This user has administrator privileges on Wikimedia Commons.
This user has administrator privileges on the English Wikipedia.

User talk:Nick

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
  (Redirected from User:Heligoland)
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Nick is busy in real life and may not respond swiftly to queries. Please use e-mail to make contact urgently if you need to do so.



University of Dundee - geograph.org.uk - 10358.jpg
Sir Ian Wood Building (B&W).jpg
Lanyon Building, Queen's University, Belfast.jpg

Administrators' newsletter – January 2018[edit]

News and updates for administrators from the past month (December 2017).

ANEWSicon.png

Administrator changes

added Muboshgu
readded AnetodeLaser brainWorm That Turned
removed None

Bureaucrat changes

readded Worm That Turned

Guideline and policy news

  • A request for comment is in progress to determine whether the administrator policy should be amended to require disclosure of paid editing activity at WP:RFA and to prohibit the use of administrative tools as part of paid editing activity, with certain exceptions.

Technical news

Arbitration


Sent by MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 02:37, 3 January 2018 (UTC)

Nomination for merging of Template:Infobox UK school[edit]

Template:Infobox UK school has been nominated for merging with Template:Infobox school. You are invited to comment on the discussion at the template's entry on the Templates for discussion page. Thank you. Steven (Editor) (talk) 19:21, 9 January 2018 (UTC)

Administrators' newsletter – February 2018[edit]

News and updates for administrators from the past month (January 2018).

ANEWSicon.png

Administrator changes

added None
removed BlurpeaceDana boomerDeltabeignetDenelson83GrandioseSalvidrim!Ymblanter

Guideline and policy news

  • An RfC has closed with a consensus that candidates at WP:RFA must disclose whether they have ever edited for pay and that administrators may never use administrative tools as part of any paid editing activity, except when they are acting as a Wikipedian-in-Residence or when the payment is made by the Wikimedia Foundation or an affiliate of the WMF.
  • Editors responding to threats of harm can now contact the Wikimedia Foundation's emergency address by using Special:EmailUser/Emergency. If you don't have email enabled on Wikipedia, directly contacting the emergency address using your own email client remains an option.

Technical news

  • A tag will now be automatically applied to edits that blank a page, turn a page into a redirect, remove/replace almost all content in a page, undo an edit, or rollback an edit. These edits were previously denoted solely by automatic edit summaries.

Arbitration


Sent by MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 00:52, 4 February 2018 (UTC)

About your comment at WP:AN[edit]

I did not want to comment about this at the AN post, because it would distract away from the main discussion. With all due respect, Nick, I did not think your comment here about me was entirely fair. Were you aware the condition in which I assigned the page mover right to this editor (back in September 2017)? I don't think so. Were you aware the discussion (back in October 2017) I had with SMcCandlish about improving the scrutinizing process of page mover rights? I don't think so either. Having been the most active administrator at WP:PERM for the last 7 months, there is bound to be one or two editors who turns out to be problematic. That's why we have revocation criteria like WP:PMRR laid out, so any administrator can revoke the user right when the the situation is called for, which is what we have here.

I am always open to constructive criticism, but before you "caution" any other editor for what you assume to be carelessness, I would like to think it's perhaps the better practice to have all the facts at your disposal prior to making such comment. I hope you can understand my perspective here. Regards, Alex Shih (talk) 22:19, 19 February 2018 (UTC)

I can attest that the process for granting page-mover has been significantly tightened; I've been watching it closely. While several "move warriors" and anti-MoS types were granted this bit when it was new (and surprisingly haven't quite abused it, that I know of) this has not happened in quite some time, and Alex Shih is correct that PMRR anticipates that a few people will get the bit (for which the bar is not all that high) but need to have it removed later when they prove unsuited to the task and its restraints.  — SMcCandlish ¢ 😼  00:06, 20 February 2018 (UTC)
I consider the comment I made about your behaviour at WP:PERM to be a fair and accurate reflection of your PERM processing. If you had done a proper background check of Zawl (previously TheMagnificentist) you would most certainly have arrived at the conclusion that it was not an appropriate permission to grant to this user. Nick (talk) 08:28, 20 February 2018 (UTC)

Account creation block[edit]

Hi Nick, sorry to bother you. I wondered if you would mind lifting the block on the IP address here (account creation from this IP address (85.115.53.202) was blocked by Nick, who gave the reason {{anonblock}} <!-- Likely a school based on behavioral evidence -->.)

