On Wikipedia and sister projects
I have been active on the English and Danish versions of Wikipedia, with the first English Wikipedia entry August 23 2002 and the first Danish February 11 2002.
Among the articles I have added to are non-negative matrix factorization, ratio distribution, intraclass correlation, Niels A. Lassen, John Lykoudis and 5-HTTLPR. My English edits have usually been related to my work. On the Danish Wikipedia I usually write articles that are not related to my work. I also take photos for Wikimedia Commons. Most photos have been of Copenhagen and suburbs.
I am a member of Wikimedia Denmark, and presently is a member of the board. I have been at Wikimania in Alexandria, Gdansk and London.
On the Toolserver I had a online visualization service called revvis. Enabled for the Danish Wikipedia, it shows the sequential collaboration network for a Wikipedia article.
The most recent Toolforge tools are Scholia, Wembedder, CVRminer and Ordia.
Research on Wikipedia
I participated in WikiSym 2006 in Odense and had a short talk in the workshop about Wikipedia research organized by Jakob Voß and Angela Beesley. The slides used for the presentation are available from the department archive: Non-negative matrix factorization decomposed a article-by-author data matrix for identification of clusters of authors and articles.
Scientific citations in Wikipedia
In 2007 I looked at the outbound citations from Wikipedia (using Template:Cite journal) to scientific journals. Nature and Science were the most cited. I compared the number of citations with citation information from Journal Citation Reports of Thomson Scientific, and the correlation between the two sets of values was not bad, e.g., when a scientific journal had many citations it tended to also have many Wikipedia citations. An updated scatter plot for the July 2007 database dump is available .
I also tried to cluster scientific journals and Wikipedia articles and made a longitudinal comparison of the citation information. This is described in Clustering of scientific citations in Wikipedia.
Wiki for representing and computing with scientific data
I am experimenting with representing scientific data in a wiki-like environment. My first attempt was a spreadsheet link online service for personality genetics. It is available from:
I now mostly work with the "Brede Wiki".
This MediaWiki-based wiki can represent spreadsheet-like data and meta-analysis is presently performed with an online script.
Review of Wikipedia research
Since 2008 I have been writing a review on Wiki and Wikipedia research entitled Wikipedia research and tools: Review and comments. I now collaborate with fellow researchers (Chitu Okoli and others) on the Internet to summarize and review Wikipedia research. We presently have a long working paper entitled The people's encyclopedia under the gaze of the sages: a systematic review of scholarly research on Wikipedia, see at http://ssrn.com/abstract=2021326 . We maintain the data for the review on a Semantic MediaWiki at http://wikilit.referata.com. The setup of this wiki was inspired by WikiPapers (http://wikipapers.referata.com) at and my Brede Wiki.
I have also written a popular science overview of Wikipedia research in Danish: Wikipedia - nørdernes sejr over vandalerne?.
I maintain blogs where I sometimes write posts relating to Wikipedia. These may be opinionated or related to my work. I was originally writing from Posterous, but as this is closed down Wikipedia posts from my blogs can be found here:
- http://fnielsen.tumblr.com/tagged/wikipedia (nothing here yet)
Examples of blog posts are:
- Hunting down the undead ghost of classical conductor George Richter — the story about an article about a conductor that I added to Wikipedia, but later was deleted as it turned out that he was ficticious.
- Sentiment analysis of Wikipedia pages on Danish politicians.
- "Blaming" tools:
- User edit counting:
- Overall statistics:
- User:fnielsen/Book:Music, example book
Conflict of Interest Statement
I am working or have been employed by:
I have received grants from:
- The Lundbeck foundation, - partial owner of Lundbeck.
- Villum Foundation associated with VELUX.
- Danish Research Councils.
- American research councils.
I received gifts associated with:
- Religion in communism in Sub-Saharan Africa in the 1960s. A podcast refered humorously to this page.
List of publications
- "Scholia - March 2017". Zenodo. 2017-03-13. doi:10.5281/ZENODO.376859.
- "Scholia and scientometrics with Wikidata" (PDF). arXiv. 2017-03-13.
- "Excavating the mother lode of human-generated text: A systematic review of research that uses the wikipedia corpus". Information Processing & Management. 53 (2): 505–529. 2017-03-01. doi:10.1016/J.IPM.2016.07.003.
- "Literature, Geolocation and Wikidata" (PDF). Wiki: Papers from the 2016 ICWSM Workshop. 2016-05-01.
- "Literature, Geolocation and Wikidata" (PDF). Wiki: Papers from the 2016 ICWSM Workshop. 2016-05-01.
- "Literature, Geolocation and Wikidata". Wiki: Papers from the 2016 ICWSM Workshop. 2016-05-01.
- "The Center for Integrated Molecular Brain Imaging (Cimbi) database". NeuroImage. 124 (Pt B): 1213–1219. 2016-01-01. doi:10.1016/J.NEUROIMAGE.2015.04.025.
