Much has been made of the heat wave in Europe in early August 2003, which killed 35,000 people, with 2,000 deaths in the UK.9 Yet, each year more than 25,000 people die in the UK from cold.10 It can be estimated that every year more than 200,000 people die from excess heat in Europe.11 It is reasonable to estimate that each year about 1.5 million people die from excess cold in Europe.12 This is more than seven times the total number of heat deaths.13 Just in this millennium Europe have lost more than 10 million people to the cold, 300 times the iconic 35,000 heat deaths from 2003. That we so easily forget these deaths and so easily embrace the exclusive worry about global warming tells us of a breakdown in our sense of proportion.
- 6 (Ereaut & Segnit, 2006:7).
- 7 http://www.climatecrisis.net/aboutthefilm/, accessed on March 17 2007.
- 8 (Ebi, Mills, Smith, & Grambsch, 2006), see also (Basu & Samet, 2002; McMichael, Woodruff, & Hales, 2006) which
only talks about heat related deaths.
- 9 E.g. (Gore & Melcher Media, 2006:74-75).
- 10 (BBC Annon., 2006)
- 11 207,000; based on a simple average of the available cold and heat deaths per million, cautiously excluding London
from (Keatinge et al., 2000:672), and using WHO’s estimate for Europe’s population at 878m (WHO, 2004:121).
- 12 1.48 million estimated in the same way as total heat deaths.
- 13 It is about 15% of the total death toll from Europe, (9.56m deaths, (WHO, 2004:121)).
My motive for this user subpage is not to argue that Lomborg is right, but that his views should be compared with the views of other scientists. Again, not with any thought of saying he represents the majority; just that he is one scientist (and published author) who makes this claim.
hmmm... Mr Lomborg isn't a scientist, he has studied political science and worked in that field for most of his life. I'm not saying that this makes hi opinions worthless, however you may want to shy away from grouping him with the actual scientists who have spent their whole career researching the Earth's climate 18.104.22.168 (talk) 12:19, 5 September 2008 (UTC)