User:DroidEngineer/Open Design Strategies
standard ODS logo
|B. Gian James|
The organization was founded in December 2011 by B. Gian James and Taylor Fraley as a Non-profit Corporation 501(c)(3) dedicated to the research and improvement of open source on-line interactivity services.
The current president is B. Gian James.
Open Source Licensing
ODS subscribes to and was founded upon the principles of open source, community-driven software development. All of their supported projects are open source licensed under the CDDL license.
Open Design Strategies' founding members had been working together and writing open source software for over a decade before the codification of their association and subsequent umbrella copyright coverage of their produced software. Formed in November 2011 and achieving Non-profit Corporation status in December 2011, ODS has operated principally out of Erie, CO, USA, a town just outside of Boulder, CO.
Open Design Strategies has initiated, subsidized, or sponsored the research and development of several open source projects. The most noteworthy are mentioned below.
Government Sanctioned Espionage RPG
One of their flagship open source projects, Government Sanctioned is described as:
Government Sanctioned is an online, text-based espionage RPG (similar to a MUD/MOO) that takes place against the backdrop of a highly-secretive U.S. Government agency whose stated goals don't always match the dirty work the agents tend to find themselves in.
- over 15 starting professions
- over 35 skill families with 50+ skills
- 19 feat trees with 100+ feats
- many factions to explore
- thoroughly integrated crafting, player-ran economics, legal system, real-estate
- 100+ weapons with even more gear and gadget system all player creatable
- smarter NPCs with Dynamic Reputation System
- Falcon game scripting engine for dynamically built world objects and behaviors
- wiki with complete RPG math and Decision/Game Theory behind game mechanics and balancing, Game Design Documents, and more being added daily
- custom MUSHClient software
The project is claimed to be 55% complete at the time of this writing and, when available, the game server connection address is: mud.government-sanctioned.us:23232
JIRA Issue Management http://jira.government-sanctioned.us:8080/browse/GOVT
Community Forums http://forums.government-sanctioned.us/
Open Source Project Page http://govtsanct.codeplex.com/
SVN Repository https://govtsanct.svn.codeplex.com/svn/trunk
The μnix Workstation and OS
Battle Droids: Network AVR Combat!
OpenHousewares Intelligent Home Automation
The current Open Design Strategies board is :
- Open Source Definition
- Comparison of open source and closed source
- Open source governance - use of open source principles to transform human social governance
- Open source movement- The evolution and evidence of the open source ideology