I am a historian with an abiding interest in all things geographic. I contribute mostly graphics. Below are some of the articles to which I've made additions. For more maps, see my other webpage, www.radicalcartography.net.
Physical Geography: Earth, Elevation, Geoid, Endorheic, Drainage Basin, Tropical Cyclone, Lightning, List of world's largest lakes, List of islands by area, Horizon, Beaver Island (Lake Michigan), Antipodes
History of the Americas: Federal lands, Indian reservation, National Road, Adams-Onís Treaty, Republic of Indian Stream, Boston, History of Boston, Harvard, MBTA, BosWash, SanSan, Rail transport in the United States, Sturgeon Bay Ship Canal, Jefferson Territory, American Bison.
I've also uploaded some demographic maps of the contiguous U.S. which I think fix some of the problems of the official US Census maps. These address two major problems: 1, It's important to distinguish between two kinds of demographic distribution: population density (showing where people actually live), and sub-population as percent of total population (showing where one might expect political or cultural influence). It's impossible to show both of these metrics on one map. 2, showing information by county can lead to confusion and deception, especially for large counties like those around Los Angeles. Not only do county-based maps make no distinction between living in the city and living in the desert, but they can eliminate populations altogether, averaging a minority population over a huge area (showing population by county makes it look like almost no African-Americans live in LA! -- see this map).
See the new maps here:
- Image:New 2000 asian density.gif
- Image:New 2000 asian percent.gif -- compare to the (mislabeled) Asian "density" map from the National Atlas of the US
- Image:New 2000 black density.gif
- Image:New 2000 black percent.gif -- compare to the (mislabeled) Black "density" map from the National Atlas of the US
- Image:New 2000 hawaiian density.gif
- Image:New 2000 hawaiian percent.gif
- Image:New 2000 hispanic density.gif
- Image:New 2000 hispanic percent.gif
- Image:New 2000 indian density.gif
- Image:New 2000 indian percent.gif
- Image:New 2000 white density.gif
- Image:New 2000 white percent.gif -- compare to the (mislabeled) White "density" map from the National Atlas of the US
Have a suggestion of an article that could use some infographical help? Let me know!