Firstly, this is an IP address used by the National Archives here in the UK, we're shortly going to be hosting an editathon (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:GLAM/The_National_Archives/Events/Dissidents,_Suffragists_and_Freedom_Fighters) and I'd really appreciate being able to sign up new editors. I'm also a little curious whether it is really policy to block schools in a blanket way. I'm no admin so I have no idea of the scale of vandalism you are managing but that's pretty depressing. Where are the next generation of editors to come from? --Mr impossible (talk) 11:13, 20 February 2018 (UTC)

I'm the latest in a long line of administrators who have blocked editing from this IP address - it has been blocked pretty much continually since November 2016 with four previous (and virtually consecutive) blocks all with account creation disabled (see the block log). I note the editing event is on the 28th April, how certain are you that the IP address will be assigned to the National Archives at that time ? I've no objection to unblocking the IP address for the day of the event, but given the history of spam, vandalism, triggering edit filters and such, I won't unblock before the event. You would probably need to ask for the account creation limit to be lifted (see here but that would need to be for a very tightly defined window, given the potential risks of having unlimited account creation from such an IP). School blocks routinely disable account creation but to compensate for that, we have the Wikipedia:Request an account project, which will create accounts for those hit by anon only blocks. You may also wish to look into the Wikipedia:Account creator user right (which might not be affected by the account creation block on the IP anyway - just waiting to hear back from a developer to confirm). Nick (talk) 13:59, 20 February 2018 (UTC)
Thanks very much for getting back to me. I was obviously rather naive about the level of misuse from that IP. It's potentially everyone using Forcepoint/Websense so on reflection I can see the volumes could be very large. Managing this in the medium term seems awkward - I would like to be able to encourage staff here to sign up for accounts both before the event and afterwards. A temporary lift of the block is useful for the event but won't help with this. If I did request account creator privileges would they be likely to be granted in your view? --Mr impossible (talk) 17:47, 6 March 2018 (UTC)
I'm still not certain on the account creator v account creation block issue. I'm still trying to get a definitive answer. Nick (talk) 07:59, 9 March 2018 (UTC)
Thank you for taking the time to pursue this. --Mr impossible (talk) 11:33, 12 March 2018 (UTC)
I've been informed by Oshwah that the account creator user right won't over-ride the block on the IP, per an ongoing discussion at [1]. I can only suggest that I (or another admin) removes the account creation element of the block for the duration of the edit-a-thon. Nick (talk) 12:18, 12 March 2018 (UTC)
That is correct. Disabling account creation on an IP or range block will disable all account creation from being allowed from behind that IP or range and by anybody - even Stewards are denied from creating accounts if they try to do so. A phab ticket has been filed in response to to subsequent issues that were found when testing the restriction with different user rights. I feel that the true resolution of this matter is to modify the IPBE flag so that it behaves by allowing the user unrestricted use of their account (within their access rights) and as if the IP or range they were behind wasn't blocked at all... but this will most likely require discussion and community comment before we even see such a modification considered. It's going to be quite some time before it's actually fixed. But, yes - to confirm Nick's response here: the only solution to this issue as of this writing is to modify the block and disable the account creation restriction from being enforced. ~Oshwah~(talk) (contribs) 22:50, 12 March 2018 (UTC)
Nick, my apologies for coming back to you about this. I'm struggling to raise a phabricator ticket because the system seems to have a typo in my email (the address phabricator has does not match what I can see in my preferences on either Mediawiki or Wikipedia). Is the account creation block something you could arrange to lift from 1-5pm BST on 28th April? (1-4 would be fine) Or would I be better off posting more generally on the #wikimedia-tech channel? --Mr impossible (talk) 18:22, 25 April 2018 (UTC)
I've enabled account creation from the IP as of now. I figure (a) I'll forget if I don't do it now, and (b) there's a chance you might need it or would find having it enabled beforehand to be useful. Let me know how things go, please. Nick (talk) 19:37, 25 April 2018 (UTC)
You're an absolute legend. Thank you very much. Will do. --Mr impossible (talk) 16:07, 26 April 2018 (UTC)

Administrators' newsletter – March 2018[edit]

News and updates for administrators from the past month (February 2018).

