(Most of this info is out of date. Perhaps I will update it some day.)
My name is Garrett Albright. I originally hail from, and am currently living in, the small city of Fortuna, California, USA. I have also lived in Nagoya, Aichi, Japan, where I taught English as a foreign language to children and adults, and in Rohnert Park, California, where I attended Sonoma State University.
My interests are languages (I speak some Spanish and am learning Japanese), American animation (and some anime, though a great deal of it is vastly overrated), computer programming (mostly in PHP) and web site design, food and cooking, conservatism and libertarianism (to an extent), and video games.
I think Wikipedia is, of every web site ever created, the one which most exemplifies the potential of the internet. It's a massive, easily-accessible source of free information which is easy to contribute to if you can improve things, whether starting a new article on a sorely-needed topic or simply correcting typos (which I do quite a bit of). Wikipedia is the greatest web site ever, and is usually my first source of information whenever I want to learn anything new.
I am a meta:Mergist. I think that information on The Simpsons characters should be on the The Simpsons page, or at most on a List of characters from The Simpsons page; having one page for every single character from this show is idiotic. Nor do we need an article for every episode.
Pages I have made substantial contributions to
- Para Para, the modern Japanese dance.
- Destino (original contributor!), the cartoon co-created by Walt Disney and Salvador Dalí.
- Traditional animation (original contributor!), the oldest and most popular form of animation.
- FLCL, the high-energy Japanese animated series and comic.
- Tag (original contributor!), the simple sport often played by children.
- Linguicism (original contributor... but stubby and kinda crappy), the word for prejudice based on language.
- Tank man (original contributor!), AKA Wang Weilin, the names ascribed to the protester photographed standing before a line of tanks during the Tiananmen Square protest of 1989.
- Sonoma State University (original contributor!), my alma mater. A California State University.
- Craig McCracken (original contributor!), the animator and creator of The Powerpuff Girls and Foster's Home
- Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends (see above)
- Company town (original contributor!), a town which is entirely owned by a company
- Mac gaming (original contributor!), games for the rest of us.
Images I've contributed
How transparent cels create a composite image in traditional animation.