Slice is the Australian name for a class of heavy cakes or desserts made in a tray and cut out into squarish slices. In the USA, slices are called dessert bars or bar cookies. Australian recipes may be baked or uncooked, and often include sweetened condensed milk or biscuit crumbs.
There are almost as many varieties as there are people cooking slice. The following varieties are commonly available at Australian bakeries and cafes.
- Chocolate caramel slice - has a biscuit base, caramel filling, and hard chocolate top layer
- Lemon slice - made from biscuit crumbs, condensed milk and lemons, with lemon icing
- Vanilla slice
- Hedgehog - made from biscuit crumbs, cocoa, butter and sugar, with chocolate icing
- Mars Bar slice - made from melted Mars Bars and rice bubbles
- Jelly slice - a three-layer variety with biscuit base, creamy centre and jelly topping
- Muesli slice - a laughable attempt at a 'healthy' slice, it contains the usual high butter and sugar content with oats, dried fruit and nuts
- [White Christmas]
Chocolate caramel slice from Exclusively Food
Hedgehog slice from Best Recipes
Lemon slice from Taste.com.au