ANEWSicon.png

Administrator changes

added Lourdesdagger
removed AngelOfSadnessBhadaniChris 73CorenFridayMidomMike V
dagger Lourdes has requested that her admin rights be temporarily removed, pending her return from travel.

Guideline and policy news

  • The autoconfirmed article creation trial (ACTRIAL) is scheduled to end on 14 March 2018. The results of the research collected can be read on Meta Wiki.
  • Community ban discussions must now stay open for at least 24 hours prior to being closed.
  • A change to the administrator inactivity policy has been proposed. Under the proposal, if an administrator has not used their admin tools for a period of five years and is subsequently desysopped for inactivity, the administrator would have to file a new RfA in order to regain the tools.
  • A change to the banning policy has been proposed which would specify conditions under which a repeat sockmaster may be considered de facto banned, reducing the need to start a community ban discussion for these users.

Technical news

  • CheckUsers are now able to view private data such as IP addresses from the edit filter log, e.g. when the filter prevents a user from creating an account. Previously, this information was unavailable to CheckUsers because access to it could not be logged.
  • The edit filter has a new feature contains_all that edit filter managers may use to check if one or more strings are all contained in another given string.

Miscellaneous

Obituaries

  • Bhadani (Gangadhar Bhadani) passed away on 8 February 2018. Bhadani joined Wikipedia in March 2005 and became an administrator in September 2005. While he was active, Bhadani was regarded as one of the most prolific Wikipedians from India.

Sent by MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 03:01, 2 March 2018 (UTC)

Copyvio[edit]

Hi, I don't see how a bare list of all exhibitions (not selective) is copyvio, can you explain please? Atlantic306 (talk) 16:31, 11 March 2018 (UTC)

You need to read through Wikipedia:Copyright in lists. You would need to demonstrate you could generate an identical list of exhibitions using independent third party sources if you want to claim that the list is ineligible for copyright protection (which you haven't done) but given there's a claim of using the list under the provisions of fair use (twwhich is nonsense particularly given you're not crediting the initial source, though including a fair use list within an article whilst failing to make explicitly clear the list is fair use is also a problem). Nick (talk) 16:49, 11 March 2018 (UTC)
    • Hi, will try rewriting the list in a different presentation and details as recommended by the essay to avoid copyvio, thanks Atlantic306 (talk) 17:22, 11 March 2018 (UTC)

SPI of interest?[edit]

Hi Nick, not sure if you have any thoughts about this, but I noticed you blocked account Shapin36 as a suspected sock of Shafi674838393939. If you have any particular insight into that editor, I have an open SPI at Wikipedia:Sockpuppet investigations/Shafi674838393939. Thanks, Cyphoidbomb (talk) 03:18, 12 March 2018 (UTC)

File:Rakic_goal_celebration.jpg[edit]

Sorry, tagged it just as you were deleting it, and thus ended up with a blank but tagged page. Thanks ShakespeareFan00 (talk) 16:24, 12 March 2018 (UTC)

Administrators' newsletter – April 2018[edit]

News and updates for administrators from the past month (March 2018).