- "Collective remembering of organizations: Co-construction of organizational pasts in Wikipedia". Corporate Communications. 20 (4): 431–447. 2015-10-05. doi:10.1108/CCIJ-09-2014-0059.
- "Strategies of Legitimacy Through Social Media: The Networked Strategy". Journal of Management Studies. 53 (3): 402–432. 2015-08-06. doi:10.1111/JOMS.12145.
- ""The sum of all human knowledge": A systematic review of scholarly research on the content of Wikipedia". Journal of the Association for Information Science and Technology. 66 (2): 219–245. 2015-02-01. doi:10.1002/ASI.23172.
- "Online open neuroimaging mass meta-analysis with a wiki". The Semantic Web: ESWC 2012 Satellite Events: 259–271. 2015-01-01. doi:10.1007/978-3-662-46641-4_19.
- "Wikipedia in the eyes of its beholders: A systematic review of scholarly research on Wikipedia readers and readership". Journal of the Association for Information Science and Technology. 65 (12): 2381–2403. 2014-07-08. doi:10.1002/ASI.23162.
- "Action and language mechanisms in the brain: data, models and neuroinformatics". Neuroinformatics. 12 (1): 209–225. 2014-01-01. doi:10.1007/S12021-013-9210-5.
- "Brede tools and federating online neuroinformatics databases". Neuroinformatics. 12 (1): 27–37. 2014-01-01. doi:10.1007/S12021-013-9183-4.
- "The People's Encyclopedia Under the Gaze of the Sages: A Systematic Review of Scholarly Research on Wikipedia". Social Science Research Network. 2012-03-17. doi:10.2139/SSRN.2021326.
- "Wikipedia research and tools: review and comments". 2012-02-06. doi:10.2139/SSRN.2129874. Cite journal requires
- "A New ANEW: Evaluation of a Word List for Sentiment Analysis in Microblogs" (PDF). Proceedings of the ESWC2011 Workshop on 'Making Sense of Microposts': Big things come in small packages: 93–98. 2011-05-01.
- "Serotonin transporter binding in the hypothalamus correlates negatively with tonic heat pain ratings in healthy subjects: a [11C]DASB PET study". NeuroImage. 54 (2): 1336–1343. 2011-01-15. doi:10.1016/J.NEUROIMAGE.2010.09.010.
- "Good Friends, Bad News - Affect and Virality in Twitter". Future Information Technology. 185: 34–43. 2011-01-01. doi:10.1007/978-3-642-22309-9_5.
- "Endogenous plasma estradiol in healthy men is positively correlated with cerebral cortical serotonin 2A receptor binding". Psychoneuroendocrinology. 35 (9): 1311–1320. 2010-10-01. doi:10.1016/J.PSYNEUEN.2010.03.002.
- "Seasonal changes in brain serotonin transporter binding in short serotonin transporter linked polymorphic region-allele carriers but not in long-allele homozygotes". Biological Psychiatry. 67 (11): 1033–1039. 2010-06-01. doi:10.1016/J.BIOPSYCH.2009.11.027.
- "A nonlinear relationship between cerebral serotonin transporter and 5-HT(2A) receptor binding: an in vivo molecular imaging study in humans" (PDF). Journal of Neuroscience. 30 (9): 3391–3397. 2010-03-03. doi:10.1523/JNEUROSCI.2852-09.2010.
- "A fielded wiki for personality genetics". Proceedings of the 6th International Symposium on Wikis and Open Collaboration. 2010-01-01.
- "BredeQuery: Coordinate-Based Meta-analytic Search of Neuroscientific Literature from the SPM Environment". Biomedical Engineering Systems and Technologies: 314–324. 2010-01-01. doi:10.1007/978-3-642-11721-3_24.
- "Lost in localization: a solution with neuroinformatics 2.0?". NeuroImage. 48 (1): 11–3. 2009-10-15. doi:10.1016/J.NEUROIMAGE.2009.05.073.
- "Visualizing data mining results with the Brede tools". Frontiers in Neuroinformatics. 3. 2009-07-28. doi:10.3389/NEURO.11.026.2009.
- "The personality trait openness is related to cerebral 5-HTT levels". NeuroImage. 45 (2): 280–285. 2009-04-01. doi:10.1016/J.NEUROIMAGE.2008.12.001.
- "Brede Wiki: A neuroinformatics Web service with structured information". Frontiers in Neuroinformatics. 2009-01-01. doi:10.3389/CONF.NEURO.11.2009.08.072.
- "Frontolimbic serotonin 2A receptor binding in healthy subjects is associated with personality risk factors for affective disorder". Biological Psychiatry. 63 (6): 569–576. 2008-03-15. doi:10.1016/J.BIOPSYCH.2007.07.009.
