- I am a medical student.
July 2006 It's about time to update again since I "celebrated" my WP birthday in the past month and have since graduated from college. Everything else still applies. :) Wrote up the "milestones" section.
Jan 2006 It's been long enough that I should put up a new bio... but I currently do not have the time for writing it. What I will say is:
- I do a lot of copy-editing/cleanup
- I try to NPOV where I encounter it
- I follow article links until I get to random subjects, which is why my edits tend to be esoteric
- I believe in Wikipedia and that it can become as good of a source, if not better, than Encyclopedia Britannica (and a good sign of the progress is the Nature comparison between the the two encyclopedias)
In the increasing trend of identifying my biases:
- I am studying engineering at MIT
- I lean left on social issues
- I believe in a sleeker Wikipedia, with fewer little orphan articles and more encyclopedic entries. I am still shocked that Gwen Stefani's song was a front-page, featured article.
July 2005 New user... been using Wikipedia for a few months now, had an unholy urge to spend my life reading up on everything in Wikipedia, created an article, so I figured I should register. Some of my early edits, which were anonymous, and maybe even more recent ones which are under my name, may not be following all the etiquette rules of editing since I read the tutorial late at night one day. I'm learning as I go, please tell me if I'm doing things wrong.
I hope to start contributing to other language projects since that will help me gain more familiarity with them. With any luck and a lot of diligence, in a few years, I will be able to put down fr-3. I also speak Cantonese, but that's not much help here on a text-based website :)
Cool WP toys
- Interiot's JS edit counter Text-based edit count results
- Another Interiot counter This one is sexier, with all sorts of fun graphics, but isn't up-to-date
- [Advice on grammar, writing style, etc.]
To do list
As I browse Wikipedia, articles that I feel are lacking a certain something... in most cases, copyediting or NPOVing:
- First_robotics 02:08, 19 December 2005 (UTC)
- Postcards from Buster 02:08, 19 December 2005 (UTC)
- Bose Headphone Family 02:51, 19 December 2005 (UTC)
- Wonton 07:48, 28 January 2006 (UTC)
- tang yuan 07:48, 28 January 2006 (UTC)
My WP firsts are memorable for me mostly because it took so much time before I felt confident enough to actually make a change -- between researching the topic at hand and the WP conventions and not being sufficiently bold. To tell the truth, WP does have a pretty high barrier to editing if the new editor is concerned about WP etiquette. Even now, I spend a lot of time making sure I'm hopefully using the correct templates and making things look pretty.
- First edit (on Wikipedia) was to create the article Virlomi, a character from Ender's Game (pretty much all the other characters already had their own page, and Virlomi was a sad dead link). This was on June 3, 2005.
- First edit (under this name) came after I poked around a bit and decided I wanted to stay. I edited a subject close to my heart -- chocolate -- removing some misconceptions and erroneous information on July 1, 2005
- First edit of current news event with research both online and off: 7 July 2005 London bombings
- First edit to a template: Template:AfD footer on July 3, 2005
- First encounter with Wikipedia: Articles for deletion on July 3, 2005
- Shortly after my first year anniversary on WP, I unceremoniously made my 500th edit on AK-47s on July 11, 2006.
- Found out that the one and only picture I have uploaded to wikipedia was copyvio'ed by commons.wikimedia user Ale Flashero. Not cool. I discovered this Jan 27, 2008. It makes me very angry, which annoys me because I love MSM and this taints the memory.
Articles I've created
Articles I have substantially rewritten/basically created