Some of my favorites, all of them related (possibly indirectly) to articles I've worked on:
- Use of adjectives as nouns: "eat more dairy products" not "eat more dairy" (Consuming a shed is a recipe for indigestion.)
- Misuse of dashes and hyphens, i.e.:
- emdash ( — ) only ever used as parentheses, either with or without spaces, according to style and preference, i.e.: Sdgdf sdasfasag — bvbnnbsngn jfdgjdj hfhsf agdfgf — fgagfga fasdfasdf or; Sdgdf sdasfasag—bvbnnbsngn jfdgjdj hfhsf agdfgf—fgagfga fasdfasdf.
- endash ( – ) used in ranges, such as "10–20" years. Now sometimes used as parentheses, usually with spaces, i.e. Sdgdf sdasfasag – bvbnnbsngn jfdgjdj hfhsf agdfgf – fgagfga fasdfasdf.
- hyphen ( - ), which should only ever be used both to join two words, without spaces, e.g. Hobson-Jobson. (See also en dash versus em dash.)
- The qualifier "in the southern hemisphere", which is popular with some of my fellow Australians; do people who use this have any idea what goes on in South America or southern Africa?
- The Wayback Machine — a huge web archive, which contains lots of dead pages. It's a great way of getting hold of those useful but fly-by-night web articles.
Tasks we can all do
You can help improve the articles listed below! This list updates frequently, so check back here for more tasks to try. (See Wikipedia:Task Center for brief guides.)
Areas of interest
History and historiography
- World War II
- Military aviation
Colonialism and Imperialism
- Australian Rules Football
- football (soccer)
- football (word)
- Gaelic football
- International rules football
- rugby football
- American football
|Pacific Theatre, 1941-45 Barnstar|
|For superlative work on meticulously organizing the New Guinea campaign and associated campaignbox. Cla68 06:57, 18 December 2006 (UTC)|
|The Australian Barnstar of National Merit|
|for your efforts with Australian articles Gnangarra 00:11, 26 January 2008 (UTC)|