|This user is busy as a university student in real life and may not respond swiftly to queries. She will still respond to emails if a question is urgent.|
Time flies when you go to Wikiversity!
- I am a custodian on the English Wikiversity, a Wikimedia project that hosts open, wiki-based research and courseware. My primary interest is in developing Wikiversity's research facilities, particularly in Computational Biology. In the past, I have been involved with other areas of the encyclopedia, including WikiProject Judaism articles and attempts at dispute resolution. Since school limits the amount of time I have, my editing tends to be sporadic.
- My Username is Spanish for "the weasel," after the cute little animal that takes after its cousin the otter. In this video, it looks like it's swimming through the meadow as it chases after things that seem completely absurd. Weasels will put up a remarkable fight against coyotes, humans and other large animals. Whatever the English language makes them into, weasels are my heroes because of their fearlessness in the face of adversity and their grace when taking on challenges greater than themselves.
- I know User:CordeliaNaismith personally and often work with her on Wikipedia. I've also presented at real-life Wikimedia events and met other Users face to face, particularly User:Pharos. From Fall 2008 to Summer 2010, my primary account was User:AFriedman. I have retired an account named after Jacob Frank, an 18th-century figure from Jewish history. Enjoy my signature: JacobFrank purification through transgression. Yes, he actually said that whenever one sees a boundary, one should transgress it. There are times when the result is delightful—my kind of Wikifauna crosses the great divide between land and water, becoming a creature of both. Here is the story behind the Jacob Frank account.
For New Users
Welcome to Wikipedia and Happy Editing! If you're not sure how to edit or just want to learn more, this free workshop on a related site called WikiEducator will teach you the ropes and connect you with some of the friendliest and most enthusiastic people in the wiki world. It's regularly offered as an online course, which I took back when I was a novice user.
My Research Projects
- G-Protein Coupled Receptor Gene Duplication Project - computational analysis of databases
- Echinoderm Nervous System Evolution Project - laboratory techniques
Essays Under Revision
- An essay about self-organization and its role in the evolution of complexity, currently formulated as a course
- How the theories of the Modern Evolutionary Synthesis should be reformulated for today's evolutionary biologists
I am also involved with editing articles about Judaism and Jewish history. As an avid reader and a mythology buff who loves tales of little folk that beat the odds, I'm proud to be part of that particular story. If you're interested or just curious, go ahead and leave me a message. In the meantime, here are some of my favorite links about the topic:
- Judaism 101: Plenty of basic information about Judaism
- Jewish Holidays, from the Union for Reform Judaism
- Section of the Torah (Pentateuch) that is read in synagogues this week
- Jewish Virtual Library: More information about Jewish topics
- Jews, God and History by Max I. Dimont: A bestselling book that provides an engaging introduction to Jewish history
- Conversion to Judaism: Resources for those who are considering becoming full-fledged members of our tribe, and for Jews interested in outreach
...and spiced with antinomianism!
La comadreja has been identified as an Awesome Wikipedian,
A record of your Day will always be kept here.
|The Good Heart Barnstar|
|La comadreja accept newcomers with open arms, exhibiting endless reserves of patience and kindness, and helping Wikipedia become a better place. Thank you! DocOfSoc (talk) 09:21, 8 September 2010 (UTC)|
|The Random Acts of Kindness Barnstar|
|Dear AFriedman, Thank you very much for the helpful answer you gave to the new user who wrote on my talkpage. Love, CordeliaNaismith (talk) 20:01, 7 February 2010 (UTC)|
|The Barnstar of David|
|This barnstar is awarded to AFriedman for kosher contributions to Wikipedia, such as edits to the Judaism page, and for non-kosher contributions designed to increase WikiLove, such as the pork pie she gave me to make my talk page more appetizing. It is also given for her thoughtful and always civil contributions to article talk pages, and for her edits to the article on a certain high school, which were apparently within the scope of WP:NPOV. Love, CordeliaNaismith (talk) 03:23, 23 December 2009 (UTC)|