ANEWSicon.png

Administrator changes

added 331dotCordless LarryClueBot NG
removed Gogo DodoPb30SebastiankesselSeicerSoLando

Guideline and policy news

  • Administrators who have been desysopped due to inactivity are now required to have performed at least one (logged) administrative action in the past 5 years in order to qualify for a resysop without going through a new RfA.
  • Editors who have been found to have engaged in sockpuppetry on at least two occasions after an initial indefinite block, for whatever reason, are now automatically considered banned by the community without the need to start a ban discussion.
  • The notability guideline for organizations and companies has been substantially rewritten following the closure of this request for comment. Among the changes, the guideline more clearly defines the sourcing requirements needed for organizations and companies to be considered notable.
  • The six-month autoconfirmed article creation trial (ACTRIAL) ended on 14 March 2018. The post-trial research report has been published. A request for comment is now underway to determine whether the restrictions from ACTRIAL should be implemented permanently.

Technical news

Arbitration

  • The Arbitration Committee is considering a change to the discretionary sanctions procedures which would require an editor to appeal a sanction to the community at WP:AE or WP:AN prior to appealing directly to the Arbitration Committee at WP:ARCA.

Miscellaneous

  • A discussion has closed which concluded that administrators are not required to enable email, though many editors suggested doing so as a matter of best practice.
  • The Foundations' Anti-Harassment Tools team has released the Interaction Timeline. This shows a chronologic history for two users on pages where they have both made edits, which may be helpful in identifying sockpuppetry and investigating editing disputes.

Sent by MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 01:23, 2 April 2018 (UTC)

Zann khan returns[edit]

The article you salted recently (Zaan khan) has returned under the name Zaan Khan. Is the content the same?--SamHolt6 (talk) 07:11, 6 April 2018 (UTC)

Not only this have a look at Zaan Vaz and Zaan Ali also Wikipedia:Sockpuppet investigations/Manavati. Thank you – GSS (talk|c|em) 07:18, 6 April 2018 (UTC)

Select Survey Invite[edit]

I'm working on a study of political motivations and how they affect editing. I'd like to ask you to take a survey. The survey should take no more than 1-2 minutes. Your survey responses will be kept private. Our project is documented at https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Research:Wikipedia_%2B_Politics.

Your survey Link: https://uchicago.co1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_9S3JByWf57fXEkR?Q_DL=56np5HpEZWkMlr7_9S3JByWf57fXEkR_MLRP_d75hdw7lvade2lD&Q_CHL=gl

I am asking you to participate in this study because you are a frequent editor of pages on Wikipedia that are of political interest. We would like to learn about your experiences in dealing with editors of different political orientations.

Sincere thanks for your help! Porteclefs (talk) 20:08, 14 April 2018 (UTC)

Administrators' newsletter – May 2018[edit]

News and updates for administrators from the past month (April 2018).

ANEWSicon.png

Administrator changes

added None
removed ChochopkCoffeeGryffindorJimpKnowledge SeekerLankiveilPeridonRjd0060

Guideline and policy news

  • The ability to create articles directly in mainspace is now indefinitely restricted to autoconfirmed users.
  • A proposal is being discussed which would create a new "event coordinator" right that would allow users to temporarily add the "confirmed" flag to new user accounts and to create many new user accounts without being hindered by a rate limit.

Technical news

  • AbuseFilter has received numerous improvements, including an OOUI overhaul, syntax highlighting, ability to search existing filters, and a few new functions. In particular, the search feature can be used to ensure there aren't existing filters for what you need, and the new equals_to_any function can be used when checking multiple namespaces. One major upcoming change is the ability to see which filters are the slowest. This information is currently only available to those with access to Logstash.
  • When blocking anonymous users, a cookie will be applied that reloads the block if the user changes their IP. This means in most cases, you may no longer need to do /64 range blocks on residential IPv6 addresses in order to effectively block the end user. It will also help combat abuse from IP hoppers in general. This currently only occurs when hard-blocking accounts.
  • The block notice shown on mobile will soon be more informative and point users to a help page on how to request an unblock, just as it currently does on desktop.
  • There will soon be a calendar widget at Special:Block, making it easier to set expiries for a specific date and time.

Arbitration

Obituaries

  • Lankiveil (Craig Franklin) passed away in mid-April. Lankiveil joined Wikipedia on 12 August 2004 and became an administrator on 31 August 2008. During his time with the Wikimedia community, Lankiveil served as an oversighter for the English Wikipedia and as president of Wikimedia Australia.

