|This is a Wikipedia user page.|
This is not an encyclopedia article. If you find this page on any site other than Wikipedia, you are viewing a mirror site. Be aware that the page may be outdated and that the user whom this page is about may have no personal affiliation with any site other than Wikipedia itself. The original page is located at
I'm Dan Hartung, a native and resident of Janesville, Wisconsin. For most of my career in computer consulting I lived in Evanston, Illinois, and briefly in New York City. After years of watching the growth of the Wikipedia from a very basic concordance to the essential reference work that it is quickly becoming, I decided to create my own account in November 2004. So far it's been a rewarding experience.
As of October 2005, I'm taking a bit of a break as I ramp up coding activity for a startup.
I've been online since the days of the BBS, and participated in the internet soon after the end of bang paths. I watched the web grow up from the inside! I was a well-known weblog author from 1999 to 2003 when family life intervened; my weblog was Lake Effect and is presently unavailable.
I have also been a very-long-term member of MetaFilter, one of the pre-eminent community weblogs. Although I had been exposed to Wikis long before, my first real experience with contributing to one was the MetaFilter Wiki, which serves as a FAQ.
I have an irregular weblog at stilicho.blogspot.com.
- I'm inclusionist by nature. Wikipedia isn't paper. But notability guidelines are generally good.
- I don't think recentism is a serious flaw.
- Categories help people find stuff. My category clutter limit is higher than others'.
- This is a hypertext encyclopedia. Link to things that are relevant. Why prevent users from exploring?
|edit this list - add to watchlist|
- Trial against the Bulgarian medics and a Palestinian doctor in Libya - a little-watched story; the article is decent but could use some knowledgeable polishing.
- Web 2.0 - I had to thoroughly rewrite this article due to a high fog index. It could still use expansion and improvement.
Pages I've Created
- Media Whores Online - the mysterious, MIA muckraking blogger
- Clint Hartung - I'm not related, always thought he should have an article
- Bettye LaVette - fascinating story, surprised no article
- James A. Baker (government attorney) - people were getting him confused with the "other" James Baker
- Philip Perry - every husband of the daughter of the VP who is also in government should have an article
- Miles Copeland, Jr. - another fascinating figure in US history, he was like the anti-Zelig
- McLane-Ocampo Treaty - fascinating what-if, we might have had a Mexico Canal today
- Nellie Y. McKay - namesake of the singer, fascinating story
After this DYK submission quality increased substantially; many are almost to good article status nowadays. Good for DYK and Wikipedia, but a lot more work!
Sweepstakes — McDonald's Monopoly — Saif al-Islam Qaddafi — Ayesha Qaddafi — Leyla Zana — Murray Waas — Radio and Television Correspondents' Association — Supercar (band) — Thrilladelphia Music Festival — Buckeye Steel Castings — James M. Brady — Taurid — Katharine Hamnett — Ben Domenech — Hugh Rodham — Salt (band) — American Boychoir School — American Folk Blues Festival — 37signals — Steve Wood of Microsoft — Shortlist Music Prize — New Pantheon Music Award — Ravinia Festival — Eric Volz — Linda Stein (artist) — Hilton family — Napoléon (1955 film) — Max Maxfield — Ursula Martinez — Ben Stevens — Thomas W. LaSorda — Jim Fitzgerald — Deletion (music industry) — Campbell Center for Historic Preservation Studies
Pages I've Modified
- Technology: Evan Williams Pyra Labs Blogger Matthew Haughey MetaFilter Jorn Barger Roger Schank Monkeyfilter
- Music: Bloc Party Ana Voog Michael Penn The Decemberists
- Music video
- Lyndon B. Johnson
- The Parker Pen Company
- Chandra Levy
- David Mamet
- Aral Sea
- Zury Rios Sosa
- Efraín Ríos Montt - I've bailed on a very silly edit war here
- Beloit College - I attended
- Muammar al-Qaddafi
- Mary Kay Letourneau
- Merchandise Mart
- Dick Morris
- Chicago Flood - I lived there then
- Green Zone
- Casino Royale
- Madison, Wisconsin
- Juan Cole/Temp
- Conestoga wagon
- National Socialist Party of America
- Roger Ebert
- Siskel & Ebert
- The Wall
- Battle of the Bulge
- Channel Tunnel
- Sonny Bono Copyright Term Extension Act
- Air traffic controller - complete rewrite from heavily POV glurge
- Dimebag Darrell
- Rio Treaty - redirect and rework of base article
- Alexander "Sawney" Bean - merge w/ Sawney Beane
- Underground Railroad
- military cadence - jody calls
- Two Sicilies
- Nunn-Lugar Cooperative Threat Reduction
- Underground Railroad - key improvements for an important (sloppy) article
- Mason-Dixon line
- John Sasso
- Juan Cole
- First Indochina War
- Christmas truce
- Puerto Rican Independence Movement
- T-2 mycotoxin - yellow rain (cf. Yushchenko poisoning)
- President of the Palestinian Authority
- Nguyen Van Lem - removed stench of POV
- Elecia Battle
- Black History in Puerto Rico - saving a bad article
- Mexican Standoff
- Fists of Righteous Harmony
- El Dorado (myth)
- Guardia Nacional (Nicaragua) - improved from dumb Gardia [sic] substub
- Virginia opossum - merged in text from opossum
- 1992 Los Angeles riots