|Directed by||Michael Mann|
|Produced by||Michael Mann
|Distributed by||Universal Pictures|
Public Enemies is a 2009 film adaptation of Bryan Burrough's book Public Enemies: America's Greatest Crime Wave and the Birth of the FBI, 1933-43 directed by Michael Mann. The crime drama is set during The Great Depression with the focus on the FBI agent Melvin Purvis' attempt to stop criminals John Dillinger, Baby Face Nelson, and Pretty Boy Floyd. Johnny Depp will play Dillinger and Christian Bale is in negotiations to play Purvis. Principal photography will begin in Chicago on March 10, 2008 and continue in Illinois and Wisconsin until the end of June.
- Johnny Depp as John Dillinger: An American bank robber whose exploits dominated the press during what is sometimes referred to as the public enemy era, between 1931 and 1935.
- Christian Bale as Melvin Purvis: An FBI agent chosen by J. Edgar Hoover to lead a manhunt to catch Dillinger.
- Marion Cotillard as Billie Frechette: Dillinger's torch singer girlfriend.
- Channing Tatum as Pretty Boy Floyd: An American bank robber and alleged killer.
- Giovanni Ribisi as Alvin Karpis: A noted criminal in the United States known for his alliance with the Barker gang in the 1930s. He was the last "Public Enemy" to be captured.
- Stephen Dorff as Homer Van Meter: A criminal and bank robber active in the early 20th century, most notably as a criminal associate of Dillinger and Baby Face Nelson.
- Jason Clarke as John "Red" Hamilton: A Canadian criminal and bank robber active in the early 20th century, most notably as a criminal associate of Dillinger.
- John Ortiz as Frank Nitti: Al Capone's right-hand man.
- David Wenham as Pete Pierpont: A member of Dillinger's crew.
- Stephen Graham as Baby Face Nelson
Public Enemies is based on Brian Burrough's non-fiction book, Public Enemies: America's Greatest Crime Wave and the Birth of the FBI, 1933-34. It will star Johnny Depp and Mann has written the screenplay with Ronan Bennett and Ann Biderman and will also direct. The actor will play John Dillinger in the film. Leonardo DiCaprio was originally attached to the project, but he is scheduled to appear in Martin Scorsese's Shutter Island.
The decision to shoot parts of the film in Wisconsin came about because of the number of high quality historic buildings. Mann scouted locations in Baraboo and Columbus as well as looking at 1930s-era cars from collectors in the Madison area.
- Pitsch, Mark (January 28, 2008). "Collectors hope classic cars will get movie role". Wisconsin State Journal. Retrieved 2008-01-28. Check date values in:
- Kit, Borys (January 11, 2008). "It's Bale as manhunter in Enemies". Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 2008-01-28. Check date values in:
- Fleming, Michael (January 27, 2008). "Michael Mann rounds up 'Enemies'". Variety. Retrieved 2008-01-28. Check date values in:
- Carroll, Larry (January 29, 2008). "Ortiz Cast In ‘'Public Enemies, Revs Up For Fast And The Furious 4". MTV Movies Blog. Retrieved 2008-01-31. Check date values in:
- Kit, Borys (February 22, 2008). "Wenham, Graham join Public Enemies". Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 2008-02-25. Check date values in:
- Garrett, Diane (December 5, 2007). "Johnny Depp goes Public". Variety. Retrieved 2007-12-04. Check date values in:
- Mayberry, Carly (December 4, 2007). "Depp casing Mann's Public heist". Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 2007-12-04. Unknown parameter
|author=suggested) (help); Check date values in:
- Bauer, Scott (February 26, 2008). "It's official: Johnny Depp is coming to Wisconsin". Chicago Tribune. Retrieved 2008-02-27. Check date values in: