He began sketching with charcoal and pen and ink while still at school before turning to oils. He has participated several times in the ‘Through the Eyes of an Artist’ week held each August at the Halton Region Mountsberg Conservation Area which has provided the subject of many of his paintings. He has displayed regularly at the Arts Milton (AM) Gallery since late 2009.
He lives in Burlington, Ontario.He is president and co-founder of Three Cord Ministries and Ian Ridpath - Oil Painter . Through his professional work in electronics he has authored several technical articles on monolithic integrated circuits. He is the grand-nephew of Bruce Ridpath, professional hockey player for the original Ottawa Senators.
Personal website: http://www.ianridpath.ca
- Amateur Radio and Electronics Study Guide (1989). ISBN 0908749058.
- Level II Radio and Electronics Theory (1986). ISBN 0908749007.
- Rid-Tech Series Transistor Biasing (1987). ISBN 0908749031.
- Rid-Tech Series Digital Logic (1987). ISBN 0908749066.
- The Ridpaths from the Families of Innes, Isbister and Sanderson (1986). ISBN 0908749104.
- September 1977 - Fundamental of Digital Frequency Synthesizers for the Two Metre Amateur Band - part 1 pp 292-296
- October 1977 - Fundamental of Digital Frequency Synthesizers for the Two Metre Amateur Band - part 2 pp 346-350
- May 1979 - The ZL1BCG Synthesizer - pp 163-167
- December 1979 - Tri-Island Dx-pedition pp 531-536
- December 1980 - A Week on Wallis Island pp 570-577
- June 1982 - Modification to the BCG Synthesizer for 600kHz Offset pp 22
- July 1982 - A Simplified Approach to Solid State Linear Amplifier Design - Part I pp 22-27
- August 1982 - A Simplified Approach to Solid State Linear Amplifier Design - Part II pp 15-19
The following are technical application and information notes written for Gennum Corporation.
- Jan 1990 - Modular 16x1 Video Multiplexers 
- May 1989 - Comparison of 16x1 Video Multiplexers
- 1992 - Modelling and PSpice® Analysis of GX4201 Video Crosspoint Switch 
- Jun 1992 - Using the GT4122 & GT4124 Video Mixer ICs 
Examples of landscape oil paintings.