve the articles listed below! This list updates frequently, so check back here for more tasks to try. (See Wikipedia:Task Center for brief guides.)
Images of Scotland to make you smile
More words of wisdom
|“||... It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it. ...||”|
|“||... Every line of strength in American history is a line coloured with Scottish blood. ...||”|
|“||... Look to your consciences and remember that the theatre of the world is wider than the realm of England. ...||”|
|“||... We look to Scotland for all our ideas of civilisation. ...||”|
|“||... We all know that Prime Ministers are wedded to the truth, but like other wedded couples, they sometimes live apart. ...||”|
|“||... Minds are like parachutes. They only function when they are open. ...||”|
|“||... I am not young enough to know everything. ...||”|
|“||... Oh, what a tangled web we weave,
When first we practice to deceive. ...
|“||... God help England if she had no Scots to think for her. ...||”|
|“||... He who has provoked the lash of wit, cannot complain that he smarts from it. ...||”|
|“||... All political parties die at last of swallowing their own lies. ...||”|
- The secrets behind Thierry Henry's success are finally revealed
- The medical cause which leads people to give The finger
- The importance of the humble doughnut as an economic indicator
- How to become an FA Premier League football player, courtesy of Wikipedia
- Is this feline origin of the Question mark really true?
- Strange goings on at a New Zealand high school
|I do not dual-license my work|
|I am against voluntary dual-licensing of Wikipedia contributions.|