|Search user languages|
My Babel Box
The level indicated corresponds most closely to my reading ability not to my spoken ability. Although Wikipedia makes the default level that of one's mastery of the spoken language that, to me, seems misguided for a project like Wikipedia. Reading and writing are far more important here than speaking. For example, my reading Spanish is at Level 4 (near-native speaker) although my speaking is probably a high 3. For French, I read at a high 3 (or low 4) but my speaking level is a 2 and my listening a high 2 (or low 3). No one, except me of course, is interested in so much information, so I've chosen to rate myself on, primarily, reading and writing, the two skill levels I think are most relevant for Wikipedia.
The languages in Level 1 are all for which, currently, I have a reading ability comparable to that of someone who's finished a first-year college course. This does not mean that I am at a low level as low as that of just knowing a few words nor, on the other hand, does it mean that I'm at a high level as high as that of being able to understand books written for native speakers in primary education. Some of these Level 1 languages (Korean, Tamil, and Turkish) used to be Level 4 for reading and Level 3 for speaking but, through disuse, have slipped further and further down.
I don't bother to list languages for which I know fewer than, say, 1,000 words nor for which I haven't completed the equivalent of a first-year college course for reading.
Your comments are welcome on my talk page.
- Wikipedia:Manual of Style
- Wikipedia:Featured pictures
- Wikipedia:Cheatsheet: <nowiki> </nowiki>
To Do List
- Philip Hoffer
- European Journal of Sociology
- Ed Rosewell
- Selig Harrison
Template for Columns
Africa and African Diaspora
- Malick Sidibé / Mazuku / Rachid Boudjedra / Sally Falk Moore / Kiri Davis / A Girl Like Me / Urban Academy (disambiguation) / Zeinat Olwi
Architecture and Urban Planning
- The Beresford / Aquitania (apartment) / Tokyo Hotel (Chicago) / Alex Anmahian / Handlin, Garrahan, Zachos & Associates / Impossible Cities: A Utopian Experiment / Clarion, Utah / Ether Monument
- John Kearney / Roger Brown (artist) / Caroline Rose Isenberg / Kiri Davis / A Girl Like Me / Urban Academy (disambiguation) / Arthur Mole / The Theater Offensive / Surviving the Nian / Jeffrey Pelehac / Virginio Ferrari (artist) / Katherine Lane Weems / Neon Boneyard actually just a redirect / Zeinat Olwi / Joseph Somers / Ether Monument / Positive Noise / Eilif Peterssen
- Gayatri Reddy / Faisal Devji / Aquitania (apartment) / Tokyo Hotel (Chicago) / John Kearney / Roger Brown (artist) / Impossible Cities: A Utopian Experiment / Colin Masica / Norman Zide / Crossroads Fund / Ronald Inden / Chicago Palestine Film Festival / Brood XIII / Arthur Mole / Virginio Ferrari (artist) / Righteously Outrageous Twirling Corps / Kali Charan Bahl
- Santa Gadea / Barlaam and Josaphat / Sidrak and Bokkus / T. L. Burton / Robert Sonkowsky / Charles H. Beeson
- Ferdinando Camon / Avvenire / Annemarie Selinko / John Knittel / Justus Van Maurik / Aspirated h / Eilif Peterssen
- David Maybury-Lewis / Stanley Jeyaraja Tambiah / Nur Yalman / Alex Anmahian / R.J. Cutler / Caroline Rose Isenberg / Caroline Kaufer / Katherine Lane Weems
Islam see also Southwest Asia and Northwest Africa
- Juan Villoro / Miguel Barnet / Nitza Villapol / Zafra (agriculture) / Comandante Luis Piedrabuena / Maria Sonia Cristoff / Frank Padrón / Johnny Payne (writer)
- Annemarie Selinko / Dasabodhisattuppattikatha / John Knittel / Johnny Payne (writer) / Merari Siregar / Justus Van Maurik
- Gayatri Reddy / Nancy Kates / Christopher Cooper / Saleem Kidwai / Ed Salvato / Ruth Vanita / Masala (Boston) / Miguel Barnet / The Theater Offensive / Surviving the Nian / Righteously Outrageous Twirling Corps / Queens (novel)
- Gayatri Reddy / Faisal Devji / Saleem Kidwai / Manushi / Stanley Jeyaraja Tambiah / Nur Yalman / Barlaam and Josaphat (book) / Sunil Gupta / Ronald Inden / Jejuri (poem) / Masala (Boston) / Dadi Pudumjee / Barlaam and Josaphat / Colin Masica / Norman Zide / Prajwala / Dasabodhisattuppattikatha / Kali Charan Bahl
Southwest Asia and North Africa
USA Academics and Writers