|Founded||Beverly Hills, CA, U.S. (1996 )|
|Headquarters||Los Angeles, CA, U.S.|
Scott Weingarten, MD, MPH President and Chief Executive Officer
Gregory H. Dorn, MD, MPH Executive Vice President & Chief Operating Officer
David Rhew, MD
Vice President, Content Development and Client Services
Patricia S. Button, EdD, RN Chief Nursing Officer
Vice President, Information Technology
Carina Edwards, MBA
Vice President, Marketing and Product Management
Kimberly Denney, MBA
Vice President, International
Vice President, Sales and Business Development
Number of employees
Zynx Health Incorporated, commonly known as Zynx Health, was founded in 1996 by thought leaders in evidence-based healthcare and healthcare quality improvement. Acquired by Hearst Corporation in 2004, Zynx Health has grown to become a recognized leader in evidence-based clinical decision support, with 99.2% of the market share among all hospitals that have bought evidence-based order sets, and 68.5% of the market share among all hospitals that have bought evidence-based plans of care in the United States. Zynx Health offers a suite of online solutions that help clinicians treat their patients based on the best available evidence from systematic research.
In 1996 Cedars-Sinai founded Zynx as a wholly owned subsidiary with an investment of less than $500,000, after an earlier pilot project with 10 hospitals to test whether evidence-based guidelines had a positive impact on healthcare proved to be successful.
The name Zynx was derived by taking the least frequently used letters in the alphabet and arranging them into a pronounceable word.
On May 1, 2002, Zynx Health was acquired by the Cerner Corporation. Less than two years later, on March 15, 2004, Zynx Health was acquired by the Hearst Corporation. On July 8, 2004, Zynx Health moved its offices from the original Beverly Hills, CA, location to its current location in Los Angeles, CA.
Zynx Health serves over 1,700 hospitals in the United States; together these hospitals comprise approximately 44% of all patients discharged from U.S. hospitals. As reported by Hearst Corporation, in 2008 a total of 169 hospitals joined Zynx Health’s client roster and similar growth is expected in 2009.
Products and Services
Zynx Health’s physicians, nurses, and pharmacists employ a rigorous research methodology to analyze peer-reviewed studies, best practices, and guidelines, and publish the latest evidence into actionable recommendations and clinical decision support. Clinicians at more than 1,700 hospitals nationwide use these online solutions to measurably improve the quality, safety, and efficiency of patient care. Currently Zynx Health produces five products: ZynxEvidence, ZynxOrder, ZynxCare, Zynx AmbulatoryCare, and Zynx OncologyCare.
- ZynxEvidence is an in-depth reference source to develop evidence-based guidelines, pathways, and protocols integrating best practices as well as regulatory and pay-for performance standards. ZynxEvidence features a suite of forecasting functions to help quantify how effectively evidence-based clinical interventions can improve outcomes in care organizations.
- ZynxOrder is the knowledge management system for developing and maintaining evidence-based order sets, alerts, and reminders. Customized evidence-based order sets can be assimilated into clinicians’ workflow either on paper or online through a computerized provider order entry (CPOE) or electronic medical record (EMR) application.
- ZynxCare is the evidence-based decision support tool developed exclusively for nurses and the interdisciplinary care team. It delivers evidence to bedside clinicians so they can treat patients based on the latest evidence, regulatory guidelines, and performance measures without interrupting their workflow. ZynxCare plans of care are comprehensive and feature rigorously developed evidence-based content, easy customizability, and the capability for seamless integration into an interdisciplinary team’s workflow—either in a paper-based format or by exporting into a clinical information system.
- Zynx AmbulatoryCare drives quality improvement across the continuum of care by offering ambulatory care practices a suite of rigorously developed evidence-based clinical content. It includes clinical decision support content for 100+ diseases/conditions and is designed to support disease management and general health maintenance within the primary care setting. 
- Zynx OncologyCare offers a comprehensive library of actionable order sets developed through a collaboration with the National Comprehensive Cancer Network (NCCN). The order sets are based on the NCCN Chemotherapy Order Templates™ and are consistent with the NCCN Clinical Practice Guidelines in Oncology™ and the NCCN Drugs & Biologics Compendium™ 
Zynx Health has many clients that have documented their improved outcomes which have, in part, been realized by working with Zynx. Published findings include:
Hauck LD, Adler LM, Mulla ZD. Clinical pathway care improves outcomes among patients hospitalized for community-acquired pneumonia. Ann Epidemiol. 2004 Oct;14(9):669-675.
Gounder PP, Rhew DC, Landry L, Sklar T, Dorn GH, Wong J, Weingarten SR. A multi-center intervention to improve care for hospitalized medical floor patients with community-acquired pneumonia. JCOM. 2003;10:431-438.
Meehan TP, Weingarten SR, Holmboe ES, Mathur D, Wang Y, Petrillo MK, et al. A statewide initiative to improve the care of hospitalized pneumonia patients: The Connecticut Pneumonia Pathway Project. Am J Med 2001;111(3):203–210.
Zynx Health has offices located in Los Angeles, CA, and in Indianapolis, IN.
- Pollock, D (June 27, 2008). “Information Solutions for the Clinical Workflow”. Outsell, Inc. Retrieved on 7 August 2008, from: http://www.outsellinc.com/store/products/739?refid=prz.
- Hearst Corporation: Properties http://www.hearst.com/business_media/property/zynx_health.html
- ZynxEvidence http://www.zynxhealth.com/MainNav/ZynxSolutions/ZynxEvidence/tabid/83/Default.aspx
- ZynxOrder http://www.zynxhealth.com/MainNav/ZynxSolutions/ZynxOrder/tabid/84/Default.aspx
- ZynxCare http://www.zynxhealth.com/MainNav/ZynxSolutions/ZynxCare/tabid/85/Default.aspx
- Zynx AmbulatoryCare http://www.zynxhealth.com/MainNav/ZynxSolutions/ZynxAmbulatoryCare/tabid/86/Default.aspx
- Zynx Health Launches Zynx OncologyCare™, Providing Evidence-Based Chemotherapy Order Sets Developed With The NCCN http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/146913.php
- Clinical pathway care improves outcomes among patients hospitalized for community-acquired pneumonia. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15380798?dopt=Abstract
- A statewide initiative to improve the care of hospitalized pneumonia patients: The Connecticut Pneumonia Pathway Project http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11530031?dopt=Abstract