|This is a Wikipedia user page.
This is not an encyclopedia article. If you find this page on any site other than Wikipedia, you are viewing a mirror site. Be aware that the page may be outdated and that the user to whom this page belongs may have no personal affiliation with any site other than Wikipedia itself. The original page is located at
|Formation||1 July 1988|
|Purpose||Help and advice for disabled people|
|Selby and district, North Yorkshire, England|
|Services||Welfare rights advice, form filling, benefit checks, signposting, short-term wheelchair hire, activities group, support group, disability awareness|
Selby and District DIAL is an independent charity which offers help and advice to people with disabilities, caregivers, family and concerned professionals. Its remit covers the Selby district of North Yorkshire in England.
Selby and District DIAL was founded on 1 July 1988 and opened after volunteer training around May 1989. Its registered charity number is 1058185.
Originally named Selby and District Disability Information and Advice Line (D.I.A.L.), the charity at first operated only as a part-time telephone helpline, staffed entirely by volunteers.
In September 2010 the charity received a major five-year funding boost from the Big Lottery Fund. This funding enabled Selby and District DIAL to move into new premises at 12 Park Street in the centre of Selby, take on paid staff, and expand its services to include welfare rights advice, form-filling, benefit checks, representation at tribunal, home visits, outreach sessions, activity and support groups, signposting to other agencies, information, and short-term wheelchair hire.
In January 2018, two years after their Big Lottery money ran out, it was announced that due to a lack of funding, Selby and District DIAL would have to close by the end of March 2018. The service would instead become a project of Age UK Selby District, operating a part-time telephone help line, with form-filling being carried out over the phone rather than face-to-face. Due to Age UK's constitution, the service would also only be able to help clients aged fifty years or over. The future of its Disability Awareness project, which it ran in local schools and would require a new home, was uncertain at this point.
- Harris, Richard (24 December 2009). "Cash crisis at Selby charity Disability and Information Advice Line". The Press (York). York. Archived from the original on 2015-10-15. Retrieved 2015-10-15.
- Staff (21 January 2010). "Stay of execution for Disability and Information Advice Line in Selby". The Press (York). York. Archived from the original on 2015-10-15. Retrieved 2015-10-15.
- Staff (15 May 2010). "Selby and District DIAL charity for disabled saved by lottery cash". The Press (York). York. Archived from the original on 2015-10-15. Retrieved 2015-10-15.
- Staff. "Selby and District DIAL: Help and Advice to Disabled People". Archived from the original on 9 August 2017. Retrieved 2015-10-15.
- Staff. "1058185 - SELBY AND DISTRICT D I A L". Charity Commission for England and Wales. Retrieved 2015-10-15.
- Staff (18 May 2010). "DIAL 'L' for Lottery as BIG grants come to Selby". Big Lottery Fund. Archived from the original on 2015-10-15. Retrieved 2015-10-15.
- Hillback, Ryan (25 January 2018). "Can you help Selby DIAL?". Selby Times. Selby: Chronicle Publications Ltd. p. 8.