- "Clustering of scientific citations in Wikipedia" (PDF). 2008-01-01. Cite journal requires
- "Scientific citations in Wikipedia". First Monday. 12 (8). 2007-08-01. doi:10.5210/FM.V12I8.1997.
- "Cerebral 5-HT2A receptor binding is increased in patients with Tourette's syndrome" (PDF). The International Journal of Neuropsychopharmacology. 10 (2): 245–252. 2007-04-01. doi:10.1017/S1461145706006559.
- "Similar brain networks for detecting visuo-motor and visuo-proprioceptive synchrony". NeuroImage. 31 (1): 308–312. 2006-05-15. doi:10.1016/J.NEUROIMAGE.2005.11.037.
- "fMRI neuroinformatics". IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Magazine. 25 (2): 112–119. 2006-03-01. doi:10.1109/MEMB.2006.1607675.
- "Mining the posterior cingulate: segregation between memory and pain components". NeuroImage. 27 (3): 520–532. 2005-09-01. doi:10.1016/J.NEUROIMAGE.2005.04.034.
- "Right temporoparietal cortex activation during visuo-proprioceptive conflict". Cerebral Cortex. 15 (2): 166–169. 2005-02-01. doi:10.1093/CERCOR/BHH119.
- "Right temporoparietal cortex activation during visuo-proprioceptive conflict" (PDF). Cerebral Cortex. 15 (2): 166–169. 2005-02-01. doi:10.1093/CERCOR/BHH119.
- "Mass meta-analysis in Talairach space" (PDF). Proceedings of the 17th International Conference on Neural Information Processing Systems: 985–992. 2004-11-01.
- "Finding related functional neuroimaging volumes". Artificial Intelligence in Medicine. 30 (2): 141–151. 2004-02-01. doi:10.1016/S0933-3657(03)00041-1.
- "Mining for associations between text and brain activation in a functional neuroimaging database". Neuroinformatics. 2 (4): 369–380. 2004-01-01. doi:10.1385/NI:2:4:369.
- "Exploring fMRI data for periodic signal components". Artificial Intelligence in Medicine. 25 (1): 35–44. 2002-05-01. doi:10.1016/S0933-3657(02)00007-6.
- "Modeling of activation data in the BrainMap database: detection of outliers". Human Brain Mapping. 15 (3): 146–156. 2002-03-01. doi:10.1002/HBM.10012.
- "Cluster analysis of activity-time series in motor learning". Human Brain Mapping. 15 (3): 135–145. 2002-03-01. doi:10.1002/HBM.10015.
- "Neuroinformatics in Functional Neuroimaging" (PDF). 2002-01-01. Cite journal requires
- "Cluster analysis of activity-time series in motor learning". Human Brain Mapping. 15 (3): 135–145. 2001-12-27. doi:10.1002/HBM.10015.
- "Extracting collective probabilistic forecasts from web games". Proceedings of the seventh ACM SIGKDD international conference on Knowledge discovery and data mining: 174–183. 2001-08-01. doi:10.1145/502512.502537.
- "Consensus inference in neuroimaging". NeuroImage. 13 (6 Pt 1): 1212–1218. 2001-06-01. doi:10.1006/NIMG.2000.0718.
- "Persistence of Web References in Scientific Research". Computer. 34 (3): 26–31. 2001-03-01. doi:10.1109/2.901164.
- "The real power of artificial markets". Science. 291 (5506): 987–988. 2001-02-09. doi:10.1126/SCIENCE.291.5506.987.
- "Modeling the haemodynamic response in fMRI using smooth FIR filters". IEEE Transactions on Medical Imaging. 19 (12): 1188–1201. 2000-12-01. doi:10.1109/42.897811.
- "Modeling text with generalizable Gaussian mixtures". Proceedings of the 2000 IEEE International Conference on Acoustics, Speech, and Signal Processing. 2000-06-01. doi:10.1109/ICASSP.2000.860154.
- "Persistence of information on the web: analyzing citations contained in research articles". Proceedings of the ninth international conference on Information and knowledge management: 235–242. 2000-01-01. doi:10.1145/354756.354824.
- "Plurality and resemblance in fMRI data analysis". NeuroImage. 10 (3 Pt 1): 282–303. 1999-09-01. doi:10.1006/NIMG.1999.0472.
- "Generalizable patterns in neuroimaging: how many principal components?". NeuroImage. 9 (5): 534–544. 1999-05-01. doi:10.1006/NIMG.1998.0425.
- "On clustering fMRI time series". NeuroImage. 9 (3): 298–310. 1999-03-01. doi:10.1006/NIMG.1998.0391.
- "Interactive information visualization in neuroimaging". Proceedings of the 1997 workshop on New paradigms in information visualization and manipulation: 62–65. 1997-01-01. doi:10.1145/275519.275533.