Images can make such a difference in an article and help explain things that words simply cannot. True, there is such a thing as too many pictures in an article, but too many articles suffer from too few. I have contributed several hundred images, most of which are in the public domain now. All of my public domain images and files are now on the Wikimedia Commons, which I registered for in January 2008. Having the PD images on the Commons allows more people to use them in the various language versions of Wikipedia and allows them to be grouped with similar images better. On top of all this, it allows editors to upload more photos and not have to worry about them being used right away in an article like on Wikipedia. Images not used on Wikipedia become orphaned and will be deleted if they are left like that for long. It also frees up more space on Wikipedia for article creation and expansion.
- 1 Public domain photos I have uploaded
- 2 Maps I have created
- 3 Other image files I have created
- 4 Fair-use images and other logos
- 5 Pictures I have edited
Public domain photos I have uploaded
I try to get pictures of buildings or other visual aspects to be used in various articles. My policy is only to use my own pictures if another one hasn't already been uploaded or if I feel my image is in every way far superior to the one I am replacing or is an update. No need to replace an image that is already good and up to date! As of June 11, 2018, I have contributed 463 image files to Wikipedia including 425 public domain images on the Commons. My earliest images were all uploaded as straight public domain images, meaning they can be used by anyone for anything. Most images, though, are uploaded using the Creative Commons license, which allows for use of the images in just about anything, just as long as I am attributed. Of the public domain files, 366 are my photographs (362 I took myself, 3 that my grandpa took, and 1 that a friend took for me), 45 are maps, 9 are simple graphics that I use in templates, and 5 are cropped images from previously published, publicly-available files (4 photographs and 1 map). I have also uploaded 38 copyrighted or trademarked logos and images under fair use for use in the appropriate article(s).
Being from and living in Kent, Ohio, means getting photos for the various articles related to things here is fairly easy. In addition to many historical buildings and various cityscape photos, I have also taken a significant amount of photos on the main campus of Kent State University and have created several graphics for use in various articles.
Original Carnegie building of the Kent Free Library, 2006. Photo used by Encyclopedia Britannica
Kent Free Library, 2006
Carnegie portion of the Kent Free Library built 1902-1903, September 2009.
Eastern wall of the Carnegie portion of the Kent Free Library, September 2009.
September 2009 view of the Kent Free Library 2006 addition.
Front of Kent Free Library in 2009
Main lobby of the 2006 section of the Kent Free Library
Another rear view of the Kent Free Library as seen from River Street
P&O Canal aqueduct in southern Kent, built ca. 1840.
Site of the Hopkins Stone Building, a listing on the NRHP
Franklin Township Hall, September 2009.
Franklin Township Hall, 2009. The cupola at the top has also been updated since the 2006 picture.
Downtown Kent looking northwest on East Main Street.
Headquarters of the Davey Tree Expert Company
Cuyahoga River near Tannery Park, October 2012
Offices of Ametek
Images I have taken of various facilities in the Kent City School District.
Emma Williard School near Brady Lake, October 2011. Closed since 1978
Kent State University
I have taken lots of pictures on the main campus of Kent State University in Kent, particularly the various athletic facilities, but also some of the older buildings on campus that date to the early 20th century. In addition, I uploaded the SVG version of the Kent State seal and the official typeface logo and PNG versions of the typeface logo for the regional campuses:
- File:Kent State seal.svg
- File:Kent State University logo.svg
- File:KSU Ashtabula.png
- File:KSU East Liverpool.png
- File:Stark Logo.png
- File:KSU Salem.png
Kent State Athletics
Most photos I take involving Kent State Athletics are of the facilities, though I have also uploaded versions of the various athletic logos and a few copyrighted historical photos under Fair-use. Most logos are SVG versions as they display better on the various devices Wikpedia operates on since SVG is not affected by changes in size where PNG and JPG files can be. The historic photographs come from the Kent State University Special Collections and Archives.
- File:Kent State athletic logo.svg; official Kent State athletic logo, which debuted in 2000
- File:Kent State baseball.svg; specific logo for baseball
- File:Kent State basketball.svg; specific logo for men's and women's basketball
- File:Kent State football.svg; sepcific logo for football
- File:Kent State K.svg; general "K" logo used in many articles since the logo is not copyrightable
- File:Kent State Centennial athletic.png; used for the 2009–10 and 2010–11 seasons to commemorate the university centennial
- File:Memorial Stadium Kent State 1965.tif; 1965 aerial of Memorial Stadium, cropped from larger
- File:Memorial Stadium Kent new.tif; Aerial of Memorial Stadium in 1950 when new
- File:New University Athletic Field Kent.tif; 1941 photo of Memorial Stadium, then known as Athletic Field
- File:Rockwell Field Kent aerial.png; 1930s aerial showing Rockwell Field
- File:Kent State Baseball Rockwell Field.png; 1930s baseball game at Rockwell Field
- File:Rockwell Field Kent 1937.png; 1937 photo of marching band at Rockwell Field
- File:Rockwell Field Kent 1925.png; 1925 photo of cars at Rockwell Field
- File:Wills Gym interior 1934.jpg; 1934 interior photo of Wills Gymnasium
- File:Wills Gym interior 1930.png; 1930 interior photo of Wills Gymnasium
- File:Wills Gym rear.png; 1969 photo of Wills Gymnasium
February 2010 vs. Miami
Action shot, KSU vs. Ohio, November 2012
Although I have been to many sites of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints around the country, especially those dealing with LDS history, most didn't need a public domain image. A few of the ones here in Ohio did, so I took the liberty of adding them!
