A proud Welshman and Welsh speaker, i worked for over two years as a Wikipedian in Residence before becoming the National Wikimedian at the National Library of Wales. I am an open advocate, historian and Wikidata convert. I believe Wikimedia and the culture sector are natural partners, and am keen to explore and demonstrate the value of this partnership.
I like to spend my spare time in the great outdoors, cycling, kayaking and rambling.
The National Library of Wales, Wikimedia UK, and the editing community have worked together since 2014 to host a Wikimedian in Residence and in August 2017 the National Library appointed a permanent Wikimedian to their staff. Wikipedia and its sister projects are now a core aspect of the Library’s activities and services. Building on the successful collaboration between the Library, Wikimedia UK and the Wiki community, the National Wikimedian leads activities associated with the Library’s collections, Wales as a nation and the Welsh language. The Library continues to share openly licenced images and collection data with Wikimedia and continues to deliver community driven events and projects aimed at improving content in Welsh and about Wales on Wikipedia. The Library innovates in the use of Wikidata to share and enrich it's collections, resulting in improved services for its users.
Aims and Objectives
- Promote Welsh history, language and culture on Wikimedia platforms.
- Help to build, grow and sustain new editor communities.
- Provide open access to digital content from the National Library via Wikimedia platforms.
- Work with the Welsh Government, education and culture sectors to build partnerships, promote open access and encourage engagement with Wikimedia projects.
- Secure funding for, and deliver projects for improving quality and scope of the Welsh language Wicipedia.
- Develop and deliver Wiki projects for volunteers and the National Library of Wales, and develop the Wiki visiting scholar scheme.