Sent by MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 07:05, 2 May 2018 (UTC)

Request for New Page Reviewer Right[edit]

Hello Nick, on the 30th of March, 2017 you removed my New Page Reviewer user rights on en.wikipedia. Rightly so, I have to say, because I was not experienced. In the meantime I have thoroughly read WP:V and WP:RS to learn what reliable sources are, WP:N to learn which subject is notable and which is not and when to apply WP:STICKY and especially when to apply the criteria listed under WP:CCS. I carefully read WP:STUB to learn what is a stub and what is not. So I would kindly ask you to give me another chance at helping the reviewing backlog. Thank you very much in advance--Celestinesucess (talk) 10:13, 31 May 2018 (UTC)

Celestinesucess, while I can't speak for Nick (he may just accept your request) it would probably be best to formally request the right at WP:PERM/NPR. Primefac (talk) 13:03, 31 May 2018 (UTC) (talk page stalker)
Primefac, I think she is following Wikipedia:New pages patrol/Reviewers where it says "Appeals of revocation should be made in the first instance to the revoking administrator...". --Gereon K. (talk) 13:21, 31 May 2018 (UTC)
Fair enough, didn't know that was in the instructions. Primefac (talk) 13:26, 31 May 2018 (UTC)
Yes I am following Wikipedia:New pages patrol/Reviewers. Thank you Gereon K.--Celestinesucess (talk) 13:44, 31 May 2018 (UTC)
I would suggest you file a new request at WP:PERM where the request can be discussed more openly. Nick (talk) 14:26, 31 May 2018 (UTC)

Administrators' newsletter – June 2018[edit]

News and updates for administrators from the past month (May 2018).

ANEWSicon.png

Administrator changes

added None
removed Al Ameer sonAliveFreeHappyCenariumLupoMichaelBillington

Guideline and policy news

Technical news

  • IP-based cookie blocks should be deployed to English Wikipedia in June. This will cause the block of a logged-out user to be reloaded if they change IPs. This means in most cases, you may no longer need to do /64 range blocks on residential IPv6 addresses in order to effectively block the end user. It will also help combat abuse from IP hoppers in general. For the time being, it only affects users of the desktop interface.
  • The Wikimedia Foundation's Anti-Harassment Tools team will build granular types of blocks in 2018 (e.g. a block from uploading or editing specific pages, categories, or namespaces, as opposed to a full-site block). Feedback on the concept may be left at the talk page.
  • There is now a checkbox on Special:ListUsers to let you see only users in temporary user groups.
  • It is now easier for blocked mobile users to see why they were blocked.

Arbitration

  • A recent technical issue with the Arbitration Committee's spam filter inadvertently caused all messages sent to the committee through Wikipedia (i.e. Special:EmailUser/Arbitration Committee) to be discarded. If you attempted to send an email to the Arbitration Committee via Wikipedia between May 16 and May 31, your message was not received and you are encouraged to resend it. Messages sent outside of these dates or directly to the Arbitration Committee email address were not affected by this issue.

Miscellaneous


Sent by MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 21:00, 1 June 2018 (UTC)

You've got mail![edit]

Mail-message-new.svg
Hello, Nick. Please check your email; you've got mail!
It may take a few minutes from the time the email is sent for it to show up in your inbox. You can remove this notice at any time by removing the {{You've got mail}} or {{ygm}} template.Ss112 11:51, 5 June 2018 (UTC)

Carmaker1[edit]

Thanks for adding that comment to Carmaker1's user talk page and for expressing your thoughts and input. The reason I'm messaging you here is to get your input. I'm considering revoking his pending changes reviewer rights, as his recent changes call into question whether or not I believe he has full and proficient knowledge and understanding of the required policies and guidelines. Making bad approvals to pending changes and allowing them to go live for the general public to be able to read can potentially be very bad to have happen (depending on what is accepted of course). What are your thoughts on this, how do you feel, and what do you think? ~Oshwah~(talk) (contribs) 12:02, 5 June 2018 (UTC)