I've taken several photos in the surrounding areas of Portage County. In addition to the Kent listings on the National Register of Historic Places, I have also taken several pictures of other listings in the county for the chart that lists all the sites.
Rear section of Riddle Block No. 5, located on North Prospect Street just north of East Main Street, 2009
The Portage County courthouse
Old section of Ravenna High School, 2009. Demolished in 2013
Entrance to University Hospitals Portage Medical Center, October 2013, still known as Robinson Memorial Hospital
This is for pictures I have uploaded for places outside Kent and Portage County. Many are of schools and sports facilities I visit.
Lee Jackson Field, May 2014
Toledo Rockets "Varsity T" Hall of Fame, January 2012
Maps I have created
Most of these maps I have created were done using Photoshop 7. Most were location maps for the individual townships, cities, and villages of Portage County, with one a crop of a larger public domain image.
Map showing area Portage County, Ohio covered when first organized in 1808.
Map showing Portage County school districts with township and municipal boundaries overlaid
Map the townships and municipalities of Portage County, Ohio that I made based on the maps from the US Census.
Windham Township in Portage County.
The village of Windham in Portage County.
The small portions of the city of Tallmadge, Ohio that are in Portage County.
The village of Sugar Bush Knolls in Portage County.
Suffield Township in Portage County.
The city of Streetsboro in Portage County.
Shalersville Township in Portage County.
Rootstown Township in Portage County.
Ravenna Township in Portage County.
The city of Ravenna in Portage County.
Randolph Township in Portage County.
Paris Township in Portage County.
Palmyra Township in Portage County.
Nelson Township in Portage County.
The part of the village of Mogadore in Portage County.
Mantua Township in Portage County.
The village of Mantua in Portage County.
The city of Kent in Portage County.
Hiram Township in Portage County.
The village of Hiram in Portage County.
The village of Garrettsville in Portage County.
Freedom Township in Portage County.
Franklin Township in Portage County.
Edinburg Township in Portage County.
Deerfield Township in Portage County.
Charlestown Township in Portage County.
Brimfield Township in Portage County.
The village of Brady Lake in Portage County.
The city of Aurora in Portage County.
Atwater Township in Portage County.
Other image files I have created
These were made to be part of two templates I created for retired numbers at Kent State University. See Template: Kent State Golden Flashes football retired numbers and Template: Kent State Golden Flashes men's basketball retired numbers.
Fair-use images and other logos
In addition to the logos mentioned in earlier sections, I have uploaded additional copyrighted logos and photos, used under Fair-use. In many cases I upload them so that a higher quality PNG or SVG file exists. Some are not actually copyrighted:
- File:ATMlogo.png; logo of the Arizona Tucson Mission
- File:Davey Tree logo.png; logo of the Davey Tree Expert Company, which was founded and has its corporate headquarters in Kent.
- File:FieldFalcon.jpg; logo for Field High School
- File:Kentlogo.png; logo for the city of Kent, Ohio, known as the Tree City
- File:Kent Roosevelt seal.svg; seal for my alma mater Theodore Roosevelt High School. Replaced the previous PNG version (File:Theodore Roosevelt High School Seal.png), which was the first image I ever uploaded on Wikipedia, back on October 28, 2005
- File:Kent City Schools logo.png; logo for the Kent City School District
- File:Kent Union School.jpg; photo of the Union School in Kent, which was used from 1869–1953
- File:Marvin Kent.jpg; picture of Kent, Ohio namesake Marvin Kent
- File:Mount Union logo.png; logo of the University of Mount Union in Alliance, Ohio
- File:New Roosevelt logo.PNG; athletic logo for my alma mater the Kent Roosevelt Rough Riders
- File:Record-Courier cover 92609.png; example of the cover of the local newspaper, the Record-Courier.
- File:Robinson Logo.jpg; logo of Robinson Memorial Hospital in Ravenna, which has since been renamed University Hospitals Portage Medical Center
- File:RootstownRovers.png; logo for Rootstown High School I uploaded a PNG version of
- File:Smithers-Oasis logo.png; logo for Smithers-Oasis, which is headquartered in Kent
- File:Stark State logo.svg logo for Stark State College
- File:Stark State seal.svg; seal for Stark State College
Pictures I have edited
Occasionally I will find pictures that are good, but could use some cropping because of excess sky or ground or need straightened. When possible, I ask the original uploader if they have a problem with me cropping and uploading the newer version.
Crop of an image of the Salt Lake Tabernacle organ