I hope you like this place — I sure do — and want to stay. Before getting too in-depth, you may want to read about the simplified ruleset. If you need help on how to title new articles check out the naming conventions, and for help on formatting the pages visit the manual of style. If you need help look at Wikipedia:Help and the FAQ , plus if you can't find your answer there, check the Village Pump (for Wikipedia related questions) or the Reference Desk (for general questions)! There's still more help at the Tutorial and Policy Library. Plus, don't forget to visit the Community Portal. And if you have any more questions after that, feel free to post them on my user talk page.
You may want to consider getting an account. There are many reasons for this, which are outlined below:
- You can choose any username (provided it isn't offensive and doesn't go against policy).
- Your own userpage and user talk page.
- All edits you make will be assigned to your username, so you will get full credit for all of your contributions.
- You can build a reputation with your username, so others can recognize it.
- You can mark edits as 'minor'. This is for spelling corrections, minor re-paragraphing, and other mostly grammatical corrections.
- You will be able to create new articles.
- You will be able to upload images.
- You will be able to rename pages.
- You will be able to make a watchlist, to keep track of edits on favorite pages.
- Every account can set their own preferences like skinning, the recent changes display, and more.
- Accounts can be nominated to become administrators after an amount of time.
- Users with accounts can vote in some polls and surveys that anonymous users can not, or they may occasionally be given more weight.
- Users that are logged in to their accounts can edit Semi Protected pages after a few days.
For more details on all of these, you can read this.
Most of all, creating an account is free! If you are interested, go here. Leave me a note on my talk page afterwards if you want.
Here's some extra tips to help you get around in the 'pedia!
- If you want to play around with your new Wiki skills the Sandbox is for you.
- You can sign your name using three tildes (~). If you use four, you can add a datestamp too.
- If you ever think a page or image should be deleted, please list it at the votes for deletion page. There is also a votes for undeletion page if you want to retrieve something that you think should not have been deleted.
- If you're still entirely confused, or would like to get a better grasp of your wikipedia skills, and you have an IRC client (or don't mind getting one), check out the Bootcamp. It's not what it sounds like, but it is fun and can help you with your editing skills.
- If you're bored and want to find something to do, try the Random page button in the sidebar, or check out the Open Task message in the Community Portal.